modern? or senior science? (1 Viewer)

mischaa

HSC
N/A
i dont know wat to do. senior scales really badly i know but modern ... argh i hate it!! i'm doing above ave. in modern atm but i find it really boring ... i think this can be attributed to my teacher but there are no guarantees that i can change my lines around to get a better teacher. i'm more of a science/maths orientated person and senior would probably be better suited to me but the scaling is a real worry. should i drop modern and pick up senior or stick with modern?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You won't do well in a subject you hate, no matter how good the scaling.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
You'll do better getting great marks in a lower scaling subject than you will getting ok marks in a higher scaling subject. If you think you can get past the boredom thing modern is a fantastic subject to do and if you can get excellent marks in it it will boost your marks because it is scaled so well. However it is a very big workload and if you're going to be too bored by it it's not worth it. Senior science may not get great scaling but if you can do really really really well in it you're almost immune to scaling.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I'd stay with Modern. I found that it became a LOT more interesting in Year 12. Except for the Core Unit...that reminds me of Year 7 too much. But yeah. I reckon make yourself like modern...lol :eek:

E

eling

I'd do modern, modern is really interesting but u need to memorise chunks of information whereas senior science is dot points...try the SAM thingi and put a lower mark for modern and a higher mark for senior science and see the difference. However you should also consider which subject takes more time to do well and if you can stand studying hard for it. If you can stand studying for it, there's only 1 year left anyways..if you cant then do senior science

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Hmmm. Im a "Modern History Promoter" but it seems you're more suited to senior science. You seem aware of the scaling issues so perhaps that will make you work hard to do well? Whatever you choose, you have to work really hard at it cos one subject scales shit while the other bores you....

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
it sounds like you should do senior science .... if you have a passion for it and do well the crap scaling wont effect you .. gd luck!!!

astro

HSC
personally i love modern, except for the fact we have a crappy teacher who picks crappy subjects - i suppose i learn to deal with it......but i guess if you're a science/maths sort of person then it's better to take senior science even though it's low scaling, chances are you'll do better in it

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
i would do Senior sciences (cos i no i could get 100) but if ur a maths.Science person it begs the question y u do senior science n not a different science (im pretty sure u can only do anoth 2u of science if u do senior science)

mischaa

HSC
N/A
well i already do other sciences (phys and chem)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
So. Do you want to add to the load of work in science or work harder in modern? What does it mean to do 3 sciences?

Scanorama

HSC
You can't do Senior Science with other science subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Environmental Science) and vice versa. A maximum of 6 units of Science subjects maybe studied.

If you think you can score a good mark in Senior Science, then it is worthwhile to do it. As many people have said, you can't get a good mark if you hate the subject. Even if you are doing a very good scaling subject and you got a shit mark, it will actually scale your mark heaps.

Abtari

HSC
Follow ur instincts

Do only what you like and what you are interested in.

THe scaling down thing should not be a problem if you're doing way above average. So I suggest you drop modern and do senior science.

ALso depends on your career choices.

DO you want to go in the technical line (sciences) or do humanities in uni?? THat can also helo you choose.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
you cant do senior science with other sciences in year 11, but you can in year 12 ( ie just say you do chem and bio in year 11, you can drop chem and transfer to senior science in year 12)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)