Math1231???!!!! *stressing* help!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Phouna

HSC
N/A
Freaking out! why can't i enrol into math1231?

Is it full? What am I meant to do if it is? Don't I NEED to undertake this course in order to become a mathematics teacher? *STRESSING*

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
Freaking out! why can't i enrol into math1231?

Is it full? What am I meant to do if it is? Don't I NEED to undertake this course in order to become a mathematics teacher? *STRESSING*
Calm down. MATH1231 is not full, but it is quite close to being full. See here: Class Details

Are you entering your first year? If so, are you sure you are meant to take MATH1231, as it is a Mathematics 1B course (as in, not 1131 Mathematics 1A). What degree are you doing? If you're starting first year I would assume you shouldn't be doing MATH1231, but of course you need to check that for yourself.

According to the timetable, there are still approximately 25 spots left in the lecture, and 21 in the tutorials.

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Check your course handbook, you're probably meant to do 1131 first. You can't enrol in 1231 because 1131 is a pre-req and you haven't done it yet.

Phouna

HSC
N/A
THANKS GUYS :) ! I was freaking out too much and realise that MATH1231 is in Semester two >_<"

I have a free elective to choose... I don't know what I want to do.... would it be wise for me to pick something out of the faculty of science?

sunny

meh.
HSC
THANKS GUYS :) ! I was freaking out too much and realise that MATH1231 is in Semester two >_<"

I have a free elective to chose... I don't know what I want to do.... would it be wise for me to pick something out of the faculty of science?
Don't know what your degree is, you should check if there are any restrictions on your electives.

jeffchong

HSC
Assuming that you've already done MATH1131 and you need to do MATH1231 as a prerequisite for other courses - bad news for u, you should've done MATH1231 in summer. MATH1231 is not offered in semester 1 and the next time you can do MATH1231 is in semester 2

Phouna

HSC
N/A
I'm completely utterly lost... I seriously don't know what course or electives to do...
I'm doing B Education/ B Science

So far I've got the compulsory course to become a mathematics teacher:
MATH1131
EDST1101

BUT I don't know what to do for my 6 UOC science elective and 6 UOC free elective :(

I placed down MATH1081 Discrete mathematics and I realise that it is one of the elective we have to do in semester two...

thanks for everything guys... I feel a little better after reading everyone replies :D

"Lee-.-Roy"

HSC
gonna try and help here =/

firstly, below 2 links should be a run down of your whole degree

maths: here (source: school website)
ed: here (source: unsw handbook 2010)

for your info, i'm a BE/BSc (physics) student so i shouldn't know too much, but i guess this is my shot at it.

so, at least for first year, i'd imagine the following:

Sem 1:
- Math1131 (or 1141)
- MATH1081 (i checked and it seems to be offered. capacity is at 87/200 for sem 1 atm)
- Science course 1 (eg. phys)
- EDST1101

Sem 2 (you should have time to see student centre to work it out by then)
- Math 1231 (or 1241)
- Science course 2
- Science course 3
- EDST1104

as with an explanation of the science courses:

your degree is 192 UoC in total. 90 is on Ed as compulsory, 60 on Maths as compulsory (if you count the ones on the school's website i think it should be 60. i didn't count it its a feel). another 12 is on history of maths etc.

this leaves 30 UoC left, meaning, 5 six UoC courses left to do at your disposal. you also need to meet the criteria of 84UoC from science schools, but you only have 72 down AT MOST (I don't know if the history of maths ones are science courses) through maths. That is why you need to make contact with other science schools for at least 12 UoC.

I believe what I have chosen for you will NOT derail your degree so for current purposes (for you to stay away from long lines formed by fellow lost first yrs) you can enrol in them.

In higher years, or when you're even confirming your 2nd semester courses, always go and ask for help from science student centre (webster building) or maths student centre (red centre).

and lastly, I don't do your degree, this is just some quick search i've done through the web for you :). apologies if theres mistakes.

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Why would you want to become a maths teacher?:confused:

Just kidding :rofl:

Phouna

HSC
N/A
gonna try and help here =/

firstly, below 2 links should be a run down of your whole degree

maths: here (source: school website)
ed: here (source: unsw handbook 2010)

for your info, i'm a BE/BSc (physics) student so i shouldn't know too much, but i guess this is my shot at it.

so, at least for first year, i'd imagine the following:

Sem 1:
- Math1131 (or 1141)
- MATH1081 (i checked and it seems to be offered. capacity is at 87/200 for sem 1 atm)
- Science course 1 (eg. phys)
- EDST1101

Sem 2 (you should have time to see student centre to work it out by then)
- Math 1231 (or 1241)
- Science course 2
- Science course 3
- EDST1104

as with an explanation of the science courses:

your degree is 192 UoC in total. 90 is on Ed as compulsory, 60 on Maths as compulsory (if you count the ones on the school's website i think it should be 60. i didn't count it its a feel). another 12 is on history of maths etc.

this leaves 30 UoC left, meaning, 5 six UoC courses left to do at your disposal. you also need to meet the criteria of 84UoC from science schools, but you only have 72 down AT MOST (I don't know if the history of maths ones are science courses) through maths. That is why you need to make contact with other science schools for at least 12 UoC.

I believe what I have chosen for you will NOT derail your degree so for current purposes (for you to stay away from long lines formed by fellow lost first yrs) you can enrol in them.

In higher years, or when you're even confirming your 2nd semester courses, always go and ask for help from science student centre (webster building) or maths student centre (red centre).

and lastly, I don't do your degree, this is just some quick search i've done through the web for you :). apologies if theres mistakes.

YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTELY LIFESAVER!!!! :D Thank you!!! *hugs*:jump:

hahas Jm01.... I tend to get many responses like yours when I tell people I want to become a maths teacher... :/

Phouna

HSC
N/A
This is such GREAT! My classes( lectures) clash ( Discrete Mathematics& Fundamental Physics).

It's compulsory for me to do Discrete mathematics in Semester 2 from the enrolment guide... but now I'm stuck with what to do with my free elective - what can I do? ... I'm guessing it'll be wise for me to do Discrete mathematics in semester two....:confused::confused::confused:

Seems like uni hates me already :(

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
hahas Jm01.... I tend to get many responses like yours when I tell people I want to become a maths teacher... :/
There's nothing wrong with that of course. But most people don't go to uni and do maths related degrees intending to become a high school maths teacher... I think most of them do other jobs before becoming a maths teacher (and often as a result do a DipEd on top of their maths degree).

"Lee-.-Roy"

HSC
This is such GREAT! My classes( lectures) clash ( Discrete Mathematics& Fundamental Physics).

It's compulsory for me to do Discrete mathematics in Semester 2 from the enrolment guide... but now I'm stuck with what to do with my free elective - what can I do? ... I'm guessing it'll be wise for me to do Discrete mathematics in semester two....:confused::confused::confused:

Seems like uni hates me already :(
lol take it easy. really as i've explained before, its basicly 'anything' you want if im not mistaken.

ie apart from physics, choose something else..! alternatively, choose something other than physics. if you've done physics for HSC, then do phys1121 etc. maybe do chem.. anything...

i guess you can do discrete maths in 2nd sem. once again its up to you.

if you're really paranoid, contact school of maths and ask for help.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Phouna,

I graduated from your course 2 years ago. The rules have changed slightly since then, but not that much.

You don't have to do follow the absolute letter of the enrollment guide concerning the timing of your courses. You do have to make sure that you do all the compulsory courses to get your degree, and you do have to pay attention to pre-requisites (otherwise it might take you longer to get through your degree than it otherwise would have.)

In short, there is no reason why you can't do discrete maths in S1 if you want to.

As for your electives, there are several different approaches you can take. You could just do a bunch of science subjects in some area that you like (make sure that you don't end up with too many level I subjects, though.)

You can also try to get a second teaching subject by taking an "unofficial" minor. Physics is the natural area to try, as you will be able to make use of the synergy between physics and mathematics. Also, there is a big demand for physics teachers, so it would seriously enhance your employability. (Btw, employability for maths teachers it not really a big issue, as there is quite a shortage of us!) Adding bio, OTOH, it not going to achieve much as there are already a lot of bio teachers graduating each year.

The other option, and the one that I would suggest, is to just do as many maths subjects as possible. Doing more maths at uni will make you a better teacher. Also, something like 50% of new teachers leave teaching within the first 5 years, and if you have done a lot of maths at uni, you will have a strong foundation for doing something else.

Phouna

HSC
N/A
Phouna,

I graduated from your course 2 years ago. The rules have changed slightly since then, but not that much.

You don't have to do follow the absolute letter of the enrollment guide concerning the timing of your courses. You do have to make sure that you do all the compulsory courses to get your degree, and you do have to pay attention to pre-requisites (otherwise it might take you longer to get through your degree than it otherwise would have.)

In short, there is no reason why you can't do discrete maths in S1 if you want to.

As for your electives, there are several different approaches you can take. You could just do a bunch of science subjects in some area that you like (make sure that you don't end up with too many level I subjects, though.)

You can also try to get a second teaching subject by taking an "unofficial" minor. Physics is the natural area to try, as you will be able to make use of the synergy between physics and mathematics. Also, there is a big demand for physics teachers, so it would seriously enhance your employability. (Btw, employability for maths teachers it not really a big issue, as there is quite a shortage of us!) Adding bio, OTOH, it not going to achieve much as there are already a lot of bio teachers graduating each year.

The other option, and the one that I would suggest, is to just do as many maths subjects as possible. Doing more maths at uni will make you a better teacher. Also, something like 50% of new teachers leave teaching within the first 5 years, and if you have done a lot of maths at uni, you will have a strong foundation for doing something else.

Thank so much for trying to calm me down.. is it okay if I asked what electives you took for your first semester??? I didn't take chem, bio or physics in my senior years.... :( which I regret.

Thank you Lee-Roy :D

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I did PHYS1121 and MATH1081.

I didn't particularly like PHYS, though it probably does help to have done it if you ever want to teach the mechanics section of 4U Maths. (I should add that it is quite possible that by the time you graduate they will have dropped mechanics from the 4U syllabus, if we still have a 4U course after the national curriculum goes through.)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
(I should add that it is quite possible that by the time you graduate they will have dropped mechanics from the 4U syllabus, if we still have a 4U course after the national curriculum goes through.)
I don't think they are going to drop Mechanics.

Rather IIRC, it was something about taking circular motion out and putting in other stuff like electric circuits...

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Until national curriculum is decided it is all up in the air.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Yeah... to be honest though, I don't think they should change the course. I think it's nice the way that it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)