Matrix,Prior,Alpha Omega,TIPPS,Compass,James Ann,Pre Uni,Talent100,Private,Other (1 Viewer)

ForbiddenND

HSC
How come no one ever posts in the tutoring section?? Anyway maybe we should make a list of what each tutoring place is actually like (including private tutors). Stuff how much it costs, how many people in class, what subjects its good for, methods or teaching i.e. in workbooks and stuff etc... It will help everyone out and maybe you might actually benefit...

Last edited:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
How come no one ever posts in the tutoring section?? Anyway maybe we should make a list of what each tutoring place is actually like (including private tutors). Stuff how much it costs, how many people in class, what subjects its good for, methods or teaching i.e. in workbooks and stuff etc... It will help everyone out and maybe you might actually benefit...

(p.s. dont move this mods or im coming after you)
prepare to be disappointed

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

(p.s. dont move this mods or im coming after you)
The one I like most:

Self study - saves money, travel time, the thought about going anywhere or someone coming over plus if you do it properly its more effective :)

Back on topic: sorry no idea... dont get tutored, hopefully i wont either, i'm trying my best to self study :)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
thats crazy talk. noone can do well without being spoon fed everything instead of thinking about things for themselves

Miss Code

HSC
If someone thinks they can get through the HSC without any extra help they are crazy! I get tutoring for Business Studies by the teacher on our friday off for an hour she gives her time to help us. Such a nice lady :)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
If someone thinks they can get through the HSC without any extra help they are crazy! I get tutoring for Business Studies by the teacher on our friday off for an hour she gives her time to help us. Such a nice lady :)
for free? pretty schweet deal if so

K

khorne

I highly, highly doubt the HSC is designed to require these "resources". Instead, as a result of a bunch of mostly slackers doing poorly in the HSC, such institues arised, funded more over by a will to succeed without needing to put in the effort. I am being very general here, but the HSC, in my opinion, is most likely designed so any self motivated hard working student can do well, regardless of any tutoring. Just think when you get to Uni, there won't be nearly as much help like this.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
a lot of it is placebo as well probably, i.e. 'oh man maths is so easy to understand now that i'm doing the same work i was before at a tutoring place'

Miss Code

HSC
for free? pretty schweet deal if so
Yeah for free, all she wants in return is for us to work our butts off and get good marks in the exams. My SAC teacher gives up his thursday afternoons to let us use school resources to do our PIPs so another extra boost i guess you could say, although atm i dont need to use that because im ahead :D

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Yeah for free, all she wants in return is for us to work our butts off and get good marks in the exams. My SAC teacher gives up his thursday afternoons to let us use school resources to do our PIPs so another extra boost i guess you could say, although atm i dont need to use that because im ahead :D
wow. its sad in a way, that i'm so shocked to hear of teacher's genuinely caring about their student's progress. *sings* public education... just give it a tryy.. its time to give it moreeeee

Miss Code

HSC
wow. its sad in a way, that i'm so shocked to hear of teacher's genuinely caring about their student's progress. *sings* public education... just give it a tryy.. its time to give it moreeeee
Well the SAC teachers our year adviser/ not really anymore he ditched us but still has all the roles. Teachers at this school actually want to help seniors because were costal they see us out of school to so the teacher/student "relationship" is less formal, they actually care about helping us out.

Do u go to a pvt or public school?? Do ur teachers help yous at all outside their classroom?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i go to a public selective, and its amazing the lack of care/effort that some of the teachers display. about 90% would never consider aiding a student in any way unless their pay guidelines directly required them to.

Miss Code

HSC
NOW that is sad to hear!
I dont get how some teachers really dont give a shit about their students, maybe its because ur a Sydney school? I guess location/personalities and tolerance for behaviour comes into factor because here theres like 1500 students, 150 or less are year 12 students, most classes have less then 20 in them so there is more time for one on one communication.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
thats crazy talk. noone can do well without being spoon fed everything instead of thinking about things for themselves
Is that sarcasm?

I dont think so, many people who excel generally self study. It all comes down to the amount of effort you are willing to put in. For example, if you get tutored but dont listen or apply what you have learnt, whats the point of being tutored? On the other hand people can do self study and get top results. It depends on the way you learn really. Everyone is different :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Is that sarcasm?

I dont think so, many people who excel generally self study. It all comes down to the amount of effort you are willing to put in. For example, if you get tutored but dont listen or apply what you have learnt, whats the point of being tutored? On the other hand people can do self study and get top results. It depends on the way you learn really. Everyone is different :)
Not necessarily. Tutoring is quite useful depending on the circumstances. But relying on one is extremely stupid. I got tutoring for maths for like few weeks but quit in Year 10. However, from those tutoring centres, I learnt valuable lessons as to how to study on my own. I never got tutoring since Year 11 really but still did quite well through self-study.

So I reckon tutoring is useful only if you can learn lots of stuff from them so that you can later apply them through your self-study (which I am doing now)..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)