HSC
School Rank: ~74

Advanced Maths: 45/78
Advanced English: 42/75
Modern History: 10/35
SDD: 4/13
Biology: 16/35
Extension History: 3/4

I was hoping for at least 85 to get into my course. Not sure if it's possible anymore.

Last edited:

Praestigia

HSC
I don't have an estimate but YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IF YOU BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Currently, 83.70

Last edited:

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
What has brought me down the most - what should I focus on?

FlyingKanga

HSC
English AND maths
Even though the cohort for those 2 subjects is really strong? Our average for maths and english is pretty good and I'm fairly confident in them. Biology is the only one where our average is horrible and has a lot of people who aren't trying.

Sorry if I sound retarded, don't really understand the system yet.

HSC
Even though the cohort for those 2 subjects is really strong? Our average for maths and english is pretty good and I'm fairly confident in them. Biology is the only one where our average is horrible and has a lot of people who aren't trying.

Sorry if I sound retarded, don't really understand the system yet.
How many people get B6 in english and maths from your school's history?
By focusing on both english and maths, you can push yourself into the B6 range for each

danpowell

HSC
83~ What course do you want to do ?? If it is at Macquarie uni please just put it as your first option and you'll get in guaranteed, regardless of your actual atar. The same goes for UWS. They secretly will accept anyone that puts them as their first preference... (My mum works in PACE at MQ uni) If its USYD or UNSW then you may have a little trouble getting into it if your atar is inadequate. However, they do offer bonus points for Adv English and Adv Maths and you'll get 4 bonus points at UNSW as youll get a band 5 in Adv English and maths.

FlyingKanga

HSC
How many people get B6 in english and maths from your school's history?
By focusing on both english and maths, you can push yourself into the B6 range for each
I'm unsure of our history but I know for sure that those are our two strong areas this year. But of course I'll definitely try hard for all of them.

83~ What course do you want to do ?? If it is at Macquarie uni please just put it as your first option and you'll get in guaranteed, regardless of your actual atar. The same goes for UWS. They secretly will accept anyone that puts them as their first preference... (My mum works in PACE at MQ uni) If its USYD or UNSW then you may have a little trouble getting into it if your atar is inadequate. However, they do offer bonus points for Adv English and Adv Maths and you'll get 4 bonus points at UNSW as youll get a band 5 in Adv English and maths.
I wanted to do B Software Engineering preferably at USyd but I think you're right. I'll put the course at Mac Uni as my first preference since it's way more likely.

Flop21

HSC
I'm unsure of our history but I know for sure that those are our two strong areas this year. But of course I'll definitely try hard for all of them.

I wanted to do B Software Engineering preferably at USyd but I think you're right. I'll put the course at Mac Uni as my first preference since it's way more likely.
Why USYD over UNSW?

FlyingKanga

HSC
Why USYD over UNSW?
I honestly have not looked at UNSW at all since I wasn't able to go to their open day but I'm probably going to change my mind considering their engineering courses are more renowned.

Flop21

HSC
I honestly have not looked at UNSW at all since I wasn't able to go to their open day but I'm probably going to change my mind considering their engineering courses are more renowned.
They are the top school for computer science / software engineering. I heard USYD's program sucked compared to UNSW (but I dunno haven't looked at USYD that much).

I didn't get to go to the USYD open day, was is good (in regards to SE)??

And also, why would you put MQ first only because you don't think you'll get into USYD? That's silly (unless you're doing it because those early offer things require you to put it first or whatever). Put your true dream course / uni first. Because what happens when you get an amazing ATAR and you've now told UAC you prefer MQ over USYD?? So just keep in mind the order matters, go from most preferred to least.

Good luck and tbh your ranks look really good to me, just keep studying and I'm sure you'll get a good ATAR.

FlyingKanga

HSC
They are the top school for computer science / software engineering. I heard USYD's program sucked compared to UNSW (but I dunno haven't looked at USYD that much).

I didn't get to go to the USYD open day, was is good (in regards to SE)??

And also, why would you put MQ first only because you don't think you'll get into USYD? That's silly (unless you're doing it because those early offer things require you to put it first or whatever). Put your true dream course / uni first. Because what happens when you get an amazing ATAR and you've now told UAC you prefer MQ over USYD?? So just keep in mind the order matters, go from most preferred to least.

Good luck and tbh your ranks look really good to me, just keep studying and I'm sure you'll get a good ATAR.
I feel like their engineering facilities were lacking but they said they're making major improvements in 2016. I spoke to the current students and they were convincing in regards to the content, difficulty and practicality of the course. It's definitely not second-rate from UNSW. Well I'm always in two minds and right now I'm in the more hopeless mind. Maybe when I get my study schedule back on track I'll regain confidence in getting more than 90 but thanks a lot, your words really helped. :)

Traxoom73

HSC
Uni Grad
You'll definitely be able to achieve 85 based on current results, externals are worth a lot and you've got a month to go, so there's still time to prepare. I should know because I was in your position 1 year ago, having achieved disappointing internal results but blitzing the externals (in my own terms) and ultimately getting into my course which I didn't believe I would be able to get into by the end of Trials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)