Mathematics - General thoughts on the exam (1 Viewer)

AMorris

HSC
iamben is definitely wrong. The answer is definitely just the straight integral and in this question, I'm pretty sure that the answer is -0.044 to 3 d.p.

Overall the exam was harder than I expected it would be - some of the questions required some heavy thought especially 8 (b) (ii) and 10 (b). But so far I've found no mistakes so hopefully that bodes well for me.

Good luck to everyone doing 3U.

Amy Dora

HSC
but you can't have a negative area right?

You're getting my hopes up

miyoko

HSC
dagwoman said:
What the hell are you talking about? You're an arrogant year 11 student- you have plenty of time to use proper grammar and spelling. "Ur mathematical section of ur brain"? Are you SURE you're accelerated?
You said it Dagwoman!, I seriously question the credibility of any accelerated english that year 11 'student' claims to have, learn to spell, actually a manner or two won't hurt. Get rid of that attitude, it doesn't help at all, 'huny'.

HSC
wm_abusef said:
OMG.

Man, that TEST WAS INSANE!

I was cruising up till about Question 7.... uh oh... shit, little problems... ok ok, it'll be alright... got over it, Question 8 was a bit better.... then QUESTION 9 AND 10??!! WHOA :eek:

Yeh, even being an Ext1 Student, doesn't make much of a difference really... lol.. oh well, hopefulley it all gets moderated and scaled in our favour :p
Wow that pretty much sums it up for me!

Hmm...yes maths ext on wednesday, crammage tomorrow, not going to be fun, no not at all..

HSC
Amy Dora said:
but you can't have a negative area right?

You're getting my hopes up
Are you talking about that simpsons rule question in question 10? Well I got that slightly negative number. My reasoning was that they didn't ask for an area as such, they asked for an integral...yes an integral is an area, but it just so happens that most of that "area" was under the curve, so thats why it turned out to be negative overall...well at least that's what I'm hoping for....

jared_88

HSC
It has to be -0.044 since they asked to find an approximation for the integral NOT the area

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
kido_1 said:
The exam was pretty cool, except some silly and lame mistakes. Let's challenge anyone to post solutions on from 1-10, so we can all know wat we got b4 we get shocked with our marks(i don;t know if this is a good or bad thing).
I might, if I can get the paper.

Last edited:

karumi

HSC
Well it wasn't too bad but I've never been good at maths. Adding totals I probably got a raw of 82/120 which totally dashes my hope of getting a 80ish HSC mark for maths ... >_<

It's already the best math paper I ever did compared to trials and assessments cause I was able to attempt (note "attempt") all questions so I never handed in a blank booklet. But as for Q10 cone question thingy. Didn't even look at it! XD

Glad it's over but just what am I doing here when I should cram for ext1???!! o_O

myeewyee

HSC
jared_88 said:
It has to be -0.044 since they asked to find an approximation for the integral NOT the area
Yep. If you graph the function roughly you'll see that in that domain it looks like it has a larger negative area than positive anyway, so evaluating the integral would give a negative.

d.karunairatnam

HSC
pmag said:
The only question i am confident i will get is 1(a

Evaluate
e

but seriously it was ok
it was easier than i thought it would be
i really thoguht it wasn';t that bad, even question 10, more time consuming than hard...but i made really stupid errors, so yeah...the easy marks are gone

duz

HSC
i actually thought this exam was easier than many of the past papers that i've done (around 11 HSC papers)

like Q10 was mostly proving and they actually give you what you are supposed to prove so that you can proceed to the next question which was pretty helpful...

really, with a bit more studying, everyone has the potential to do well.

but you know, i had 40 min left and i was calculating what d worse case scenario would be and i calculated it to be around 25 marks off....then i went into panick coz i was like, "CRAP!! 100-25=75!!!! (with a calculator)... How am i still gonna get UAI above 96!!" but den i realised it was out of 120 so phew...yeh...

so anyway... good luch with your other exams ppl!

ScottyGEE

HSC
|-|4h4, 3x(3||3n7 3n6|15h 5k1||5 ;)
Hehe, aslong as you didn't write like that in English, I'm sure you'll be fine with your UAI ;)

Anyway, I found the test easy and difficult at times...To me it really wasn't that great a test. I found the previous tests much easier. For me, I'll pass, might not in terms of RAW, but definatly in terms of scaling.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
saouma said:
you know why you couldnt do question one!! cuase your a f**king JEW!! My parents are from Nazi backround, doesnt mean i have to display my nazi origins you fooL! you're australian take that jew star off and put the Australian flag
The last thing we need in the world are more bigots. You should be ashamed of yourself. Your ignorance in comparing a religion and race to a murderous political party is shocking. How horrible.

rinaw

HSC
iamben said:
yes but whats the difference between a definate integral and the area under a curve? nothing, they are the same thing - the same rules apply if its simpsons rule or whether you use integration. I'm pretty sure anyway, if anyone KNOWS i am happy to be corrected
it says evaluate and all my life ive been taught that evaluate means that ouy can get a negative integral

ringout13

HSC
N/A
Shutup You Geeks, It Was The Hardest Exam Ever In The History Of The Hsc! Shutup Because It Was Hard Not Easy, No1 Will Be Able To Get Over Band 4, I Cant Believe The Bos Would Put Ext 1 Maths In The Paper! What A Joke! I Attempted At Least The First 5 Questions. The Rest Was Bludy Ext Maths! I Am Aiming For 20%, Realistically What Mark Do You Think You Will All Get. Shutup Bout Band 5, You Will Be Lucky To Get Band 3!

saouma

HSC
dagwoman said:
The last thing we need in the world are more bigots. You should be ashamed of yourself. Your ignorance in comparing a religion and race to a murderous political party is shocking. How horrible.
MAte mate.. first of all who are you to condem the 'nazi' phase as a murderous political party! mate mate you yourself are shocking! You obviously don't know anything about war nor do you respect the greatness of Hittler and his intellegence! why you may ask that I'm refering you as shocking and an indecent pig! well purely and simply because you are an oblivious creature that walks/plays in its own crap. Let me expland! You are critical of the nazi movement of an attempted genocide, and i stress the word attempted, yet you are reluctant to refer Americans, Australians or the biggest racist of all 'Isrealises' as terrorist and murderous patryies. Why? They have commit equal if not more terrorist like behaviour! America cowardly overtaking Iraq and Afganistan for no social or morally correct reason! Australia joining the war efforts in Iraq and Afganistan soley to strengthen ties with the US while neglecting the rights of the people of Iraq and Afganistan!! What about the Isrealises! Lebanon fires a katousha missle (able to kill/injure 5 people) Isreal launches a missle able to kill 100's of people. I leave you with the question, terrorist or not terrorist? You may say that there excuse is because lebanon attacked them by kidnapping 2 soldiers! Haha that is what you call hypocrisy! Isreal has kidnapped over 1300 lebanese civilians/soldiers which are currently in their torturing-prisons. Yet when lebanon kidnaps 2 of their soldiers they set to distroy a whole country while sacrifising innocent civilians! statistics show that 99 militia members were killed while 320 innocent women, 430 innocent children and 238 men! and thats not terrorist. I rest my case. So my learned friend *sarcastic tone* next time you want to butt in.. know what you're talking about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)