MATH1131 Tutorials Attendance. (1 Viewer)

wb47

HSC
Hey everyone,

so far I've been to every tutorial but sometimes I feel I could be more productive at home, how many tutorials can I not attend for MATH1131 (Without getting an automatic fail)?

Thanks

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
80%

but i believe science and engineering subjects dont really care about your attendance

HSC
N/A
I've never heard of them failing someone in 1131 for not attending enough. On the other hand, if you rock up with a problem later in the session, or if you are sick for the final, they are likely to look at whether you have been attending before they do something like give you a deferred.

I usually find tutorials pretty useful - as long as I have done some problems beforehand, ie it is better to do them beforehand, then maybe skip the tutorial if you can do everything, than skip the tutorial and then try to do it all at home.

D94

HSC
N/A
The attendance comes into play if you apply for Special Consideration (you can't know what will happen during exam time, you may fall ill or just happen to score just less than 50%). If they see you've underperformed, they will most likely infer it was due to your lack of attendance, regardless of what the real reason was.

But, for Maths, you can skip a total of 4 tutorials to be within an average of 80% attendance.

wb47

HSC
The attendance comes into play if you apply for Special Consideration (you can't know what will happen during exam time, you may fall ill or just happen to score just less than 50%). If they see you've underperformed, they will most likely infer it was due to your lack of attendance, regardless of what the real reason was.

But, for Maths, you can skip a total of 4 tutorials to be within an average of 80% attendance.
So it is not an automatic fail if I attend <80%?

D94

HSC
N/A
So it is not an automatic fail if I attend <80%?
I can't say for sure. But when they say things like "you are required to attend at least 80% of classes" etc., it sort of implies if you don't attend 80% and something unexpected happens, then you've got to handle the consequences.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You should go anyway just in case you can't do a few problems. And if not, you may find a different way or better way of solving a problem in your tute.

I know I was completely stuck on a question in 2620 - but I went to my tute and I was presented with three fantastic ways of solving the problem.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
just do your own stuff in the tute then and listen to the background maths tutor talk.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
(just make sure you don't get picked to do a question)

I sat in a MATH1151 tute last week and there was this person who insisted that:

had a value of x or m for which there had to be equality.

His reasoning: you used a lesser than and equal to sign.

The tutor proceded to just write: .

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
sorry, math1251.

(makes it even worse)

I feel sorry for that kid who just learned a week ago what the actual meaning of and are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)