memorising speeches? (2 Viewers)

plasticbeach

HSC
is it better to memorise an entire speech or to go up and naturally talk to the class (given that you know your content really well)?

i've got this task coming up and we're not allowed palm cards. i just want to hear your opinions :D

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd suggest memorising a few points and then speaking naturally, expand on each one.

So you are speaking naturally while having a reasonable idea of what you are going to say, and the order you intend to say it in.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I reckon memorise. Because you're not just going to be marked on the content - which you can speak naturally on if you know it well - but also your expression and the way you frame your argument. And that's going to work better for you if you use the lines you spend a fortnight or so preparing.

But obviously work on the manner of the speech, so you're not speaking in some kind of monotone and not engaging with your listeners at all. The best speeches are ones that are really, really well prepared and memorised but delivered so naturally that the audience doesn't realise that every word has been carefully planned out.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Memorise key points, and then elaborate on 'em.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Word for word memorising is usually a bad idea. When most people do this, what they think is engaging when written down, comes across as bland and boring.

I'd suggest:Writing a rough speech
Memorising the key points
Know how they need to be expanded
Practice
Deliver

During your practice stage, you will change things around each time. However, you will find a flow that fits. Then its just a matter of giving it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)