• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematics --> General ?? (1 Viewer)

grundo

HSC
Okay so I am wondering whether I should move from Advanced to General Maths. This is only because I don't feel like I can realistically get very good marks in the subject, when compared to General. At the moment, I am coming 1st or 2nd in every subject except Maths, where I am coming roughly around the middle of the course of 54. I hate that because I'm a perfectionist and it's really annoying me. In the end, I think that if I move to General, I will be able to get into the top 10 fairly easily.
So really, what will be better in the long term for my UAI?
Also, is it too late to change courses now? Should I just wait til Yr 12?

As you can see, I am confused!! Any thoughts on what I should do...?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Firstly, general maths is a pathetic subject, so if you can't cope with/don't want to cope with 2 unit, why not just drop maths altogether and do something else?

Secondly, the perfectionism thing is going to die at uni anyway (because if you go to one that is even half way decent you are going to be sitting in lecture theatres full of people who were also the top of their school in most subjects), so you may as well get over it now.

selablad

HSC
What are your actual marks in maths? If they're alright, then I would say stick to normal maths, because moving to an easier subject to get easy rankings is kind of cheating yourself unless you're doing it because you genuinely can't pass maths well (based on your other marks, you seem like a very smart person, and you did say you're a perfectionist, so maybe you are just exaggerating your bad marks in your mind?)

But definitely stick to it for now, I think, until the end of year 11 - the whole not-counting thing means it doesn't really matter... And if by the end of this year you definitely think it's not going to work, then by all means go to general... Good luck whatever you do :D

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
grundo said:
Okay so I am wondering whether I should move from Advanced to General Maths. This is only because I don't feel like I can realistically get very good marks in the subject, when compared to General. At the moment, I am coming 1st or 2nd in every subject except Maths, where I am coming roughly around the middle of the course of 54. I hate that because I'm a perfectionist and it's really annoying me. In the end, I think that if I move to General, I will be able to get into the top 10 fairly easily.

Personally, I think you should keep 2U (Advanced) Mathematics until the end of your prelims, then if you get a dcent mark 80-100, then keep advanced maths, otherwise drop it.

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
grundo said:

Ok, I was doimg 3 unit Math in year 11, and absolutely hated it and failed dismally in every exam, so I decided to drop down to 2 unit math. While I was in 2 unit maths, I thought to myself, 'hey! Wouldn't General Maths be heaps easy?', but I decided to persevere in 2 unit Math. Nowadays, with constant study and hard work, I'm not too bad at Math.

My opinion, stay in 2 unit maths and just put more work into it.

On the other hand, you can drop down but if you do, I recommend you pick up Ext 2 English in order to compensate for the decrease in scaling that will result from the drop.

Also, General Maths isn't as easy as people make it out to be. It deals with entirely different topics than do 2 unit and 3 unit, but nonetheless, it is pretty easy.

It's up to you. :)

rebecca9

HSC
forget UAI. everyone is always really concerned about what they get, but do you really want to have the extra stress in a class that you dont like or you make yourself disappointed. i dropped extension english (which at one point in was coming 1st in) then i dropped advanced english because i HATE shakespear and now im steadily in 3rd place in my year in standard. i take general maths now and i suck at it, but if you think that you will rank well then i say take it.

as long as you can fulfil your required knowledge for your course at uni (assuming thats where your heading) and they will accept general maths students then take general.

trust me im soon to do hsc, and you dont need the extra stress if you can avoid it.

remember dont stress too much about the uai. do your best, and if its not good enough, you can always take another path and change into the course you want later :)

hope that helps

rebecca9

HSC
oh, and if your going to change, i would do it soon. you dont want to miss out on too much of the work, cuz its pretty hard to catch up

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
rebecca9 said:
forget UAI. everyone is always really concerned about what they get, but do you really want to have the extra stress in a class that you dont like or you make yourself disappointed. i dropped extension english (which at one point in was coming 1st in) then i dropped advanced english because i HATE shakespear and now im steadily in 3rd place in my year in standard. i take general maths now and i suck at it, but if you think that you will rank well then i say take it.

as long as you can fulfil your required knowledge for your course at uni (assuming thats where your heading) and they will accept general maths students then take general.

trust me im soon to do hsc, and you dont need the extra stress if you can avoid it.

remember dont stress too much about the uai. do your best, and if its not good enough, you can always take another path and change into the course you want later :)

hope that helps
WOW! 3 unit english ---> Advanced English ---> Standard English?

grundo

HSC
selablad said:
What are your actual marks in maths?

Well I have only had two exams - the first I got 75%, the second I haven't got back yet... but I think I only barely passed... :(

grundo

HSC
Actually, I think the problem may be with my studying. I hate studying for Maths! And when I do study alot, I seem to get questions that are so different to what I am used to when it comes to the exam. Do you reckon a tutor would help me with this?

rebecca9

HSC
i went into every maths exam so confident. i came out with like nothing above 45%... you think your marks are bad. haha.

rebecca9

HSC
maybe you should ask your teacher or different teachers for a variety of study techniques. even if you only rarely study, maybe your using a wrong technique for you

rebecca9

HSC
and in response to getting a tutor, id say no. wait until year 12 if you really think you havent improved then get one. but not for prelim, cuz as mentioned before, it doesnt count. those marks just go into the round filing cabinet, if you get wat i mean

Cerry

HSC
75% isn't a bad mark for mathematics. Apparently, the state average is only about 50%. That being said, if it's stressing you out, and you hate it, then there's no reason to keep going.
I was doing mathetmatics til just after half yearlies last year, when I decided I was sick of failing (and also feeling guilty that my parents were paying like, $70 a week for a tutor who was making no difference to my marks) and constantly feeling stupid in the classes, and dropped to general. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I only dislike maths, instead of actually hating it now, and I think the worst mark I've gotten in an assessment for general was 70something. But you need to make up your mind soon, because you'll have to learn all the prelim material, since they can test you on it in the HSC, and you're better off learning it with the rest of the class than having to catch up on your own time.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Personally, I think you should keep 2U (Advanced) Mathematics until the end of your prelims, then if you get a dcent mark 80-100, then keep advanced maths, otherwise drop it.
I agree with what the-derivative said.

rambam92

HSC
Basically 75 is actually quite a good mark people at my school are getting like 50% and thats considered an average mark. So i reckon u should stay with Advance maths - because ur marks arent that bad, it gets scaled way better than general and if u just put a bit more effort in youll do well

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Don't worry. In one Mathematics exam last year, I remember getting like 70%.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jellybelly59 said:
LOL damn lyounamu was that ur lowest mark? :p
I didn't read the OP, I just read the post above mine so I assumed that the OP got something like 70. So I said that getting 70 is great. In Mathematics, I think 70 was probably my lowest. My lowest for MX1 was 30-40%. I am so grateful that I am not repeating that dreadful pattern.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
I didn't read the OP, I just read the post above mine so I assumed that the OP got something like 70. So I said that getting 70 is great. In Mathematics, I think 70 was probably my lowest. My lowest for MX1 was 30-40%. I am so grateful that I am not repeating that dreadful pattern.
I was somewhat in a similar state. My lowest mark in previous years was 70%, but this year in the first MX1 exam I received a mark around 30-40% :( . However, in the recent exam (not long ago), I managed mid-high 90's. However, my concern is that, I have never in my life, gotten a mark as pathetic as 30-40%. Seriously, from K to Year 10, I have never received such pathetic marks, but somehow in Year 11, when it's starting to count and be important, suddenly I get crap marks out of nowhere :burn:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)