• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Media degrees: Mac VS. UNSW (1 Viewer)

emperorofblues

HSC
I'm aware that Communication and Media degrees are better at UTS, but I was wondering which media degrees are better out of Macquarie or UNSW.

At UNSW, it's split into B Journalism & Communication, B Screen and Sound and B Media Production. All three are new degrees this year But im concerned with the amount of practical skills offered, as I'm not after a theory-based degree.

At Macquarie, I'm looking at B Creative Arts (international), B Media, B International Communication, B Arts in Media and Cultural Studies.

I'm pretty much looking for practical skills, plus, flexibility (I'm still not certain on whether to concentrate on Journalism or filmaking) and industry connections.

With less than 26 hours left, any help - any at all would be greatly appreciated.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I did 2 years worth of B Media in Writing at MQ, not sure how much i could help?

Practically, MQ was alright once you headed into the second year. In writing they required you to think like a journalist and talk to strangers and ask the stories for assignments. Like most degrees, the first year was pretty generic and covered a groundwork of the media and culture in Australia.

I also did 2 units in radio production and the facilities there are more than adequate (local radio station operates from there), if you can ever get a computer because they can get pretty crowded. I have noticed that the UAI has steadily dropped from the 87 it was when i started in 04 to low 80's now. Read into that what you will.

Flexibility wise, MQ was pretty strong and i studied sociology and well as personal interests like modern history. There are also heaps of media electives. Quite a few units are offered in the evening if you require that type of flexibility.

Btw, i left after 2 years because I decided my prospects in journalism were limited. It really is one of those its-not-what-you-know-its-who-you-know courses. So i transferred to marketing. I am heading into my final year in that now but i will probably end up finishing my media degree because they are pretty complementary in the end.

So in summary i would say UNSW would be excellent, and its cut-off would suggest that, but MQ is a more than handy alternative. Good luck.

mirann

HSC
I'm probably not much help, but I went to UNSW yesterday and received information concerning the B Media (Communication & Journalism) new course for 2009. It sounded very good from what the lecturer told me, does sound quite theory based, however at the end I believe there is an industry based project which she said they will finalise as the course goes along.
What does make me apprehensive about these new courses is that we have very little information about their respectability in the industry, but I have never heard from anyone whether the old course has been good/bad. Same for me with mac, but at least macquarie has had their courses for a while.
I could say this and then in a few years we hear about how UNSW has the new best B Media degrees! So
Anyway, if I were you I would choose the university you would most like to go to. But from what I've seen I would choose UNSW because the course looks very good, and the lecturer told me they'd be flexible with transfers between the three degrees if the first one you pick is not quite your thing :)

Last edited:
HSC
1)Previous Media course at UNSW was shit (as was the general consensus on bos).

2)New course is new, hence no one can say much about it other than Handbooks and other published materials

3) Don't put Media (Communication & Journalism) as a prefence because that's my course, i don't want people increasing the cut-offs :(

johony

HSC
wait, so for these new courses, they take the top x UAIs (x being the amount of places) and then for next year they get the average UAI in that course and that will be the 2010 cut off?

i don't think i'll get 98.45, so these UNSW courses sound like a decent alternative.

spence

HSC
johony said:
wait, so for these new courses, they take the top x UAIs (x being the amount of places) and then for next year they get the average UAI in that course and that will be the 2010 cut off?

i don't think i'll get 98.45, so these UNSW courses sound like a decent alternative.
No the bottom UAI is the cutoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)