Maths Ext 2 Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Siwel

HSC
oh like m and n as two different powers
yeah it generally is like Im,n and then you have to deal with both, not sure if its part of the syllabus but definitely could be a last question induction if they wanted i guess

TheShy

HSC
yeah it generally is like Im,n and then you have to deal with both, not sure if its part of the syllabus but definitely could be a last question induction if they wanted i guess
I've seen a few questions like that before, I reckon it could fit into the syllabus, since its just recursion but with an extra variable

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Recurrence relations with more than one index are generally outside the syllabus. There would have to be a lot of hand-holding if they ever ask that.

notme123

HSC
would cross product potentially be a multi part thing. like they tell us how to use it in the exam. some teachers teach it and i dont know why

Siwel

HSC
Recurrence relations with more than one index are generally outside the syllabus. There would have to be a lot of hand-holding if they ever ask that.
Ive seen it in a new textbook for this syllabus, just apart of "challenging questions"

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Ive seen it in a new textbook for this syllabus, just apart of "challenging questions"
Textbooks are written by private companies whereas the HSC is written by NESA. It is not surprising to have instances where textbooks have material that is outside the syllabus.

If you look at the NESA topic guide for “Calculus” it explicitly says that relations “which involve more than one integer parameter are excluded”.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
would cross product potentially be a multi part thing. like they tell us how to use it in the exam. some teachers teach it and i dont know why
Cross products are not in the syllabus so it’s not worth spending time on that. Technically any modulus result of the cross product can be converted into an equivalent form of the dot product (the vector form not so much as you need to introduce the concept of the normal unit vector). Therefore, any question which could use the magnitude of the cross product will approach it from a dot product perspective, rather than introducing a whole new concept. An example of this is the area of triangle question in Q12b of this year’s Ext1 BoS trial but extended to 3d rather than 2d vectors. This is a cross product formula converted into a dot product problem.

Last edited:

luminol

HSC
Is this textbook by any chance terry lee? Ik for a fact that some of his questions uses out-of-syllabus concepts such as Newton's method, cross product and the capital pi notation.

Siwel

HSC
Is this textbook by any chance terry lee? Ik for a fact that some of his questions uses out-of-syllabus concepts such as Newton's method, cross product and the capital pi notation.
yeah it is terry lee, ive seen the cross product havent noticed capital pi notation

notme123

HSC
i reckon capital pi is assessable

O01x

HSC
Just a general question for mechanics - can they ask a problem which requires applications of Newton's laws?
I've seen a question where the solution used Newton's 2nd law
they defs can

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)