Medicine in 2009 (1 Viewer)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
UNSW said:
What UAI and UMAT scores do I need to be offered an interview?

As stated previously, applicants are selected for interview on the basis of their UAI and UMAT results. Listed below are the average results that have been required over the past three years in order to be offered an interview. This information is provided to give an indication of the scores that are likely to be required to be offered an interview.

Examples:
If the sum of the 3 UMAT scores (the actual marks, not the percentile ranks) was 152, the UAI required to obtain an interview was 100.
If the combined UMAT score (as defined above) was 168, the UAI required to obtain an interview was 99.50.
The following Table gives these and other scores:

UMAT UAI
152 100.0
168 99.5
175 99.0
188 98.0
201 97.0
215 96.0
227 95.0
http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local

Just some averages of interview offer requirements.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Well it's more like the MEDIAN is usually 99.50... subtle yet massive difference between average and median. I know several people who have gotten in with as "low" as 90 and I don't think that "average" could have been made up by other people no matter how many people over 99.50 there are.

And as you probably all know, if you only just satisfy the UAI/UMAT requirements you've pretty much got Buckley's unless you
a) Absolutely rip the interview and/or
b) Are eligible for the RSES or EAS/ACCESS/I forget what it's actually called

lala2

Banned
HSC
I know someone who got interview offer to UNSW med (and I think her UAI is around 97) and simply outstanding UMAT score of 239. And unless you're particularly apt at this sort of thing (and no insult intended, but some people, like me, just don't cut this kind of test but I wouldn't consider myself stupid) you'd be best to do VERY WELL in your UAI.

And yes, you can do ANY undergrad course before doing grad med--in fact, they're looking for the variety hence the GAMSAT having a humanities section. Another person I know, she did a bachelor of visual arts majoring in film studies, with honours, and is now in first year grad med at USYD. And you tell me how majoring in making movies is related to medicine in any way at all.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
lala2 said:
And yes, you can do ANY undergrad course before doing grad med--in fact, they're looking for the variety hence the GAMSAT having a humanities section. Another person I know, she did a bachelor of visual arts majoring in film studies, with honours, and is now in first year grad med at USYD. And you tell me how majoring in making movies is related to medicine in any way at all.
Making your own medical drama or doco? :rolleyes: Always wanted an Australian version of ER or House :)

stashed

HSC
bubbly89 said:
actually 95% of people who get into the UNSW course graduate... we heard the stats on Orientation day. They don't like people dropping out, that's why the application process is so intense. Oh and if you start failing assessments there is a person who is in charge of figuring out why this is happening. We are very much looked after by the uni.

I think the figures are pretty similar for most the universities, across Aus.

Oh and I got in with 97, and so far I'm having a blast socially.
yeah im 1st year med UNSW as well.

got UAI below 98, umat was ok but not as good as most peoples and i talked about fake i.d.'s in my interview (whoops). oh and my old maths teacher told me i'd never get into med with only 2U maths.

but i did, so don't worry.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
stashed said:
yeah im 1st year med UNSW as well.

got UAI below 98, umat was ok but not as good as most peoples and i talked about fake i.d.'s in my interview (whoops). oh and my old maths teacher told me i'd never get into med with only 2U maths.

but i did, so don't worry.
congrats, you must of aced the interview!

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
partelephant said:
Well it's more like the MEDIAN is usually 99.50... subtle yet massive difference between average and median. I know several people who have gotten in with as "low" as 90 and I don't think that "average" could have been made up by other people no matter how many people over 99.50 there are.
It's always hard to tell what channels this kind of data comes from, so always take it with a grain of salt, but I do remember hearing in the past that both the median AND the mean fell in the 99+ range ( 99.3 - 99.7 or so, from memory). You can have an average in the 99's with some students getting in with 90-8 UAIs provided that there is a large cluster of students with marks in the (upper) 99's. You meet a lot of people in med who were Dux of their school or who topped the state in one or more subjects and so I wouldn't be surprised if this was roughly the case (i.e. that UNSW typically has a cohort with a large cluster in the upper 99's).

youknowwhat

HSC
N/A
yorkstanham said:
Hey, just wondering who is interested in doing med in 09?
What uni you are most intereted in and if you will be doing any umat prep courses, last but not least what subjects are you doin in yr 12.

I am interested in doing med at UNSW next year and I am doing the medentry prep course.

My subjects are:

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Ext 1, Ext 2 Maths
Adv English

I know there are a lot of questions but im bored and interested to see others' thoughts

thanks
i want to study medicine in unws as well, im planing to sit for the umat test. by the way do u know you have to register before the 3 of june for umat test?.

my current subjects are:

english(standard)
community and family studies
ancient history.
2u math
chemistry
biology

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
MysticalElement said:
hmm yeh i wanna do med science at either usyd or uws

my subs are

biology
stnd eng
gen maths
ipt
agriculture
earth science

would i still be able to get in?
i emailed the unis and they said i'd have to do bridging courses....are they any help?
yeah bridging courses are very helpfull, if you haven't done chemistry for example in year 11 & 12.

Prosper

HSC
Planning on applying for medicine, doing pretty well im ranked 5/99 for maths 2u, 7/86 for 3u maths, 5/30 for business, 21/56 for physics, 80/157 for english (yeah not my best subject but apparently ill easily get a band 5 with that rank *knock wood* and going to put a lot more effort into english now, and i dont know about religion (though we've only done one assessment task).

+ I already got a band 6 in IPT.

Hopefully I'll get a UAI around 96-97 (from numbers I've put into the BoS uai counter) but I really have no idea until we get it haha. I wonder if they will like the hobby I have put on my application form (playing computer games). :)

Anyways hoping I'll get in but if I don't I'll try graduate entry.

EDIT: BTW this is a selective school and I'm not doing any UMAT entry courses as I see them as a money making scheme but will be doing practice tests with the books I have got from the UMAT guys.

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
L337 said:
It's JCU, lawl. :p
Hey now, I did all my schooling in Townsville and did Med at JCU for 1 semester and I....laughed myself stupid at this statement. Couldn't be more accurate.

However the real catch is that you have to be aboriginal/torres straight isle/from a bogan region. JCU looks out for us poor disadvantaged people ;)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
ekoolish said:
yeah bridging courses are very helpfull, if you haven't done chemistry for example in year 11 & 12.
Eh...how do you know? You're in my grade?

Legal Hustle

HSC
reckon i can get into adelaide with 90-93 and alright UMAT? and also how do you get an interview?

mcs-one

Grease Bucket
HSC
what happens if you havent registered or sat the umat, but are still interested in med

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
mcs-one: well JCU or USYD. Others need UMAT which you can only sit in 2009 now.

Legal Hustle: harder but still possible. all count for 1/3 now.

mcs-one

Grease Bucket
HSC
for USYD, would i have todo science degree before medicine?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
mcs-one said:
for USYD, would i have todo science degree before medicine?
yes
its not that bad... its only one extra year of your life and you need about 99.5+ (ball park figure.. i cant remember which med combo is how much)

then after 3 years you can think about going near patients, its quite nice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)