Mentors (1 Viewer)

Shelley99

HSC
I go to a really small school (1 class of 32 per grade) and when we get to year 12 we have an optional mentoring system, where we choose a teacher of our choice (or 2nd preference) and we can meet with them once a week and go over how much study we did and just talk to them about the stress and all that. I know it sounds really weird but our school is really small and close. Many of the students know the teachers from out of school because of church etc. Does anyone else have a system like this at their school???

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
Shelley99 said:
I go to a really small school (1 class of 32 per grade) and when we get to year 12 we have an optional mentoring system, where we choose a teacher of our choice (or 2nd preference) and we can meet with them once a week and go over how much study we did and just talk to them about the stress and all that. I know it sounds really weird but our school is really small and close. Many of the students know the teachers from out of school because of church etc. Does anyone else have a system like this at their school???
not that i know of

somecooldude

HSC
yeah our school has got mentoring. except we've got like over 100 per grade.

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Mentoring at my school too!

My school has offered a mentoring program for year 12's at my school too.
Problem is I think kids are scared to pick a teacherl; like me, I am!
I'm worried that the teacher would think I was dumb or something!
Dunno whether to put my name down for it or not?!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
we have mentoring, i've put my name down. the teacher i nominated directly asked me if i wanted her to be (since she's pretty much been my unofficial mentor since yr 9 anyway) so i guess i didn't have to worry bout being embarassed

s0k0y0e0

HSC
thanks for your reply!

that's really good! I wish it was like that at my school, but my school is only a year 11 and 12 school so we don't really know the teachers as much as at a 7-12 high school?!

I have a couple of teachers that i get on really well with, but I dunno what to say or how to ask?? I'm such a wus!!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
just ask them if they'd be interested in mentoring you, as you've found their teaching really inspiring or you consider them a valuable asset to your learning or something, and you would really appreciate it.

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Thanks heaps!

Thanx heaps, I'm gonna try that tomorrow! :)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
yeah we can choose to have a mentor. i asked my fave teacher, my maths teacher. there was this joke that went on for ages. in year 11 most mornings i would go and pick up my best friend and on the way to school we'd go to maccas and get a frappe from mcCafe, and drink em in roll call, which my maths teacher was also my roll call teacher, and he'd always want one. so we bought him one and asked him to be our mentor n he sed yeah. but im stil not sure exactly what a mentors job is.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
our school has compulsory mentor groups every week. you get to choose your mentor ( 5 preferences), i find the program quite helpful. my mentor is my english teacher, everyone thinks she's a bitch but she's actually really warm and nice! although she's really stern and unreasonable at times.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
the only mentoring things we have does not include teachers...that i know of. it is mentoring to students from students.

such as peer mentoring, that is when students in a higher year group helps younger students to eitehr do math or read. and then there is year 9s mentoring year 7 kids into the school.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
sorry if this sounds dumb
but wtf is a mentor?
i dont know :(

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Shelley99 said:
The top 20 or so students at my school are offered this.

Joe: A mentor is a pedagogical figure. Much like a tutor, but perhaps holding more responsibility, with the relationship between mentor and student also being freer and favouring self-learning.

goan_crazy

HSC
oh ok cool
damn
i dont think my school even offers this :rolleyes:

goan_crazy

HSC
Slide Rule said:
The top 20 or so students at my school are offered this.

Joe: A mentor is a pedagogical figure. Much like a tutor, but perhaps holding more responsibility, with the relationship between mentor and student also being freer and favouring self-learning.
thanks 4 explaining it 2 me slide rule :)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
We have a whole Mentor thing at our school. Its complusory. Its really funny though cause some teachers have like a 1000 ppl who want to be in their mentor and then theres those teachers who no1 wants to be in their mentor.

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
We have a small class as well, and we have that mentor system. However, nothing really happens.. last year I don't think anyone even talked to their mentor so it's not that great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)