Media Article: School Leaving Age 18 (2 Viewers)

bassistx

HSC
Schroedinger said:
This, as with any other political issue is a perfect argument for compulsory military service!
Okay, so kids will stay in school so they won't have to serve in the military. But doesn't that just ruin it for the rest of the kids who genuinely want to learn and do well?
Plus, you'll need more classrooms, more teachers, etc. Logically, if this was put into place (school leaving age 18), you'd be looking at some major funding issues.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
bassistx said:
Poor people are stupid?
Usually. At least in the sense they don't know how to manage their money and their lives. You'll observe in another thread they're also usually fat.

It's also worth re-posting that there is a high correlation between success at school and:
• The child has highly educated parents
• The child’s parents have high SES
• The child’s mother was 30+ at the time of the first child’s birth
But no correlation between success at school and:
• The child’s parents move into a better neighbourhood
• The child’s mother didn’t work between birth and kindergarten
• The child’s parents read to him nearly every day

In other words, when
Poor parents make their kids work hard so they get good grades, go off to uni, and get good jobs.
it doesn't work.

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
If you say so, Gh3y. I don't have any objections.
I just think we shouldn't make assumptions and undermine the students' efforts.

bassistx

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Hate to say it love, but it happens everyday in every classroom all over the world. The ability to break through these assumptions is the decisive factor in how you will treat the student, and thus how the student will be able to learn. If you are teaching based on your assumptions, they will achieve to that level. If you teach to their potential, they will improve and MAY achieve (or do even better) than you expected.

Can't remember the name of the study that proved this. Once I find my Foundations text, I will get the name.
Precisely.... I don't know what you're trying to say lol. Because I agree. A lot of teachers treat kids from specific socio-economic backgrounds differently to everybody else. Instead of making them the odd one out and salting the wound, they should treat them as they treat everybody else and help them settle in.
Lots of kids who are come from "poor" families aren't motivated to study etc because their quality of life is poor. But on the other hand, you have the students who are determined to do something about it (get a job/study hard).

Smithereens

HSC
Have you actually asked these people if they encourage their kids to take drugs?
Yeah I have. They didn't actually reply because most of them were so high.

bassistx

HSC
You can tell the rich kids from the poor kids. Phones, trips overseas, uniforms, brand clothing, etc... You don't need documents for that.

michael1990

HSC
bassistx said:
You can tell the rich kids from the poor kids. Phones, trips overseas, uniforms, brand clothing, etc... You don't need documents for that.
thats wrong.

You can't always tell who are rich and who are poor.

I know someone who is mega rich, like MEGA!

and if you saw him walking down the street, you wouldnt be able to tell he was that rich, same as my family, you wouldnt be able to tell that they had Doctorates well the father you would, but not my mother.

I don't believe your that intellegent.

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
I don't believe your that intellegent.
LOLed at that. :D

Bullshit.

Absolute bullshit.
+1

Bassistx, why the hell would you say that? Most kids have phones these days, uniforms...(no idea why you would use that as an example), and fake brandname clothing can be bought just about anywhere.

michael1990

HSC
Smithereens said:
You forgot the full stop.
lol its a forum, who cares?

they should not raise the school leaving age unless they are willing to fund public schools more. And raise private schools fees.

Skeeta

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
But no correlation between success at school and:
• The child’s parents move into a better neighbourhood
• The child’s parents read to him nearly every day
Actually there is:
1. Children perform better at school when they are in supportive environments, with good academic aid and minimal distractions (ie. other children)
2. Joint story book reading is one of the major resources for children to develop phonemic awareness (what sounds, syllables, words and sentences are), which is a pre-literacy skill that assists students in being able to read, write and spell.

bassistx

HSC
I don't care about fullstops.. Spelling annoys me more.

At my school, we can tell who's loaded and who isn't. I am not basing this on statistics and neither are you. We shouldn't have to.
I think designer glasses is a clear sign.

michael1990

HSC
bassistx said:
I think designer glasses is a clear sign.
so because someone wants good quality glasses they are rich.

you really just proved your own brain power.

HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
How does 1. involve the area in which one lives? Isn't this in reference to their school setting and to a lesser extent, home life, rather than their community?

2. I agree with.
Well that's dependent. I guess you could argue the non-selective school thing, because most of those kids in their school live around the area, and that ties into community.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)