• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Memoirs of a Geisha (1 Viewer)

gem_max

HSC
really? phew i just bought a copy of it second hand and itd better be worth it because most likely itll distract me from my assignments :p

bubble_tea

hehe i love it!
the storyline and the descriptions..

but apparently Arthur Golden was seen to be racist from the japanese government and was sued by the girl who he based the book on..

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
mz_bubbletea said:
hehe i love it!
the storyline and the descriptions..

but apparently Arthur Golden was seen to be racist from the japanese government and was sued by the girl who he based the book on..

Serious? How was he seen as racist? That's quite funny.

Favourite character would have to be Hatsumoto, the mean geisha. Nothing like a woman who spends her early years in opulance only to decend into prostitution.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The movie should be good.

C

CaR

neo_o said:
The movie should be good.
hrmm, here's a list of the cast...pretty disappointed about the fact that the main character sayuri mameha and a few other characters are played by chinese...not that I'm racist or anything...but I think it'd be better if a jap. played the role... ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397535/

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Alot of people were upset about that actually.

gem_max

HSC
mz_bubbletea said:
The agreement was that he wouldnt publish the book until the geisha and several others died in respect that they may all be embarrassed by some of the incidents in the book. She did die, after the others and therefore it isnt possible for her to sue him really. Well at least thats what the long note at the start of my copy says.

I'm flying through this book and fortunately it hasnt gotten in the way of my assignments. Plus I finished all my uni assignments for the whole year today YAY!

Emly

E.T
HSC
i dont knwo if i spelt it right...

but i loved this book so much. it was so sad.
although the ending was a bit predictable...

i cant wait to see the movie.

nwatts

HSC
The book was pretentious and over-written. I'll see the film, if only for Zhang Ziyi.

X

xeuyrawp

Demandred said:
The movie really distorted what the a true giesha suppose to be.
Levels of people in this thread:

1. 'I'd like to see Memoirs of a Geisher.'
2. '*geisha, I'd like to see it too.'
3. I'm a real critic, so I can cut popular books down with lame, big generalisations, because I'm above the masses. I'll use catch-phrases like 'over-written'. (Wtf does that even mean?)
4. I'm even more of a critic, because I can make slightly more specific generalisations about how historical films make too big of concessions and just apply it to X film. Ie, 'The Last Samurai .... ' ' Gladiator ....' 'Troy ....' 'Titanic .... .'

Why is it that people feel they have to point out that film distorts events? It's impossible to make a film that carries true textual/historical meaning from the text/events.

Firstly, how could we ever begin to understand a society which is now 1. all but gone, and 2. totally different to us? We can't, hence the film. It's entertainment, get over it.

nwatts

HSC
You forgot:

5. I'm here to flaunt my own sense of superiority through silly numbered schemes.

Demandred

HSC
Just my opinion and also a bit of a warning for those who haven't seen it, something I am entitled to, you don't have to kill me over it.

Seems you're also a true enemy of Elton :p.

X

xeuyrawp

nwatts said:
You forgot:

5. I'm here to flaunt my own sense of superiority through silly numbered schemes.
lol.. I suppose it's better than pyramid schemes...

Demandred said:
Just my opinion and also a bit of a warning for those who haven't seen it, something I am entitled to, you don't have to kill me over it.

Seems you're also a true enemy of Elton :p
You lost me at Elton.

Demandred

HSC
Your last paragraph reminded me of Geoffory Elton, the defender of objective history :).

X

xeuyrawp

Demandred said:
Your last paragraph reminded me of Geoffory Elton, the defender of objective history :).
Oh... I thought you were associating me with Pink Elton... :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)