• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Memoirs of a Geisha (1 Viewer)

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
can someone please explain it to me? i read the book, and i thought that the guy who translated and wrote it all must have been arthur golden (the author on the cover). BUT then i re-read the translator's note and it said that the translator's name was jakob someone.. AND THEN i read the acknowledgements at the back and they said the whole story and the characters and everyone were all invented!

so im a bit lost.. anyone who's read it and knows what im talking about or can explain it to me please help!
thanks

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Ah, I love this book!

It's a work of fiction, inlcuding the whole "Translator's note". It was all written by Arthur Golden so that it SEEMED like a real set of memoirs from a real living person.
But it's just a story he put together himself after interviewing lots of real geishas and stuff.

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
ahhhhhhhhhhh
thankyou so much!! i get it now...
you know i was like half-way through the book when i saw the bit about it all being invented and i lost all my motivation to keep on reading. but i did keep reading and it was well worth it..

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Has anyone ever read memoirs of a geisha?? I know most guys thinks its a girls book but I read it and i must say it's one of the best books i've read, firstly i couldn't put it down, and secondly, i keep re-reading it for the past 2 years and it still hasn't lost it's touching and captivating story... plus it really shows the traditional japanese art...which is mad!!
I heard they were going to make a movie based on it? are they?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm a guy, I read it two years ago (year 11) and I say it's not bad. However, it's no great work either. The account is more or less historically accurate but the narrative falls down on itself. There isn't enough strength in the emotions felt, the fateful encounters are too miraculous to be believable and the ending lacks the force, elegance and power one expects from great fiction.

Pretty good for learning abou the Geisha though.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I have read it, some time at the beginning of this year. I thought it was excellent; I just hope that the movie adaptation goes well. At least it will clear up the pronuncuation for all those who still think it's 'gee-sha'.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I read the book a few months ago and I really enjoyed it. I find Asian history really fascinating and I love historical fiction, so it was my kind of book. I would be interested to see the movie, however movies are never as good as the books.

Cicciolina

HSC
I read the book in... like year 8? When it just came out I think. I really liked it - I don't really like Zhang Ziyi as the lead. I think they're looking at getting Maggie Cheung as Mameha, and Lucy Liu as Hatsumoto (sp? I haven't read this book in ages). Though none of them are Japanese.

MoNNiE

HSC
yes i'd agree the book was great!
it's facinating piece of writing i must say!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Thought I would weigh in as another guy who has read this book and really enjoyed it.

C

CaR

So did I...Memoirs of a geisha was a good read..=)

I heard the movie was to be released in 2001 or mid 2003, till there was another delay and its finally announced that it'll be released in mid 2005 @.@

Cicciolina

HSC
Filming for the movie is due to start in September this year. Apparently, Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li have also signed up for it.

HSC
There just seemed to be a huge rave about it so i decided to pop out and buy a copy myself. It's been worth every cent of my $22.95, I don't think you will regret reading it.

BG. - Self titled, its the memoirs of a geisha.

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden. $22.95 RRP Angus & Robertson

HSC
oh! crap hey i just realised that..
hahaha.. ive had my avatar for various forums..

didnt realise that! coolies u have an eye for detail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)