Mathematics Extension 2 EXPERIENCE! (1 Viewer)

rainbowstar

HSC
Hey BOSers,
I am currently in Year 11 and absolutely love maths, hence why I am doing Mathematics Extension One. It has been one of my best subjects since Year 7.
I am wondering whether I should pick Mathematics Extension 2 next year. It seems quite challenging and fun.
So, I would love some opinions on current MX2 students and their experiences and opinions about the subject. Is it very time-consuming? If so, how do you manage it? How do you balance your other subjects? And, any recommendations on how you would study for it?
Please let me know of any difficulties faced in the subject. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks

Last edited:

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, just do it... Especially if you want to do science/engineering at uni.
Plus also the scaling of it is pretty good as well.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I did 12 units and handled it fine. (Got 90+ for Adv Eng, 3U, 4U, Business and Economics along with a mid-ish band 5 in Physics).

In fact, I didn't spend a whole load of time on MX2 (probs just did slightly more than the bare minimum at best - got exactly 90 or E4 for it) cause I poured heaps of effort into my social sciences (Business Studies and Economics).

I think many people fall into the trap of putting too much time into MX2 and ignoring their other subjects. In the end, it's only going to hurt the balance of time spent on your subjects if you make it hurt the balance.

Overall, it's probably time-consuming relative to many subjects.

For MX2, it was mainly textbook and past paper questions for me.

braintic

HSC
N/A
(probs just did slightly more than the bare minimum at best - got exactly 90 or E4 for it) cause I poured heaps of effort into my social sciences (Business Studies and Economics).
And that 90 in Ext 2 is the equivalent of an ATAR of 99.50 (in terms of the contribution to the aggregate scaled mark).

So just more than minimal effort in Ext 2 results in a huge boost to your ATAR.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
And that 90 in Ext 2 is the equivalent of an ATAR of 99.50 (in terms of the contribution to the aggregate scaled mark).

So just more than minimal effort in Ext 2 results in a huge boost to your ATAR.
but do still try

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Hey BOSers,
I am currently in Year 11 and absolutely love maths, hence why I am doing Mathematics Extension One. It has been one of my best subjects since Year 7.
I am wondering whether I should pick Mathematics Extension 2 next year. It seems quite challenging and fun. However, I do not want to comprise my other subjects just to excel in MX2. All of my other subjects are quite intensive as well: Chemistry, Biology and English Advanced and need to be given time.

So, I would love some opinions on current MX2 students and their experiences and opinions about the subject. Is it very time-consuming? If so, how do you manage it? How do you balance your other subjects? And, any recommendations on how you would study for it?
Please let me know of any difficulties faced in the subject. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks
Do it man, I regret not doing it. I've always really liked maths, but even now I'm dedicating too much time to MX1 with only average results :( But yes do it, and time management is must with MX2. Calculate how much time you'll need to spend etc. And try to get ahead and up to date as much as possible with all your other subjects to be able to dedicate some more time to MX2. Best of luck! You can always drop it halfway throughout the year if it's too much. :) :)

photastic

HSC
It doesn't hurt to try. It is a different universe of mathematics, and highly interesting (Square root negative numbers!!!). It is not for everyone and definitely requires more time and effort than other subjects to succeed (lol couldn't handle vectors for complex). If you love maths then why not try. It benefits you whether you drop and continue because you'll realise how easy 3u and 2u (except for the silly mistakes topic) is in comparison to ext 2.

rainbowstar

HSC
Thanks guys, I am thinking of doing it now. Although i am still going to wait and see how i go with MX1 this year.

rainbowstar

HSC
Do it man, I regret not doing it. I've always really liked maths, but even now I'm dedicating too much time to MX1 with only average results :( But yes do it, and time management is must with MX2. Calculate how much time you'll need to spend etc. And try to get ahead and up to date as much as possible with all your other subjects to be able to dedicate some more time to MX2. Best of luck! You can always drop it halfway throughout the year if it's too much. :) :)
Hey enigma,
Sad you didn't do MX2 but thanks for your advice. :)
Knowing that i have the option of dropping it is somewhat comforting.

Ikki

HSC
Here's the ultimate rundown:
- Mathematics Extension 2 will take up alot of time and can be challenging at times
- If you are good at and like maths the challenge will most definitely pay off. (Epic scaling)

Balance comes down to the individual, how much time they need to set aside. If you're doing MX2 then maths is basically your life and it is healthy for it to occupy around 40% of your time but not more than 60% where your other subs suffer.

I'm doing MX2, ADV INGLES, PHYS, CHEM. It works so harmoniously its not even funny. Just make sure you're on top of your subs and get ahead as much as you can in year 11. If you can stay a module ahead for sciences you'll be legend. The maths try and finish the courses ASAP and understand it all. Then just spam past papers (pretty much right now in yr 12, for u in a yrs time).

Very important note: FIX YOUR ENGLISH. (Yr 11 is best time then continue perfecting throughout yr 12)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Hey enigma,
Sad you didn't do MX2 but thanks for your advice. :)
Knowing that i have the option of dropping it is somewhat comforting.
Heyy, no worries :) Yeah of course, it's a good way to see it. Hope you have lots of fun with it!! ;D

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
- Mathematics Extension 2 will take up alot of time and can be challenging at times
- If you are good at and like maths the challenge will most definitely pay off. (Epic scaling)

Balance comes down to the individual, how much time they need to set aside. If you're doing MX2 then maths is basically your life and it is healthy for it to occupy around 40% of your time but not more than 60% where your other subs suffer.

I'm doing MX2, ADV INGLES, PHYS, CHEM. It works so harmoniously its not even funny. Just make sure you're on top of your subs and get ahead as much as you can in year 11. If you can stay a module ahead for sciences you'll be legend. The maths try and finish the courses ASAP and understand it all. Then just spam past papers (pretty much right now in yr 12, for u in a yrs time).

Very important note: FIX YOUR ENGLISH. (Yr 11 is best time then continue perfecting throughout yr 12)
Can I just ask why/how it works harmoniously? :)

rainbowstar

HSC

Thanks Ikki,
I totally agree with you!! And i am trying to improve my english now as well.
How are you going with year 12? I mean you are already half way through, and it must be hectic right now.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
In my cohort, some students have lost their top ranks in their others subjects as a result of MX2.

IMO, I love it so much, enjoy studying it and would prefer to do 4U of maths than 3U maths and another subject.

Somebody in my class does adv eng, 4U, bio and chem, and they seem to handle the workload pretty well. As long as you study efficiently, you should be able to handle the workload.

rainbowstar

HSC
In my cohort, some students have lost their top ranks in their others subjects as a result of MX2.

IMO, I love it so much, enjoy studying it and would prefer to do 4U of maths than 3U maths and another subject.

Somebody in my class does adv eng, 4U, bio and chem, and they seem to handle the workload pretty well. As long as you study efficiently, you should be able to handle the workload.
Thanks. Well it seems we share the same interest for maths. :)

rainbowstar

HSC
Wait, wait OP why do you only have Chem, Bio, Adv Eng, 2U maths and MX1? Aren't you mean to have 12 units?
Yes i do, but they are just some of my subjects that i personally think are quite intensive.

theprofitable95

HSC
N/A
Yes, if Maths is one of your best subjects then you should do X2. Extension 1 pretty much becomes the '2 Unit' in Year 12. By that I mean its the exam where everyone in the grade gets 100%. And X2 has much more interesting questions (in the hsc).

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, if Maths is one of your best subjects then you should do X2. Extension 1 pretty much becomes the '2 Unit' in Year 12. By that I mean its the exam where everyone in the grade gets 100%. And X2 has much more interesting questions (in the hsc).
MX1 part not true. Rainbow Dont get into the habit of considering MX1 as easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)