Melbourne Uni Arts (1 Viewer)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Hey guys,

I'm probably going to be putting Melbourne Arts as my first preference this year with the goal of applying for the Juris Doctor (law course) in my final year of Arts. Hopefully I can get the required ENTER to get in :)

Next year I'm planning to go to Canada for a few months under a ski/work program, but the problem is I need to commit myself for a minimum of 4 months, so even if I leave early December, I wouldn't be back in time for Uni to start. My question is, as I don't want to take a full GAP year, what are the opportunities for entering Arts half way through the year?

Also, if it is possible, will it be a diminished undergraduate course, or will I just have to do an 'extra' 6 months or an accelerated course? I'm not too sure how mid-year entry works, I'd really appreciate any help/advice.

Cheers.

oLii

HSC
My advice is to put Melbourne Arts as your first preference, you will most likely get in if your ENTER is above 85. You can either defer for the full year, or do what I did and defer for half a year (not officially, but through only selecting semester 2 units)

If you are away for the beginning of enrollment you can get someone to go in and do it for you, like your Mum or Dad. This is perfectly acceptable and happens all of the time at Uni - I think they use the term 'proxy'.

Your Mum or Dad may be able to choose your units for you, and enroll you only in second semester subjects - this way you will be 'enrolled' at the Uni, but only for the second semester.

Whatever you do don't try and get in mid-year unless it's a last resort, it's a massive hassle. Get your foot in the door as early as possible.

Addition: You can do units during summer to catch up or just add a semester at the end.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Addition: You can do units during summer to catch up or just add a semester at the end.
Was about to ask :p

Wouldn't doing this disrupt my plans to transfer into Law at the end of the year? Also, are the semester 1 units particularly hard, if I did have to do them during summer and will I be put at a disadvantage to other students by missing the Semester 1 units?

I'm also worried at being at a loss socially at Uni if I go to Canada and miss the start of the year - I'm a pretty social person. Do you think that will be the case?

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
Most people find that with hindsight their first year subjects were the easiest (except perhaps for languages). The perceived difficulty comes from having to adjust to not having your hand held and organising your own learning. You will not be disadvantaged by starting a semester later as in second/third year (I presume this hasn't changed under the MM) you will be graded against later year students anyway. Good students are good students, one semester's experience will not count for a great deal.

Now, I know that it is antithetical for many Australian students who feel they must complete a three year degree in three years, but here is my advice. You cannot enter the JD mid-year so somewhere along the line you can either make up a semester of subjects over summer and winter, or you could take 7 semesters to complete your degree. Three subjects a semester is still full-time for centrelink purposes if that is a concern and it will allow you to get much much better grades. If we assume that the JD will continue to have no shortage of people wanting to gain entry, there is no reason to disadvantage yourself for the sake of six months. Uni is a great lifestyle, don't rush through without a good reason.

HSC
Now, I know that it is antithetical for many Australian students who feel they must complete a three year degree in three years, but here is my advice. You cannot enter the JD mid-year so somewhere along the line you can either make up a semester of subjects over summer and winter, or you could take 7 semesters to complete your degree. Three subjects a semester is still full-time for centrelink purposes if that is a concern and it will allow you to get much much better grades. If we assume that the JD will continue to have no shortage of people wanting to gain entry, there is no reason to disadvantage yourself for the sake of six months. Uni is a great lifestyle, don't rush through without a good reason.
I'm doing this. Not for any reason except my combination of majors means that there are too many core units to fit into semester one, and my uni is so shit that they won't offer them in Semester Two (I don't go to Melbourne, BTW). It was really good this semester, especially around exam time.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Working at whistler? going with OWH? I'm not 100% sure but from what I've heard is that the 'commitment' thing is bullshit and heaps of people just go on these programes then go back in feb for Uni, so basically you just lie and say you can commit then you leave in feb to come back to Uni. But It depends on what programe your doing (OWH,etc). Another thing you could consider is not going with any programe and just staying at a hostel or something in whistler and trying to pick up casual work as you ski. I would personally not want to enter a course mid year, it would just be awkward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)