Maths in B.Business (1 Viewer)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Solo is simply misguided look at my signature. I have pass average in B Bus at UTS. I will sue you for defamation. If you don't withdraw the statement you have made. You scumbag Solo. You absolute parasite.
Do you have friends?

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have friends?
Yes I do have friends. Julie Owens, the federal Labor MP for Parramatta is a close friend of mine. Clive Palmer (billionaire) is also friend of mine and wanted to meet me in person.

Last edited:

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I do have friends. Julie Owens, the federal Labor MP for Parramatta is a close friend of mine. Clive Palmer (millionaire) is also friend of mine and wanted to meet me in person.
clive palmer is a clown, who doenst know how to run a football club (he killed gold coast united), let alone a country

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Really? That's awesome.

I heard that bridging courses were around $500? o_O Not specifically UTS but just generally
Mised this when I first read the thread, but yep. Unless it's changed since I enrolled, for (future) UTS students the bridging courses are completely subsidised. I think some of the other unis charge a couple of hundred for theirs.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Mised this when I first read the thread, but yep. Unless it's changed since I enrolled, for (future) UTS students the bridging courses are completely subsidised. I think some of the other unis charge a couple of hundred for theirs.
That's great, do you have any idea when they start?

I'm assuming they tell future students when they first get accepted?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
No idea, but I signed up for my bridging course in early January. I'm actually not sure what would happen if you did the bridging course and ended up unenrolling.

xer0

Sydney     ATAR Aim:   85+      Penis Size:  9001
HSC
No idea, but I signed up for my bridging course in early January. I'm actually not sure what would happen if you did the bridging course and ended up unenrolling.
How was the bridging course like? was there a roll call? was it a small classroom or a lecture hall? does the teacher/prof single anyone out by asking the classroom any questions? is there homework/tests?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Was pretty chill, done by tutors in a small classroom. they did have a roll call but in my class (maybe all of them?) it was just a roll passed around and there is nothing wrong with missing some. I had to skip 3 of the 10 days due to an orientation camp. Getting asked questions depends on your tutor, but there will probably be a bunch of mature aged students asking/trying to answer all the questions anyway.

HW depends on if you finish the work in class and only test when I did it was seperate of the bridging course but required for determining if you were allowed direct entry into first year Engineering maths. (you won't have anything like that for business)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I did a 3Unit one and to be honest I found it a bit easy, which is suprising considering I didn't go very well in 2 unit maths. First year maths went well though so no complaints but don't think of it as an alternative to having done 2u - it will just help bring you up to speed. I didn't do the 2u one but know someone who did, she did self study after HSC and said the pace of the 2u bridging course was pretty slow and started from the very basics. (she started skipping them and only attended 3u ones shortly afterwards haha)

We got a 1 or 2 hundred page book which was pretty good though. It seems like they have recently changed the way the bridging courses work and seperated 2u into an algebra + functions (i.e. precalc pretty much) and calculus sections which go for a week each. Also seems like the book costs money now =P

Bit of info here: http://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/science/essential-information/bridging-courses

builder2818

HSC
It's seriously not that hard. I did Maths in Society (I think its the equivalent to General Maths now) back in 1998 for my HSC. I got a high distinction in stats last semester and that's after getting a 10% penalty in the mid semester for not colouring in my student number on the m/c answer sheet. I got 100% in my finance mid semester this semester, so if you apply yourself you will do really well.

Don't listen to people like Sathius, he posts rubbish on here all the time - he even went on to say he was going to spend 10 years finishing his bachelors but I think he pulled out.

But anyway, all these fancy greek alphabet letter and symbols look confusing but they teach you this in class what it all stands for - it really is simply just plugging numbers into the formulas. They also have U-Pass sessions if you require them, which are weekly classes run outside the normal tutes and lectures run by volunteer students who have done really well in the subjects you are doing.

But also, do what I did - youtube or khan academy something you don't know - having an Indian female lecturer last semester in stats made learning difficult to understand with the language barrier but the internet will teach you everything in video if you look for it.

Good luck.

broncos123

HSC
N/A
hey dude,

i didnt do any math in year 11 or 12 and pretty much stopped listening in math class from year 9 onwards because of how bad i am at math. to be honest, the math isnt too bad, but like others said, you need to apply yourself. ive gone through every business core without knowing how to do algebra (lol srs) with reasonable grades relative to my knowledge in math so im sure you'll be fine

tOnnyAyye

HSC
Uni Grad
TBH the core subjects for business requires simple maths. they give you the formula and all you have to do is put in the right numbers. They are not meant to be challenging considering the subjects are typically done in first year. You'll probably use higher maths if you are majoring in eco, finance or both. Other than that, straight-forward maths. :)

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say 2U Maths is definitely helpful to have (for majoring in finance/economics) and general maths is good as a minimum. If you haven't done maths since year 10, then you should probably use one of the free bridging courses :)

Oh and as another poster mentioned, UPASS sessions are really helpful too. I guess it really comes down to your major. Say you were doing management, you probably don't need to know much maths at all, but as a MINIMUM you'll be forced to do the first year maths subjects (like business stats).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)