Mistakes Book (1 Viewer)

dhwanit2005

HSC
Hi all,

I am thinking about starting a mistakes book to get into a good habit of writing down all my mistakes. However, I have never done this before so any advice would be great.

Thank you

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
That sounds like a good idea. A book of this sort can assist you in determining and remembering several mistakes that you might make across your subjects throughout year 11 and more importantly year 12, especially if you make good use of it when revising and preparing for your assessment tasks and exams. I believe that there are two elements to consider when adding information to this book, being:
  • Organisation
  • Types of mistakes to be included
Organisation:

Given that you included tags for multiple subjects, I assume that your book will extend beyond one subject. Because of this, you may wish to consider allocating a book to each subject, rather than including mistakes made in each subject in one book. The fact that subjects differ in structure and content also means that it is important to organise your mistakes into sections according to the topic (for subjects like maths) and/or syllabus dot point that they fall under (for subjects like Economics).

Additionally, since you will be writing those mistakes in a physical book, I would suggest using different colours to make the explanation of a particular mistake clearer and easier to understand (where applicable). The inclusion of diagrams and worked examples to illustrate mistakes, which is applicable to most of your subjects, is also beneficial and likely to help you gain a better understanding of particular concepts.

Types of mistakes to be included:

It is important to prioritise significant mistakes as opposed to silly mistakes. This is because efficiency is important in the sense that, if you choose to include every single mistake that you might make irrespective of its type/significance, the book(s) can become overloaded, which limits its effectiveness. Generally speaking, silly mistakes do not reflect a lack of understanding of a particular concept and can be more easily avoided with additional focus, whereas significant mistakes can indicate that there are potential areas of improvement to be addressed within specific topics and/or with reference to specific syllabus dot points.

I hope this helps! :D

dhwanit2005

HSC
That sounds like a good idea. A book of this sort can assist you in determining and remembering several mistakes that you might make across your subjects throughout year 11 and more importantly year 12, especially if you make good use of it when revising and preparing for your assessment tasks and exams. I believe that there are two elements to consider when adding information to this book, being:
  • Organisation
  • Types of mistakes to be included
Organisation:

Given that you included tags for multiple subjects, I assume that your book will extend beyond one subject. Because of this, you may wish to consider allocating a book to each subject, rather than including mistakes made in each subject in one book. The fact that subjects differ in structure and content also means that it is important to organise your mistakes into sections according to the topic (for subjects like maths) and/or syllabus dot point that they fall under (for subjects like Economics).

Additionally, since you will be writing those mistakes in a physical book, I would suggest using different colours to make the explanation of a particular mistake clearer and easier to understand (where applicable). The inclusion of diagrams and worked examples to illustrate mistakes, which is applicable to most of your subjects, is also beneficial and likely to help you gain a better understanding of particular concepts.

Types of mistakes to be included:

It is important to prioritise significant mistakes as opposed to silly mistakes. This is because efficiency is important in the sense that, if you choose to include every single mistake that you might make irrespective of its type/significance, the book(s) can become overloaded, which limits its effectiveness. Generally speaking, silly mistakes do not reflect a lack of understanding of a particular concept and can be more easily avoided with additional focus, whereas significant mistakes can indicate that there are potential areas of improvement to be addressed within specific topics and/or with reference to specific syllabus dot points.

I hope this helps! :D
Makes sense thanks a lot!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)