• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

maths content retention..tips/techniques/strategies (1 Viewer)

Riot09

HSC
iv'e read many articles online and scene many documentaries about neuroscience and psychology,particulary on the topic of memory i know all the terms and theory as to how memory works and how to improve it.and it has helped me alot.the only thing i have yet to do is rote or remember some math concepts over a long period of time if i dont revise it.

so my question is:is there anyway around this like a "hack" or strategy or is frequent exposure,experience and regular revision is the only way to remember.

note:mnemonic like sohcahtoa are very helpful.iv memorsied the year 10 consumer arithmetic and quadratic formulas.its just the procedure that i have trouble with-pretty much if i dont revise how to tackle a maths question and the appropriate steps required i would just leave the question out.

so please help if you got the spare time and thank you for reading this.

xxheersaletixx

TERI MAA :)
HSC
Just keep doing questions and questions and questions. The more u are exposed to different questions, the better it is.

good luck

lychnobity

HSC
All that memory stuff you read about?

Chuck it out the window when it comes to maths.

Practice. There's no way around it; you have to actually do the maths, not read about it.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
just do heaps of questions. and understand the stuff rather than memorise it. Maths is a doing subject. the more u do, the higher your mark

jet

Banned
HSC
That's all it is. Nothing else. Just grab the school certificate past papers off the Board of Studies website and do them. The multiple choice answers are up there as well. That's the only way to study for maths.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Understand the formula. There should be no need for you to make an extra effort in memorising them.
In chemistry, for example, you may put up the periodic table on the wall to aid you in learning the element names, but in maths, employing the formulae will be the most effective way of remembering them.

Cloesd

HSC
iv'e read many articles online and scene many documentaries about neuroscience and psychology,particulary on the topic of memory i know all the terms and theory as to how memory works and how to improve it.and it has helped me alot.the only thing i have yet to do is rote or remember some math concepts over a long period of time if i dont revise it.

so my question is:is there anyway around this like a "hack" or strategy or is frequent exposure,experience and regular revision is the only way to remember.

note:mnemonic like sohcahtoa are very helpful.iv memorsied the year 10 consumer arithmetic and quadratic formulas.its just the procedure that i have trouble with-pretty much if i dont revise how to tackle a maths question and the appropriate steps required i would just leave the question out.

Well being familiar with so much on memory and neuroscience i trust you've heard of spaced repetition?

It works. What you want to do is learn a new concept, formula, rule, application, or what else have you... then repeat it, later that day (once), the next day, three days later, a week later, a few months later. In this exponentially increasing "space" between repetitions.

Works for every subject, and everything youl'l ever need to learn in life. Infact all the things you ALREADY know are based off this, you've repeated it (unknowingly) in this "pattern" and thus its permanent knowledge.

What you do when you randomly revise notes, and spam past papers (although this can be good for testing where you knowledge is broken) is that you co-incidentally meet this pattern (in a very inefficient way).

Official

Bring it on
HSC

Do moar maths questions

Riot09

HSC
thanks guys,epicially closed i actually thought that "spaced repition" was just for vocabulary because i thought it was just another memor strategy but now i see that the theory is universal to all topics and subjects and this is tailored to our the hsc/sc.for years now i dont get why they dont teach "psychology or nueroscience" or just the basics.well we learn a bit about nuerons in a section in science but actual strategies like "spaced repition" and not just mnemonics would be very helpful in our studies in my opinion.

well i gues they wouldnt want us to rote learn it,but i thing my friend said about his memory actually strung out,"he said that he came first in some of the maths test because of his memory",well i dont know if he rote learned it or the actually knew the topic but if he's relying on his memory do to well in his tests then doesn't that champion rote learning in maths anyway?.so therefore the board of studies should encourage rote learning if revising or studying is just another term,for rote.What' youre opinion on this issue/phenonmenon?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks guys,epicially closed i actually thought that "spaced repition" was just for vocabulary because i thought it was just another memor strategy but now i see that the theory is universal to all topics and subjects and this is tailored to our the hsc/sc.for years now i dont get why they dont teach "psychology or nueroscience" or just the basics.well we learn a bit about nuerons in a section in science but actual strategies like "spaced repition" and not just mnemonics would be very helpful in our studies in my opinion.

well i gues they wouldnt want us to rote learn it,but i thing my friend said about his memory actually strung out,"he said that he came first in some of the maths test because of his memory",well i dont know if he rote learned it or the actually knew the topic but if he's relying on his memory do to well in his tests then doesn't that champion rote learning in maths anyway?.so therefore the board of studies should encourage rote learning if revising or studying is just another term,for rote.What' youre opinion on this issue/phenonmenon?
Rote learning is fine till year six because the brain hasn't fully developed. Rote learning is time consuming and the final results are very duminutive compared to critical thinking. Critical thinking teaches you the concepts and methods to approaching a question that is unexpected. Critical thinking is emphasised during high school and prepares you for the big world.

Rote learning definately doesn't work with mathematics with the exemption of memorising fomulas. Repetition seems to be the best solution and the more questions you complete, it will improve your understanding.

Have you thought of attending tuition?

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
You know how the teachers tell you not to do all the questions in an exercise and they choose the required one's for you in the classroom? Do this at school, but when you get home, do every single question in the exercise for each and every exercise in the book, it gives you so much practice the concept drills itself into your head.

In addition, read the theory carefully and keep reading it till you fully understand every single word. If you can't understand, ask for help as soon as possible and don't stop asking till you get your questions answered satisfactorily.

Hope I helped.

Riot09

HSC
thanks guys,these tips have been very helpful for the coming up sc and my pre-lim studies next year.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Rote learning is parallel to lying to yourself.
Convincing yourself you know the concepts just by cramming them in, will in NO WAY benefit you in the long run.
If your truly want to exploit the education system, discern and understand.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Rote learning is parallel to lying to yourself.
Convincing yourself you know the concepts just by cramming them in, will in NO WAY benefit you in the long run.
If your truly want to exploit the education system, discern and understand.

Cloesd

HSC
Alot of people here say that critical thinking is better than knowledge... Maybe.

(Read the book "how to solve it" by Polya.
Its basically a document that goes through the process of problem solving in general.)

I like to use this metaphor when it comes to creative thinking and knowledge.
Applications of creativity and knowledge are like an artwork.

Creativity is the skill of the artist, whereas knowledge is his paints. Being creative with limited colors will simply paint a bland image. Having alot of paint but no artistic skill will result in "modern art".

Riot09

HSC
Alot of people here say that critical thinking is better than knowledge... Maybe.

(Read the book "how to solve it" by Polya.
Its basically a document that goes through the process of problem solving in general.)

I like to use this metaphor when it comes to creative thinking and knowledge.
Applications of creativity and knowledge are like an artwork.

Creativity is the skill of the artist, whereas knowledge is his paints. Being creative with limited colors will simply paint a bland image. Having alot of paint but no artistic skill will result in "modern art".
ill check that book out,itshould be really intresting and i love the metaphor for 2 reasons.

1.its very true,espicially when it come to anyalitical people who cant write or creative people who can't use logic.its very true and happens all the time.which among many reasons iv decided to actually try in maths this year,because although i love drawing and reading-it doesn't really follow through to the hsc-because pretty much math is very important.
2.i assume modern art is not really art,such as compared to the renaissance,ancient greek art and actually painting beautiful paintings.

now thanks to dada its like-modern art is really crap and.dont get me wrong artists such as banksy are really good but "white in canvas" and stuuf like that .wheres the skill in that?.

anyway love the metaphor i will definately write it in my art diary.

and one last thing where did you hear this from? or did you make it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)