Maths derp moments (1 Viewer)

iBibah

HSC
What are some silly and derp mistakes you've made while doing maths? (Exam or study)

The one that haunts me for life is in year 10, apparently 80-6=76.....

fionarykim

HSC
there was once when i was doing trig
and i was looking at a Q a and b
and i couldnt tell the difference between the questions, i was like wtf they are the same
so i ask my teacher... and he looked at me so funnily

because a) was sinx
b) was tanx
that was the diff ==

RayRay

HSC
10min ago i was questioning myself how to do reverse chain rule integration. bahaha

sarahabc123

HSC
N/A
For me, no matter how easy a calculation is, I'll always check it with the calculator. E.g 3x4. I tend to make heaps of silly mistakes. ( I lost 10 marks in my trials becoz of this :$ )

RayRay

HSC
I failed a simple integration question in trials. It was a simple sin substitution question, but me being silly and thinking too far ahead, knew that when subbed into sqrt(1-x^2) would give cos. So i subbed cos in as the initial condition. bam 4 marks gone. ffs.

sarahabc123

HSC
N/A
I failed a simple integration question in trials. It was a simple sin substitution question, but me being silly and thinking too far ahead, knew that when subbed into sqrt(1-x^2) would give cos. So i subbed cos in as the initial condition. bam 4 marks gone. ffs.
I've had many moments like that. Only, This is with general maths o.o but that's usually because I overthink the questions too much.

iBibah

HSC
I've said the circumference of a circle is pi r^2 a couple of times in mechanics

Edit: I meant volumes :/

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Got 2012 MX1 Q1 MC wrong
The question asked to prove, A > B, I proved A > B, and concluded by writing down that A < B, losing the mark
In a 2U exam last year I managed to get one of the very first questions wrong, those ones where they ask you to simplify something really simple
Recently in the 2U marathon I said that ln(x) = -1 had no real nor complex solutions
MULTIPLE times I would try to do a question especially in geometry skimming the information given in the question and only going by the diagram. I find later that I miss crucial information and that my previous 10 minutes or so attempt were futile.
Just browse 3U, 4U, Integration marathons to get some more derp moments

etc etc

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
In my Ext. 1 trial, I wrote that 6-6=1. Definitely not my finest moment.

NeonGreen

HSC
Trying to use cos rule on a sine rule question for like 10 minutes during an exam... I literally sat there thinking "THIS QUESTION IS IMPOSSIBLE" and then walking out and being like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH crap. It was frickin' sine rule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)