Media Article: School Leaving Age 18 (1 Viewer)

boris

Banned
HSC
Well I don't know if you guys have heard, but we're in dire need for doctors, nurses, allied health staff, dentists and accountants.

Lower the HECS fees for health, make entry more accessible... I mean, I can see why people are disillusioned and don't want to be a nurse. I earn more an hour than a graduate RN and I answer phones.

bassistx

HSC
me121 said:
I know boris said that, but I was reiterating that it was my view as well.
Funny, because you actually added year 13.

me121 said:
Ha.. that's so funny because if they make the leaving age 18, then they will have to invent a year 13 for all the people in year 12 who only turn 18 the next year. Surly they cannot make it 18... because what would happen with all the these kind of students..?
Then you asked a question. Which Katie answered. Then you repeated her answer. How original. Why put into place year 13 and then ask a question when you already have a view?

bassistx

HSC
boris said:
Well I don't know if you guys have heard, but we're in dire need for doctors, nurses, allied health staff, dentists and accountants.

Lower the HECS fees for health, make entry more accessible... I mean, I can see why people are disillusioned and don't want to be a nurse. I earn more an hour than a graduate RN and I answer phones.
I'm not sure about accountants, but for the health sector, certainly.
The problem is that because it is hard to get into medicine etc, a lot of Australian students miss out. And then you have overseas graduates who are not allowed to work in Australia as dentists, etc. If they allowed them, I'm sure we'd have a flood of foreign doctors etc.
But nursing is generally not attractive because of the pay rates etc.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bassistx said:
That's what I meant lol.
The more people who stay, they more people who get an HSC etc might go onto uni and it screws up everybody else because there are too many people with professional qualifications when what we need is SERVICES not lawyers and doctors and accountants.
This is true.

Also, the only jobs I can think of off the top of my head that don't need a piece of paper to get into are entry level retail and prostitution. It doesn't leave much hope for the kids who really have had it with study and want to get right into the workforce. I mean, obviously some jobs would be too complex to do without a bit of solid theoretical spadework behind it, but...needing a diploma to be a cleaner? Are you serious? Ridiculous, anyone who does any kind of housework is probably already overqualified for a job like that (not that I'm trying to put it down or anything, but needing a diploma for it, ffs)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
boris said:
Well I don't know if you guys have heard, but we're in dire need for doctors, nurses, allied health staff, dentists and accountants
Sure

Do u think someone who wants to leave after year 10 (or the day they turn 15, lol) is going to become a doctor, nurse or dentist because the government forced him to stay at school until he was 18?

maybe privatizing health care would solve the problem :burn:

boris

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Sure

Do u think someone who wants to leave after year 10 (or the day they turn 15, lol) is going to become a doctor, nurse or dentist because the government forced him to stay at school until he was 18?

maybe privatizing health care would solve the problem :burn:
It's entirely possible for them to do their certificates in AIN, do their Enrolled Nursing certificate and then enter a 2 year nursing degree by distance, like the one CSU has.

Everybody seems to think doing year 12 is the only way you can get into university and succeed. It's not. If they're sick of school there is no reason why they can't go to TAFE and learn a trade, and if they want they can further their education later as a mature age student.

I just don't believe it's okay for them to leave school because they can't hack it and do nothing.

I don't know if privatising healthcare would solve the problem, you still need people who want to fill the vacancies. If I can get more than a registered nurse an hour, working for NSW Health, why would I bother to do nursing unless I really, really wanted to be one?

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
This is true.

Also, the only jobs I can think of off the top of my head that don't need a piece of paper to get into are entry level retail and prostitution. It doesn't leave much hope for the kids who really have had it with study and want to get right into the workforce. I mean, obviously some jobs would be too complex to do without a bit of solid theoretical spadework behind it, but...needing a diploma to be a cleaner? Are you serious? Ridiculous, anyone who does any kind of housework is probably already overqualified for a job like that (not that I'm trying to put it down or anything, but needing a diploma for it, ffs)
Most these days require you to have previous experience though.
The most stupid ads I've ever seen is for waitressing. You need a certificate in Hospitality and 3 years experience. Excuse me, but how hard is it to ask people want they'd like to eat? For crying out loud!

me121

Premium Member
HSC
bassistx said:
Funny, because you actually added year 13.

Then you asked a question. Which Katie answered. Then you repeated her answer. How original. Why put into place year 13 and then ask a question when you already have a view?
Well, year 13 is not the only other option. The point of the question was to see what other's thought.

bassistx

HSC
me121 said:
Well, year 13 is not the only other option. The point of the question was to see what other's thought.
That's right, of course! How could I miss it? *rolls eyes* You clearly asked because you had no idea and came up with year 13.
You could've said "apprenticeships" in your first post but you didn't. End of story.

I believe year 13 exists in NZ? Different people tell me different things about this. Taboo?

boris

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
So abolish welfare about it
I don't think we should abolish payments to help those who are in traineeships or who are attending TAFE.

I think it needs to be a hell of a lot harder to get welfare if you're just going to leave school and slum it for a while.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bassistx said:
Most these days require you to have previous experience though.
The most stupid ads I've ever seen is for waitressing. You need a certificate in Hospitality and 3 years experience. Excuse me, but how hard is it to ask people want they'd like to eat? For crying out loud!
Yes, I've been to interviews, in little unimportant local cafes, for waitressing jobs and been overlooked because I didn't have a Bachelor of Order Taking with an honours year in Dishwashing. It's ridiculous.

Obviously I'm exaggerating to make a point, but I really believe there are some occupations where on the job training is all you need and anything else is a waste of time and money.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
boris said:

Last I checked the demand for positions in medicine and dentistry was at least 10x as large as the number of places that are available.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
boris said:
I don't think we should abolish payments to help those who are in traineeships or who are attending TAFE.

I think it needs to be a hell of a lot harder to get welfare if you're just going to leave school and slum it for a while.
Definitely.

boris

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
Last I checked the demand for positions in medicine and dentistry was at least 10x as large as the number of places that are available.
Yeah, and where did you hear that? It's a very different story on the inside. I'm not talking about country and regional positions either, because they mostly get filled with Iranian and Iraqi doctors.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
boris said:

Agree :D

withoutaface said:
I blame the corrupt AMA for shortages of doctors

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
boris said:
Yeah, and where did you hear that? It's a very different story on the inside. I'm not talking about country and regional positions either, because they mostly get filled with Iranian and Iraqi doctors.
The fact that the cutoffs get forced up to 99.95 (I'm not joking) because every Asian/Indian wants to be a doctor. If there's an issue it's with the number of places being offered, not with demand.

boris

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
The fact that the cutoffs get forced up to 99.95 (I'm not joking) because every Asian/Indian wants to be a doctor. If there's an issue it's with the number of places being offered, not with demand.
I'm confused about what you're saying.

Are you saying more places need to be made available, or that there are enough places and its popularity has driven the UAI up to a point where it isn't accessible to a wider range of students?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)