Votes: 177 33.3%
  • speech

Votes: 56 10.5%
  • story

Votes: 298 56.1%

• Total voters

purplecupcake

HSC
hahaha, just as i thought ^^^ most people did the story :) YAY FOR THE CURIOUS TRAVELLER ! ...i have a question though; what did people write about if they chose the speech?... ??

hked

HSC
Like many, i knew what a memoir was, but didnt know the necessary conventions for it. If i made it too personal, would it sound like a diary? or if i didnt make it personal enough, would it make it look like a story?

so in the end, i went with speech. didnt write much 750 words.. but then again..recommended length is 700-1000 ... but thats just me comforting myself. e

respect90

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering, will you get penalised for not saying the word journey in your creative? And if so, how badly do you get penalised? Because even though you can tell that my creative is a journey, I never actually directly mentioned that.

Im freaking out =(
And I did memoir.

bok-choy91

HSC
respect90 said:
Hey guys,

Just wondering, will you get penalised for not saying the word journey in your creative? And if so, how badly do you get penalised? Because even though you can tell that my creative is a journey, I never actually directly mentioned that.

Im freaking out =(
And I did memoir.

pretty sure that you won't be penalised.. as long you have a journey in your creative, you should be sweet =]

tse.tse.tse

HSC
it's advised you dont use the word journey in your creative. in creative you are meant to show, not tell. hence by using the word journey, you are telling a journey and not showing one. so you would be penalised for using the word. so you actually are better off!

shakky15

HSC
i really wanted to do the speech coz i knew no-one would have, but my story had no connection with the focus we were meant to take. In fact, none of the options fit so I just did the memoir coz it was the most broad.

mine was like a journal entry (even had a made-up date) but it didnt have 'dear diary'. It was more of a reflection on the past written in the present.. i hope i dont get penalised.

Sangfroid

HSC
Cerry said:
I did a speech. It was pretty crap, but it's done now.
Same here, I hope that my other sections will balance it out. We still have Paper 2 .. :)/:(

Muchi

HSC
Yay for the Memoir! Fitted so perfectly with my prepared response, it ain't funny. Just wrote it out and added "Elsewhere" here and there. So perfect. 11 pages of solid gold that might just help me pass English!

jessticles!

HSC
I did the story.
"Curious Traveller" fitted really well with a story that I had written a few days before, so I tried to recreate it. Unfortunately, I don't think it worked out how I wanted it to.
Oh well

dazza 1

HSC
i did the story, didnt turn out fantastic, but good enough (i hope)

mle123

HSC
What exactly is the correct form and language style for a memoir??

joshdavid

HSC
i did the story....fit in perfectly with the story i had prepared like a month before in class:)

mynameisemma

HSC
I did the speech, because i thought I could adapt one of the ideas I had. I wrote it from the point of view of a girl who'd recently come back from a trip overseas, and had been asked to talk about it, but decided that she wanted to talk instead about her grandmother, who'd taken a similiar trip in the forties. It was about how her grandmother had to overcome obstacles, but ultimately fulfilled her dreams (probably corny, i know!) and the 'perfect circle' was that the girl making the speech was completing her grandmother's journey. Kinda tenuous... but I did it last and i hate writing stories under pressure (and yet I did ext 2... what?)

haha, I got to the end and then realised that the speech was supposed to be for a book, and i'd written it as though she was speaking to an audience. So at the end I wrote something in brackets, like '(taken from the speech given at Amy's return dinner)'. I hope that excuses it!!

Now that I've written this my speech seems even worse. I should have kept it to myself. :( ...haha.

MadamGuilia

HSC
Story worked well with my creative writing idea. Briefly, my "Curious Traveller" journeys into a painting (really his mind) and finds his Utopia. Yes, makes no sense in one sentence :D

MadamGuilia

HSC
purplecupcake said:
hahaha, just as i thought ^^^ most people did the story :) YAY FOR THE CURIOUS TRAVELLER ! ...i have a question though; what did people write about if they chose the speech?... ??
I reckon most people did the story because it seems as though many people simply plan for a story... not so much speeches and memoirs - though it's good for those who could manipulate their ideas well :D

smile=)

HSC
I did a story..
..But that was mostly because I wasn't really sure what a memoir was..
Now that i've seen what a memoir is, i think mine kinda was one.. but hey whatever, its over, so yay =)

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
with a memoir

does it just have to be in 1st person like a reflection

n i added a part at teh start saying this is my story ive put pen to paper to tell you all
and then did
wrote my story (refelction)
concluded

is that right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)