Modern History or Legal Studies (1 Viewer)

Ethaw

HSC
I am changing from biology.
Which do you prefer/which is more enjoyable?
Which is harder?

I know modern scales better but I got the impression it was harder.
Modern is also fairly humanities heavy and I do eng ext 1 so I think i'd be fairly good at it, however, I don't want to be overly swamped by essays. (not that legal isn't humanities heavy either).

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Which do you think you'll do BETTER in? Modern and Legal are both heavy in content, and require a lot of essays both internally and in the external exams. Both require consistency, and upmost effort to maximise the most marks.

For me, I would go modern history due to my unfathomable love for it. I loathed anything law-related. So yeah, you decide which once you'd do better in.

TIP: Have a discussion with your history teachers in year 10, and see if its the subject for you. That'll help you rule out one subject.

I hope that aids you in your decision.

Last edited:

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I did legal studies and I can say it was pretty enjoyable, I had a good teacher which made it that much better. Honestly, just go with the one you feel that you'll enjoy the most. With legal studies I enjoyed it because I was learning things about society around me and I was able to apply a lot of common sense and case studies to help me understand it better.

HSC
Uni Grad
Modern - you learn a lot of 19th-20th century related history, which can be very interesting if you like story telling. Analysis on the other hand isn't so much.
Legal - you learn a lot of stuff that actually affects your society, legislations, stuff related to crime, as well as applying common sense to situations :p

Imo I did both modern history and legal studies - I found modern to be a lot more difficult because you had source analysis (which for my school was marked harshly), as well as having to memorize a crap tonne of facts and figures, and then having to construct an essay out of it. You were pretty much fucked if you studied one thing and then got a different question to what you were studying, simply because the facts and stuff are all very different. That said, modern history was still interesting despite having a crappy teacher.

On the other hand in legal studies - I studied 4 topics, but that pretty much felt like 2 topics. I did Crime - International crime, and then linked it to World Order. Then I did family law and that linked very well to human rights. The crime topic relates well to human rights. I didn't actually end up studying for world order because I used stuff from international crime to answer my essay question. Literally legal studies has very well linked topics. A lot of the legislation/cases can actually be used not only in one, but two or even three topics - probably meaning a lot less to remember :)

Plus legal studies is easy to BS if you tell me. Sure it doesn't scale as well as modern but imo it's a lot less work than required.

Last edited:

Ethaw

HSC
OK thanks everyone. I ended up doing modern and yes it does seem to be a lot of essays and work!
I feel that I'd do better in legal and it'd work with my workload better but at least with modern the work is definitely somewhat interesting. :)

nathan98

HSC
Legal isn't hard if you have the right mind for it. The only thing with legal I find difficult is just the content. Its basically easy but you have to remember heaps. With Modern you basically focus on the 19th and 20th Century e.g Franco- Prussian War. Im a Year 11 Student currently and have chosen both these subjects. So far they are both enjoyable).

clown50nh

HSC
I've heard modern is very interesting- but legal studies is to.

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard modern is very interesting- but legal studies is to.
Both subjects are content heavy and you need to understand its content as well as remember it as well.

If you're considering studying a more interesting subject, I suggest you go with Modern History.

(Yes, bias included hehe ;))

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
For me, I would go modern history due to my unfathomable love for it. I loathed anything law-related. So yeah, you decide which once you'd do better in.

TIP: Have a discussion with your history teachers in year 10, and see if its the subject for you. That'll help you rule out one subject.

I hope that aids you in your decision.
Nawwww,

You like history too? ;)

HSC
Uni Grad
Both subjects do have a lot of content - and can be dry unless if you can find a way to link the topics together, thus reducing the amount of work necessary.

That said, I'd definitely say both subjects are interesting in their own ways - it might just be the assessment tasks that would kill you (i.e. source analysis, essays, memorizing lots of facts, figures, legislation, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)