Media Article: School Leaving Age 18 (6 Viewers)

michael1990

HSC
bassistx said:
Versace glasses $3000
Oroton pencil case $500

Poor people stealing: priceless
yeah, people cant save?

just like some peope have different priorities. They made decide to buy Versace glasses worth $ 3000 instead of a car?

Idiot

michael1990

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
If you saved that hard for a pair of glasses, you wouldn't be wearing them at school.
i don't see why not?

you bought them to wear pus ou wouldnt want to show them off.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
This seems quite interesting. Shall read the rest tomorrow when I think I have a free.

People shouldn't be forced to go to school if its not for them.

boris

Banned
HSC
Are we arguing about the difference between rich kids and poor kids?

Alright.
When I went to school (and we'll use the larger HS I went to, 600kids), you know who had a phone before me? And I wasn't poor, I've got a farmer dad and my mum is in a managers position at a hospital, so you know, can eat and stuff. Well, the derro poor abo kids had a phone before me. MORE OFTEN THAN NOT IT WAS BECAUSE THEY STOLE THE PHONES FROM THE KIDS WHO DIDN'T NECESSARILY HAVE HEAPS OF MONEY BUT SAVED UP FOR THEIR NOKIA 3310 WHICH WAS A BIG DEAL IN 2003.

Anyway. So yeah. The only real distinction I could make between the poor kids and the rich kids was this;
The rich kids often turned up for the whole 5 days

boris

Banned
HSC
I remember when um, I can't think, the one with the oval. FUCK, well anyway, they were the sunglasses to have.

Yeah well. They're not anymore.

bassistx

HSC
I'll bothered next time, Chris lol.

Umm... okay...
If the kid saved up their lunch money ($5) for the next 600 days, yes, he could afford it. I don't see why you'd wait 600 days to get glasses - your eyesight will just get worse.
Find me a poor kid who can get expensive stuff without saving up for the 1.64 years (and consequently starving), receiving them as a gift, stealing them, or taking out a loan (which they wouldn't get approved anyway if they can't pay back).
$3000 is over 85 weeks worth of food ($35pw - generally this is what it costs me).
Poor people don't get this stuff just because. It's not like an investment either.

bassistx

HSC
lol So ironic. You're crap at English.
I'll be bothered*
I think ahead of my typing capacity. If that makes any sense whatsoever. You know what I mean.

Okay, so it's possible somehow that they get the glasses. What next? What about their shoes? Their phones? Phones come with bills. Game consoles come with games. Etc etc etc.
The reason why a middle-class family would turn into a lower-class one is because they can't budget and spend all their dough on luxuries. So it is possible to have this stuff, but they won't be able to "upgrade". And that's when you see the difference.
Not to mention holes in uniforms and the same shirt everyday.

bassistx

HSC
And, to say that "the reason" for families going from Mid->Low Class is because "they can't budget and spend all their dough on luxuries", is moronic to say the least. I'm pretty sure that food and paying rent/mortgage repayments come before having the latest gear.
They still can't budget.
One of my friends has practically everything. And they're poor. You can tell they are. She steals. And she struggles to earn a buck here and there. But they don't have a car and they don't own a house and her sister can't get braces because her mother spends all of their money on the latest gadgets - new computer monitor, broadband internet, etc etc etc.

And uniforms aren't necessarily and indication of material wealth. I had several friends who wore the same shirt day in and day out - not because they are poor, but because they were lazy.
Rich parents don't let their kids be lazy, remember? They're not allowed to drop school etcetcetc blahblahblah.

bassistx

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Wow, so your friend has an idiot mother, so all low-income familes are the same.
Dean and Katie say so. They must be right!

1) I didn't say rich parents don't let their kids be lazy. Unless I'm badly mistaken, it was Dean who said that.
2) I didn't say they were rich. You seem to think their is no middle class, and that there is only rich and poor in our society.
I know it wasn't you who said it. I think you missed the point. This argument isn't between you and me only.
I'm talking about lower-class and upper-class. Surely you can tell the difference. The majority of people are in the middle-class so that's why you "don't notice" but the loaded kids definitely stand out with their splurging.

boris

Banned
HSC
I had a hit out on me at the larger high school by some derro girls because they didn't like my shoes or the way I dressed.
Coincidentally, the way I dressed was the school uniform and my shoes were cute little buckle up black school shoes.

So you know. The next logical step was to steal my phone. Which they did. They also stole the French exchange student's phone.

You know why?

Coz they're scum.

boris

Banned
HSC
Well I wasn't going to say it, but yes they were of Aboriginal heritage.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
I meant how some people find it hard to sit still for lessons and things like that.

They might be better off in the workforce doing something practical then sitting in a room learning.

moz324

HSC
they shouldnt raise the age 2 18, coz wot happens when ppl leave yr12 and their not 18. like me. i dont turn 18 till january. and alot of my friends dont turn 18 till nxt year either. the govt. hasnt completely thought thru their plan. lol

bassistx

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
That said, even students who want to learn can have problem sitting still and concentrating on learning in lessons.
This is true.

So what's the verdict then? Keep poor kids in or keep them out?
Private schools are obviously aimed at parents who are pretty wealthy. We need schools for "poor" people where their stuff might not get stolen (because it's all cheap anyway). Then again, it'd be pretty embarrassing to graduate from said school. Nevermind.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
If you "meant" that, then why not say it in the first place? And I'm pretty sure that more kids in Year 7 and 8 find it hard to sit still and concentrate in class than many of the older students, and would be more interested in doing something practical.

That said, even students who want to learn can have problem sitting still and concentrating on learning in lessons.
I understand what you mean now.

And I wasn't totally thinking about what I was writing it as it was just before I went to bed.

bassistx

HSC
Poor kids are meant to be stupid, remember? The poor kids leave school because poor parents don't care as much as rich parents (says D/K).
I did say "nevermind" for a reason lol. I should issue a disclaimer - "ignore this" - before a sentence.

boris

Banned
HSC
bassistx said:
Poor kids are meant to be stupid, remember? The poor kids leave school because poor parents don't care as much as rich parents (says D/K).
I did say "nevermind" for a reason lol. I should issue a disclaimer - "ignore this" - before a sentence.
Fuck you're dumb. You didn't grasp the argument Dean and I were making at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)