Medicine at UNSW and UWS (1 Viewer)

Geniusatwork

HSC
Hey guys I was just wondering, for those people who have got into medicine in either UNSW or UWS, what was your ATAR and UMAT score (not just your percentile)?

It would give at good indication at where one should be aiming at, if they wanted to do medicine.

chocheaven

HSC
UNLESS you're rural...then..for unsw..ATAR: 95.05 nd UMAT: 56 overall score [80th percentile] is fine i guess..buh i'm still trying to figure out how i got in..=S

im happy nonetheless ^^

Jackie.bored

HSC
UNSW Unbonded.

ATAR: 99.90
UMAT: 192 (97th percentile)
Interview: Must've been alright =D I like, really failed on some questions LOL I really thought I screwed it.

Thing is, don't be complacent with the interview with UNSW because it counts for 1/3 and one of my friends didn't get in even though she had 99.90, 98th percentile UMAT.

UWS on the other hand is weighted UMAT + ATAR threshold. So basically, more than 95 ATAR and a decentish UMAT (I just made the cutoff) for non-GWS. It's slightly lower for GWS students.

Geniusatwork

HSC
hey thanks for that site. So UWS essentially uses the weighting system for the umat score. They put emphasis on s1 and 2 more so.

it seems that unsw is way tougher to get into, to have to get 99.9 and 192 for the umat...wow, thats massive

Jackie.bored

HSC
Haha lol. I'm just an outlier so don't you worry about me. =p

Basically, just have a look at this http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local#Interview It should provide you the information of the scores needed. Also, multiply the UMAT score by 3 to see the combined scores (i.e. the ones that we have posted up)

"Applicants need to be aware that because selection is on the basis of a combination of all three criteria (i.e. academic merit, UMAT and interview), they will increase their likelihood of being selected by achieving the highest possible result in each of the three criteria. (This is illustrated by the fact that although the minimum ATAR for eligibility is 95.00, the median ATAR required for entry is always greater than 99.60. Similarly for both UMAT and the interview, the median scores required for entry are close to the top of the respective ranges.)"

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
^Aye, for a fair chance at UNSW medicine you probably want, at a rough approximation, something like ATAR 99.3+, UMAT 62+ and a decent interview.

Geniusatwork

HSC
hold on a second, I just want to clarify with the numbers n all. I thought it was just percentile and a total like 180, etc

what does the number like 62 represent? ...bear with me... i know its a score but how is it linked to the percentile

Last edited:

Jackie.bored

HSC
62 is basically the average across the 3 sections, so overall you might get 186 which will correlate to that overall score. The percentiles change every year so 64 overall was in 2009 97th percentile, but may be 95th depending on the way that ACER scales the UMAT. Percentiles mean how you did in comparison with everyone else who sat the UMAT. UNSW changes the UMAT/ATAR table every year correspondingly.

eyyub

HSC
whats a score of 192 Umat (97%ile) when compared to face2face/medentry?
what sort of scores would put me in that range for s1/44, s2/36, s3/30???

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
it seems that unsw is way tougher to get into, to have to get 99.9 and 192 for the umat...wow, thats massive
But yeah, Jackie is a freak. In all aspects of her schooling life as well. :p

nottellingu

HSC
UNSW Unbonded.

UMAT: 192 (97th percentile)

UWS ....a decentish UMAT (I just made the cutoff) for non-GWS. It's slightly lower for GWS students.
You just made the cut-off?
Last year it was around 183?

GWS students got interviews this year with mid 160's .

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
You just made the cut-off?
Last year it was around 183?

GWS students got interviews this year with mid 160's .
From MSO: As of 2008, UWS did not use raw scores to assess a candidate's eligibility, rather, a weighted system was used instead. This weighted system is believed to be 1:1:0.5 for sections 1, 2 and 3 respectively. The UMAT cutoff to receive an interview in 2008, was estimated to be 138.5 (weighted) for GWS applicants and 151 (weighted) for non GWS applicants.

In 2009, the UMAT cutoff to receive an interview was estimated to be 137.5 (weighted) for GWS applicants and 152 (weighted) for non GWS applicants.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
lol, nobody is gonna be able to tell u exactly since they all signed a non-disclosure agreement.

diametric

HSC
UWS (unbonded):
(and from GWS)

ATAR: 98.05.
UMAT:
Overall: 60
Percentile: 91
Section 1: 63
Section 2: 56
Section 3: 62
Weighted UMAT: 150

I was always in search of info like this when I was a med hopeful, so I hope this helps.

Oh and yes, UWS interview is awesome. Except for the one interviewer who was on the phone when I walked in >.<

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)