mod chips (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Can GCNs be modded? I want to get some cheap NTSC games.
I didn't understand what you had meant by "GCN" (I had to look it up).

I normally call it a GC, instead of "Gamecube Nintendo" (GCN).

GCN's can be modified, and can play backup (imports) including PAL and NTSC games.
One of the first releases, way back in June (when the GC had been 'cracked') had been: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Not that I would know anything about this sort of thing... ;)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I got Wind Waker LE just before we left, and I'm dying to play it :(

I don't like the idea of pirate Nintendo games, but that's because I've been a fanboy all my life and love the quality of them. I'd like things to at very least remain without deterioration. :)

But not being able to buy NTSC games annoys me to no end.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Got the xbox one done
hehe the modchips are pretti easy to install but if u have a shakey hand dun do it..
umm a 'friend' helped me..
but the going rate is $180-$250 for 1 mod plus 1 HDD
u can look fer ure own technician.. oh and it voids ure warranty

they usualli come with kill switches so u can play ure originals on xbox live

realli handy for importing original games cheaply and early

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
So let me get this straight:

PS2 has a bay for a HDD but you have to get it done independently. The mod chip can enable all DVD regions, NTSC/PAL as well as real/fake games. It has an external kill switch so the machine appears legit when on a network.

XCrate has a really small HDD which I'll be wanting to replace. I can get it modded for all DVD regions as well as faketastic games, and I can install a new OS.

Is all the above correct? How much do you think it would all cost? (please answer the two independently)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Lexicographer,

PS2 has a HDD bay, correct.
It is independent, correct.
The modchip can enable all DVD regions, correct.
Imports, backups, NTSC and PAL games work, correct.

My modchip (DMS3 2.0) does not have any external kill switches, but rather, it has stealth-mode, activated by turning on my PS2 using the eject button (tray eject). This can then be disabled, by doing the same thing (holding the tray eject button for 3 seconds).

I take "XCrate" to mean Xbox?

Xbox has a small HDD, correct (8GB).
You'll be wanting to replace it with 40/60/80/120GB, correct.
The modchip can enable all DVD regions, correct.
Imports, backups, NTSC and PAL games work, correct.
You can install a new OS, correct.

Assuming you do not have a PS2 or Xbox:

PS2 costs $250, but the chip will be equal to the PS2, if not more (including installation). This may be more cheaper if you purchase it overseas (the chip), but I got mine about two-three years ago, and things may have changed (prices decreased, etc). Check websites for individual chip prices, and you'll have to research the going rate for solderers (or free, if you do it yourself) yourself.

Xbox costs $199 if you just want the Xbox, although the Beast Pack ($349 I believe) is a worthwhile purchase. The chip itself costs about $60 (<1.3) to $80 (>1.3 to 1.5 I believe), and, if you can do it yourself, it wont cost anything to chip (of course). But if you can't do it, it will be extra (depending on the person). I'll probably get my Xbox chipper friend to do it, and he'll only charge me for the cost of the chip, no other costs involved. (Yay for me), that is, if I wanted an Xbox chipped, or, most importantly, if I had an Xbox to chip. :p

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Thanks Huy. As of tomorrow (today) I now have all 3G consoles. :D

THIS means I'm only interested in the cost of the chips and installation. I'm adept at PCB handling, and could PROBABLY do it myself if I knew where it goes etc, but I'm probably going to ask you if your friend will do it for me. :)

What kind of HDD for the two consoles should I get, and how much would installation cost?

Huss

HSC
N/A
if your copy of wind waker is original (not pirate) NTSC then u can get freeloader, which allows u to play NTSC on ur PAL gamecube.

it is a really good game and if u still havent played it yet i recomend u to do something about it fast coz ur missing out on a good game

Xcrate :D:D:p

is a roflcopter
HSC
hi im interested in chipping my ps2
anyone got a place for me to visit?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
So let me get this straight:

PS2 has a bay for a HDD but you have to get it done independently. The mod chip can enable all DVD regions, NTSC/PAL as well as real/fake games. It has an external kill switch so the machine appears legit when on a network.

XCrate has a really small HDD which I'll be wanting to replace. I can get it modded for all DVD regions as well as faketastic games, and I can install a new OS.

Is all the above correct? How much do you think it would all cost? (please answer the two independently)
Beast Packs are no longer in supply.. quickly get one.. other wise a classic pack -3 games + 2 controller +console is another option.. fer $309 at EB.. think thats the cheapest

at megamart in auburn i think u can get a refurbished one.. like a factory second which is cheaps..

run the xbox with a disc for 24 hr before voiding ure warranty to make sure ure 'crate' is a good one.. if it burns out get it replaced free... its just a precaution..

get a western digital one fer ure xbox.. cos its the same as the original one..
and xbox mods usualli come with a kill switch..

Huy

HSC
N/A
What kind of HDD for the two consoles should I get, and how much would installation cost?
Installation of the hard disk, or installation of the chip and hard disk?

You can purchase the hard disk on your own (any PC hard disk), and use it in your Xbox. I don't have a HDD in my PS2, so I never really bothered with researching/buying one. But I know for the Xbox you can buy any WD/Seagate HDD and be able to install it, without any real hassles (switching it with the existing 8GB). (This costs nothing).

As far as the installation of the HDD, included with the chip installation, the prices will vary, so you'll have to ask when you decide to chip and (optionally) allow someone to install it, if they have a supply of HDDs on hand.

I would recommend that you buy a minimum of 60 to 80GB, if not the 120GB (the price difference is neglible, in my opinion). You can never have enough space,
Originally posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
at megamart in auburn i think u can get a refurbished one.. like a factory second which is cheaps..
Yes, I have heard about this too. I believe it was $179 for a refurbished Xbox. I know somebody (not personally) who bought 10 (yes, 10) Xboxes from Auburn Megamart.

It's not that much cheaper than $199 for a brand new Xbox from Kmart,

I've never owned a WD HDD, and at the moment, I have 3x120GB Seagate Barracuda V's in my system (PC, not Xbox) and haven't had any hitches yet. I believe they are much quieter than Western Digital HDDs, but ultimately, the decision is yours to make, based on personal choice.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
As far as the installation of the HDD, included with the chip installation, the prices will vary, so you'll have to ask when you decide to chip and (optionally) allow someone to install it, if they have a supply of HDDs on hand.

I would recommend that you buy a minimum of 60 to 80GB, if not the 120GB (the price difference is neglible, in my opinion). You can never have enough space,

Yes, I have heard about this too. I believe it was $179 for a refurbished Xbox. I know somebody (not personally) who bought 10 (yes, 10) Xboxes from Auburn Megamart.

It's not that much cheaper than $199 for a brand new Xbox from Kmart,

I've never owned a WD HDD, and at the moment, I have 3x120GB Seagate Barracuda V's in my system (PC, not Xbox) and haven't had any hitches yet. I believe they are much quieter than Western Digital HDDs, but ultimately, the decision is yours to make, based on personal choice.
yer tru that on the refurbished ones
the guy who did my xbox install HDD free if the chip was done at the same time and charged $40ish dollars fer installation of both.
i got 80 GB to 'backup' my games
but 120GB is apparently the most worthwhile.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok today we got our PS2 here in Manila, all chipped and ready. They didn't understand know whether it has a kill switch or not, but they did say it's got all the features I mentioned above. Maybe you should come over Huy and help me figure out how to work it.
Originally posted by Huss
if your copy of wind waker is original (not pirate) NTSC then u can get freeloader, which allows u to play NTSC on ur PAL gamecube.
I've got an original WindWaker LE (PAL) but not NTSC. Does the NTSC version come with an extra disc or something that switches the cube over? If so I can easily get it here (Philippines = NTSC). I agree, it's one of my favourite games for cube. The other being Metroid thus far. ;)
Beast Packs are no longer in supply...

get a western digital one fer ure xbox.. cos its the same as the original one..
and xbox mods usualli come with a kill switch..
Ok I got the beast/monster/whatever pack it was for Christmas last year. I was kind of disgusted that Microsoft didn't even bother changing the package for this year's Christmas flashsale...

I have a 40G Western Digital HDD floating around unused at home, I was thinking of sticking that in the PS2 since it's way too small for a PC these days. Do you think I'd really need more than that at the moment? As for XBox mod chips, are the kill switches externally mounted or what? As I said, I have no idea how to activate the one on my PS2...
Originally posted by Huy
You can purchase the hard disk on your own (any PC hard disk), and use it in your Xbox. I don't have a HDD in my PS2, so I never really bothered with researching/buying one. But I know for the Xbox you can buy any WD/Seagate HDD and be able to install it, without any real hassles (switching it with the existing 8GB). (This costs nothing).

I would recommend that you buy a minimum of 60 to 80GB, if not the 120GB (the price difference is neglible, in my opinion). You can never have enough space
Ok I'm not worried about the PS2 now, since all I need to get done for that is stick in the HDD. Maybe a little worried, because I'll have to open it and take a stab at plugging the drive in... BUT with the box I plan on getting the works done. At the moment it is simply not worth the cash my dear sweet mother paid for it, and that really is the one and only test. Thus I have decided to pour even more money, and time, into developing it. Swapping the drives should be easy provided I can get the right screwdrivers (any help with this?) but installing the chip I think is a bit much for me. Did someone say that XBox chips cost about $250 without labour? If so, would it be wise to try and hunt one down here for much less? I've got about a week left, much less in mall time.
yer tru that on the refurbished ones
the guy who did my xbox install HDD free if the chip was done at the same time and charged $40ish dollars fer installation of both.
i got 80 GB to 'backup' my games
but 120GB is apparently the most worthwhile.
For the PS2 I don't think I'll bother saving many entire games on the drive, simply because they're too cheap to bother (fake that is). With the XBox, however, I have ambitions of running it as a Linux Box, and those ambitions are based on nebulous anecdotes of people like Robbo who won't tell me EXACTLY what a Linux box can and can not do!

Sepaking of can and can not, is it worth getting the network adaptor and/or XBox Live? I know the GCN broadband adaptor is both rare and next to useless (except for Double Dash, Penny Arcade readers) but am I able to hook either machine up to my computer and download games for them (storing to console HDD).

I know I've asked a lot of questions, so just pretend I'm different people contributing to this thread. Thanks everyone. :)

Huss

HSC
N/A
I've got an original WindWaker LE (PAL) but not NTSC. Does the NTSC version come with an extra disc or something that switches the cube over? If so I can easily get it here (Philippines = NTSC). I agree, it's one of my favourite games for cube. The other being Metroid thus far.

No not only the NTSC version, but if u preordered Zelda: wind waker then u would get an extra disc/s with the legend of zelda: ocarina of time and legend of zelda: Master quest--which is the same as Ocarina of time but with more side quests and is more difficult.

well if u have a PAL cube u can use Freeloader, which allows u to play NTSC games. im not sure if it works the other way.

:)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Ok I got the beast/monster/whatever pack it was for Christmas last year. I was kind of disgusted that Microsoft didn't even bother changing the package for this year's Christmas flashsale...

I have a 40G Western Digital HDD floating around unused at home, I was thinking of sticking that in the PS2 since it's way too small for a PC these days. Do you think I'd really need more than that at the moment? As for XBox mod chips, are the kill switches externally mounted or what? As I said, I have no idea how to activate the one on my PS2...Ok I'm not worried about the PS2 now, since all I need to get done for that is stick in the HDD. Maybe a little worried, because I'll have to open it and take a stab at plugging the drive in... BUT with the box I plan on getting the works done. At the moment it is simply not worth the cash my dear sweet mother paid for it, and that really is the one and only test. Thus I have decided to pour even more money, and time, into developing it. Swapping the drives should be easy provided I can get the right screwdrivers (any help with this?) but installing the chip I think is a bit much for me. Did someone say that XBox chips cost about $250 without labour? If so, would it be wise to try and hunt one down here for much less? I've got about a week left, much less in mall time.For the PS2 I don't think I'll bother saving many entire games on the drive, simply because they're too cheap to bother (fake that is). With the XBox, however, I have ambitions of running it as a Linux Box, and those ambitions are based on nebulous anecdotes of people like Robbo who won't tell me EXACTLY what a Linux box can and can not do!

Sepaking of can and can not, is it worth getting the network adaptor and/or XBox Live? I know the GCN broadband adaptor is both rare and next to useless (except for Double Dash, Penny Arcade readers) but am I able to hook either machine up to my computer and download games for them (storing to console HDD).

I know I've asked a lot of questions, so just pretend I'm different people contributing to this thread. Thanks everyone. :)
Xbox chips start from like $40 ! i got a 80GB HDD + a large BIOS chip fer $200.. all with labour included..

kill switches are external.. mines on the front.. its the xecuter chip
and with the LINuxbox it is limited to a workstation.. :|
but its pretti nifty..
Otherwise u let it run as a FTP.. umm with keyboard and mouse u got to mod a controller..

Huy

HSC
N/A
Ok today we got our PS2 here in Manila, all chipped and ready. They didn't understand know whether it has a kill switch or not, but they did say it's got all the features I mentioned above. Maybe you should come over Huy and help me figure out how to work it.
Try turning your PS2 on using the eject (tray) button, holding it for about 3-4 seconds. You would not need to disable the chip for any reason, unless you are connecting to the Central Station (PS2) network, online.

There is no kill switch for the PS2 (external kill switch).
I have a 40G Western Digital HDD floating around unused at home, I was thinking of sticking that in the PS2 since it's way too small for a PC these days. Do you think I'd really need more than that at the moment?
I don't think you can use standard PC HDDs in the PS2 - I don't have a HDD in my PS2, never have, never will.

I don't think it will work that way (simply getting the PC HDD and putting it in a PS2).

You do not need anymore than 40GB, in my opinion.
As for XBox mod chips, are the kill switches externally mounted or what? As I said, I have no idea how to activate the one on my PS2...
Newer/most Xbox chips will have external skill switches.

To enable/disable MY chip, I would perform the tray eject (turning the PS2 on, out of standby mode) using the eject-button, holding it down for a few seconds.
Did someone say that XBox chips cost about $250 without labour? If so, would it be wise to try and hunt one down here for much less?
No, I don't think anyone said it was $250.

It's more like $60-80.

<1.3 $60
>1.3 $80

I think. I don't have an Xbox, and I don't know the prices by heart, but I assume it is about that much, or thereabouts - without labour, just the chip.
Sepaking of can and can not, is it worth getting the network adaptor and/or XBox Live?
Yes.

As I've said, I don't have an Xbox, but I have the PS2 Network Adapter. It's worthwhile, in my opinion.

Aside Lexicographer, your posts are so cluttered to quote/cut-paste.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Huss
No not only the NTSC version, but if u preordered Zelda: wind waker then u would get an extra disc

well if u have a PAL cube u can use Freeloader, which allows u to play NTSC games. im not sure if it works the other way.
Yeah I got LE (Limited Edition) and have the extra disc. I didn't preorder because I only bought my cube a month ago, so it took me about three weeks to find LE on the shelf. It was definitely worth the hunt. What I didn't get was this "Freeloader". Where can I find it, and how does it work?

Huy, thanks. I can't be bothered quotechopping your post. Sorry about forgetting to add that paragraph break in the middle there.

NOW, you say the Network adapter is worth the money. Why? What can I do with it?

Huy

HSC
N/A
NOW, you say the Network adapter is worth the money. Why? What can I do with it?
If you don't plan on playing games online, then you would have no use for it.

I play games online, so it is worth the money, in my opinion. (and I know you're on iPrimus dialup, so I don't think you'll be gaming all that much, not to mention the ethernet requirement, which rules out the dialup).

If you don't play games (online), you don't need it. If you do, and have access to a Broadband connection, then as games are developed (with online gaming capabilities, multiplayer), then you would want to make use of it.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm connecting to iiNet ADSL in about February. I was, however, wondering if the Netwrk Adaptor would allow computer connectivity (for either PS2 or XBox, I know the Cube has it).

Huss

HSC
N/A
What I didn't get was this "Freeloader". Where can I find it, and how does it work?
Gamecube - Freeloader

Product Description:
Play Import Games On You Gamecube!

Dvdcrave.com.au have freeloader in stock

u have a PAL gamecube right, what freeloader does is it alows u to play the games u buy from the phillipines without modifying ur gamecube. thats basically it.

btw sorry for all the confusion :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)