Medical Sci vs Advanced Sci at UNSW (1 Viewer)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi :)
Looking at the units UNSW offers, I think I'd prefer to go there but I don't know which is better - going with medical sci or advanced sci. If I did pick advanced, I would do pretty much all the same units (maybe biochemistry or pathology or something along those lines) as I would in medical sci so should I just go with medical sci or is there some additional benefit with taking advanced sci? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you!!

plasticities

HSC
In terms of majors, there isn't any difference between the degrees as you pointed out. However, advanced science is a lot more flexible, you declare your major after first year, whereas in med science your first two years are already determined for you pretty much and you don't major until third year. Also advanced science has a compulsory honours whereas I'm pretty sure that med science doesn't? If you wanted to go into research, then I would definitely recommend advanced since it's catered more towards that, regardless of major.

On the other hand, if you're really into bio/med science then med science is a good option because they definitely give you more opportunities to study those subjects. For example in med science, in your first year, you do an anatomy class that is only offered to med science students, instead of waiting to do it second year with everyone else. You also get the option to do subjects like genetics in place of evolutionary and functional biology (which is more animal/plant science). Also, with med science you can still do honours and you will still have a SCIF subject in first year, so in that regards there isn't much difference between degrees. It's purely personal preference.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of majors, there isn't any difference between the degrees as you pointed out. However, advanced science is a lot more flexible, you declare your major after first year, whereas in med science your first two years are already determined for you pretty much and you don't major until third year. Also advanced science has a compulsory honours whereas I'm pretty sure that med science doesn't? If you wanted to go into research, then I would definitely recommend advanced since it's catered more towards that, regardless of major.

On the other hand, if you're really into bio/med science then med science is a good option because they definitely give you more opportunities to study those subjects. For example in med science, in your first year, you do an anatomy class that is only offered to med science students, instead of waiting to do it second year with everyone else. You also get the option to do subjects like genetics in place of evolutionary and functional biology (which is more animal/plant science). Also, with med science you can still do honours and you will still have a SCIF subject in first year, so in that regards there isn't much difference between degrees. It's purely personal preference.
I ended up putting advanced as my first preference and medical as my second but thank you so much for your response!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)