• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematic = 100 If i do ext 2 ? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
If you do 4unit:

Mathematics Advanced 2unit can never and will never count. Even if it is a higher mark. If you do 4unit, then you have 4 units of maths in total: 2 from 4unit and 2 from 3unit.

If you do 3unit:

Mathematics Advanced 2unit counts for 2 units and Mathematics Extension 1 counts for an another one unit.
Thanks for your response.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
independantz said:
Nope, If you choose extension 2 and sit for the hsc exam, they disregard your 2 unit mark. Extension 1 and extension 2 each count for 2 units.
Thanks for your response

beentherdunthat

HSC
^ WRONG
I only done 10 units
Ext1 maths, ext2maths, chem, bio and English advanced.
Ext1=1 unit
ext2=1unit

and i done 2unit the yr b4, which didn't count in my uai.

Slidey said:
That doesn't mean you get a HSC mark for 2unit; it means you get a preliminary mark for 2unit.
Um no.
I got a hsc 2unit mark. And it was on my hsc paper.
I used to go malek fahd too.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
^ WRONG
I only done 10 units
Ext1 maths, ext2maths, chem, bio and English advanced.
Ext1=1 unit
ext2=1unit

and i done 2unit the yr b4, which didn't count in my uai.

Um no.
We were talking about the situations that excepted the acceleration. I also accelerate myself in Mathematics and Extension 1, which means I will get my 2 Unit result. However, as they said, my 2 Unit result will not count towards my UAI as I will do 4 Unit Maths.

Are you saying that maths will count as 2 units with Extension 1 & 2 counting one unit each? Or are you saying that you only did total 2 units of Maths Exentension 1 & 2 since you already finished 2 units of maths?

beentherdunthat

HSC
lyounamu said:
We were talking about the situations that excepted the acceleration. I also accelerate myself in Mathematics and Extension 1, which means I will get my 2 Unit result. However, as they said, my 2 Unit result will not count towards my UAI as I will do 4 Unit Maths.

Are you saying that maths will count as 2 units with Extension 1 & 2 counting one unit each? Or are you saying that you only did total 2 units of Maths Exentension 1 & 2 since you already finished 2 units of maths?
yeah 2unit doesn't count
but if u do 2unit, all extensions are then 1unit each.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Um no.
If you did the 2 unit HSC exam paper, then yes, you would have received a HSC mark for 2 unit maths. If you then went on to do extension 2 maths, for the purposes of the UAI, that 2 unit mark would no longer be considered in the calculation of the UAI. If you only did preliminary 2 unit maths without doing HSC maths because you went on and completed extension 2, then I suspect you would not receive a HSC mark for 2 unit maths, and only receive results for extension 1 and extension 2 maths.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
yeah 2unit doesn't count
but if u do 2unit, all extensions are then 1unit each.
No, they most certainly are not.

Regardless of when, how or where you did 2unit mathematics, if you pick up 4unit mathematics at any time, 4unit counts for 2 units and 3unit counts for 2 units, whilst 2unit Advanced maths now counts for ZERO units.

Check your HSC script and it will show 4unit maths as being out of 100 and likewise for 3unit maths. However, those who only do 3unit, not 4unit, will find their 3unit mark is only out of 50 - according to the general marking scheme for one unit courses.

On a related note, it's possible for a two unit course to only count one unit towards your UAI. This is only possible when you have an odd number of units and a one unit course counts as part of your 10 units for UAI calculation.

Last edited:

qmaz

HSC
lets say that i did the first hsc 2u task and got 95+, what if i drop 4unit just before or after the trial? will i have to sit the hsc/trial for 2unit without actually sitting the course?

thanks

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Mathematic = 100 If i do ext 2 ?

If you've done the 4unit course, you'd essentially have to had finished the 2unit course too, so yes you should be sitting the 2u exam.

P

pLuvia

qmaz said:
lets say that i did the first hsc 2u task and got 95+, what if i drop 4unit just before or after the trial? will i have to sit the hsc/trial for 2unit without actually sitting the course?

thanks
Most schools make you do the first few exams of the 2u level so that you can keep up if you drop 4u. That being said, if you have dropped from the 4u level, you are essentially picking back up 2u, they may just estimate the your marks for any topic tests or tests in general that you have missed, so if you haven't missed out on doing the 2u trial the school will probably make you do it

conics2008

HSC
you dont get a 2unit mark if your doing 4unit.. board of studies assumes that 4unit students will achieve a band 6 if they sit for the 2unit exam... thats why 4unit students dont do it.. its not fair for other students.

hlawless

HSC
Slidey said:
Everybody who does Ext1 or 2 maths must do 2unit in year 11.
that's not true at all! Im currently doing extension 1 and 2 and i didnt do 2 unit in year 11. i just go to the 2 unit classes so i know the content but dont do the exams... its kind of intense!:read:

SUBJECTS:
mathematics extension 1
mathematics extension 2
english advanced
physics
visual arts
modern history

ashraf91

HSC
dont dey do a switch ov courses in yr 11 u do prelim 2unit and hsc 2unit, den in yr 12 u do prelim 3unit and hsc 3unit plus 4unit if ur elegiable??, cause dats how we do it at our shithole

auxx

HSC
Ali92l said:
Ahh yeah got it; basicalli my school has a system whereby if u want to do ext 2 you have to proove your worthiness by doing 2U first in year 11

I was just confused with weather both marks get counted or not; i pretty much get it now,

thanku for everyones help
Yes, the schools system is weird. We should have started ext.1 in the beginning of yr 11 since we finished the course in yr 10. Its ok however.

jamesboyd9

HSC
Oh god, so much confusion.

You have to know the 2 unit course to do ext1 and2.
So if you do ext2:
  • You have to either have completed the 2 unit course previously, or be learning it at the same time.
  • Your ext1 and ext2 courses count for 2 units each, and you 2 unit maths is not counted. It is assumed you know the stuff, but you are not expected to attend classes or do the tests.
  • They take your (otherwise 1 unit) ext1 mark, out of 50, and double it. Same with ext2.
  • If you have previously completed the 2 unit course, your marks are pretty much disregarded once you finish the ext2 course
I probably just made it worse, oh well.

auxx

HSC
jamesboyd9 said:
Oh god, so much confusion.

You have to know the 2 unit course to do ext1 and2.
So if you do ext2:
  • You have to either have completed the 2 unit course previously, or be learning it at the same time.
  • Your ext1 and ext2 courses count for 2 units each, and you 2 unit maths is not counted. It is assumed you know the stuff, but you are not expected to attend classes or do the tests.
  • They take your (otherwise 1 unit) ext1 mark, out of 50, and double it. Same with ext2.
  • If you have previously completed the 2 unit course, your marks are pretty much disregarded once you finish the ext2 course
I probably just made it worse, oh well.
You actually made it more clearer.
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)