• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths Ext 2 Predictions (12 Viewers)

C2H6O

HSC
Oh shoot… this probably isn’t the right solution anyway.. cause they asked for max area bounded by the curve… not integral area (area under the curve is not negative).. ffs, sorry for the time you wasted reading that

yujin hwang

Banned
HSC
Bruh that's hard
Looks like some optimisation problem, where you get an equation for the area as , where ? is where the function -f(x-t)+f(t) last crosses the x axis, but its quite complicated. I made a model on desmos here, and I think we need the value of t where this point circled View attachment 45248

just touches the x axis, roughly t=3.7
When you try expanding -f(x-t)+f(t) it gets way too complex, maybe i'm missing something or there's a workaround with function transformations?

Does anyone else have any thoughts? I may have overcomplicated this
Bro, why did no one tell me that maths advanced was going to be this hard... I'm seriously reconsidering dropping extension, like my tutor suggests it.

K2Trappy

HSC
Bro, why did no one tell me that maths advanced was going to be this hard... I'm seriously reconsidering dropping extension, like my tutor suggests it.
this obscure ass shi is never coming in any adv paper, id be surprised to see it in a ruse trial adv is not meant to be hard you'll be just fine boss

yujin hwang

Banned
HSC
Bruh that's hard
Looks like some optimisation problem, where you get an equation for the area as , where ? is where the function -f(x-t)+f(t) last crosses the x axis, but its quite complicated. I made a model on desmos here, and I think we need the value of t where this point circled View attachment 45248

just touches the x axis, roughly t=3.7
When you try expanding -f(x-t)+f(t) it gets way too complex, maybe i'm missing something or there's a workaround with function transformations?

Does anyone else have any thoughts? I may have overcomplicated this
Answer is 129/4 btw. I went over with it with my tutor today and my friend somehow got it right on the first go...

nonya2000

Banned
HSC
Lol I never came across any question like this. Your tutor probably scamming you asking out of the scope questions.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
So are you saying students should read university textbooks before they can do an HSC exam? That doesn't seem fair.
well unlike previous syllabus, current syllabus was written when there is internet.

this and many other such books are available as ebook and with kids online 24/7 thesedays it's not like they don't have access to this information, a very different scenario to 50 years ago.

there have been many complaints from teachers about the oosiness of Q8 recently, but in the context of 24/7 online access to information not widely available 50 years ago, these teachers seem to have their head in the sand.

the syllabus says "solve problems involving complex numbers in a variety of forms"

so the Q8 is one such problem.

syllabus does not specify from whence the "variety of forms" comes from, maybe from syllabus documents, textbooks, past papers, but could also include forms from internet sources such as the Lang ebook referenced earlier, and so in this context the Q8 is not beyond the scope of the syllabus

any teacher worth their salt would have covered this material, and if they didn't they and their students would have to question their suitability for teaching

complaining about oosiness from a perspective from 50 years ago isn't going to cut the mustard

anonymous1111

HSC
I saw a trial exam question about i^i and considering different arguments for i to arrive at different answers. this has to do with different branches of the principle argument and how e^x is 2pi*i periodic. is this oos?

C2H6O

HSC
So what's the consensus? Was this test harder than 20&21 but easier than 22&23?
Yeah seems to be the verdict everywhere, which I agree with. Although on the livestream epicmaths thought it was harder than 23 but i feel like thats cause there were a bunch of trolls in the chat he had to babysit

K1uggie

HSC
Yeah seems to be the verdict everywhere, which I agree with. Although on the livestream epicmaths thought it was harder than 23 but i feel like thats cause there were a bunch of trolls in the chat he had to babysit
Hahaha I pray for scaling like 23 had

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
other websites to watch out for for other solutions (and i'll go beyond ext. 2 for this) - but they are not there yet

terry lee: https://advancedmathematics.com.au/resources.htm (ext. 1 and 2)

matrix education: https://www.matrix.edu.au/hsc-solutions/ (std 2, adv, ext1, ext2)

itute: https://www.itute.com/download-free-vce-maths-resources/free-maths-exams/ (all 5 exams)

dymocks tutoring: https://www.dymockstutoring.edu.au/blog/ (std2, adv) (you may have to go to page 19 and above)

apex tutoring https://www.apextutoring.com.au/resources/downloads/ (all 5 papers)
also add https://www.ringomok.com/2024/10/21/my-solutions-to-2024-hsc-mathematics-exams/ who may be one of the first up with the x1 sol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)