Moisturisers! What do you use? Does it work? (1 Viewer)

bex

HSC
AlleyCat said:
i have sensitive skin, and i use cetaphil moisturiser during the day time and jurlique repair serum during the night time.
i think, glitterfairy, that you probably need a plain moisturiser like cetaphil or QV combined with a weekly moisturising masque, like jurlique or clarins.
a lot of people find that weekly masques help their skin, no matter what the problem is. when i used to have problem skin at about 13 my aunt gave me jurlique lavender mud masques, and my skin cleared up without drugs.
also, i keep saying it, but it is true. the more gentle the product the better for you it is in the long run. just because something is expensive, doesnt mean it will solve your skin issues...

i totally agree.. Cetaphil is available from pharmacies and you can buy like a litre in a bottle..VERY cost effective. Its especially formulated for sensitive skin and is fragrance and colour free.. i totally recommend it to anyone as an all over body moisturiser. I rate it above any moirsturiser for the body!

CieL

HSC
i never liked cetaphil

it puts a coat of something over your skin making it feel oddly smooth, but once you wash it off you know that all it's been doing is putting a layer of crap between your skin and the air

.....how about just over your left shoulder throug
HSC
i have quite sensitive skin, in that, it easily dries out and hardly ever get pimples....i use st ives moisterisers>silk range< for my body, specially made moisteriser for my face-from overseas, however my dermatologist reccomended QV cream that was quite good too as opposed to cataphil....

for cleansing n stuff i used to us MD formulations stuff>good but quite drying, then i used clinique>quite good and at the moment i'm using loreal>the best

also one thing u should really be careful of if u have dry to normal sensitive skin is that makeup ie foundation, powders, blush etc can be quite drying so u have to find stuff thats suitabe for normal to dry skin....same goes for other skin types..

Last edited:

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
while in london i got me some of the johnsons holiday skin stuff for normal-darker skin for about 4 pounds. i havent really used it a lot as yet, but as everyones raving about it i thought i might as well give it a shot.
even if it doesnt work, at least it smells good.

dora_18

HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
that happyderm was on the news awhile back, a whole bunch of chicks who used it came out with really severe reactions to it
really? i used it for like 4months and never had any problems...it smells great, it doesnt leave any greasy residue on your skin and it does its job well!!Chanel make a good moisturiser as well..for young skin..comes in a pinkish-white bottle, if you're willing to spend around $100...as well as Elizabeth Ardens green-tea range although ive found that the moisuriser doesnt sink into the skin as well as the others

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
azzie said:
while in london i got me some of the johnsons holiday skin...
even if it doesnt work, at least it smells good.
no! it doesnt!

after about ten minutes it morphs into the most putrid smelling moisturiser in existence.

just thought id let you know...

Kulazzi

HSC
I use Olay total effects atm, and although it makes my skin soft and smooth (I'm a normal/dry skin person) it still feels a bit greasy. I agree with glitterfairy, sometimes when I splash water on my face, I can feel the the cream washing off and then my skin goes dry straight after.

I tried Palmers Cocoa Butter while I was overseas (took it as a travel cream), and although the smell took me by surprise (it just didn't smell beautiful), it was excellent. It absorbed into my skin quickly and just made it smooth

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
iceflower86 said:
Olay (senstative), Garnier Soft (dry/sensative the rose one) or J&J Holiday Skin for Face

how do you find the J&J one? im going to get it, if i can ever find it. I'm just apprehensive about putting ake tan on my face, but i really like the body one.

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
Hiii girlies!
i studied make up artistry, and along with that was skincare!
i love skincare and work on the weekends for a cosmetic agency and different cosmetics houses throughout myer + david jones

skincare is important!
most girls on this site would be under 20 im thinking
at that age you mainly jst need basic hydration. Dont go for moisturisers with too many ingredients, definately not at this stage.
Once you hit after 20's then its good to get eye creams
you can even start using night creams as i do

your skin rejuvenates and rebuilds itself 3 times during the night, and only twice during the day. so its important you go to bed with a clean face, cleanse with a gentle cleanser, you can use a toner, but its really not a neccesity. So opt for a night cream which will be a bit thicker in consistency.

supermarket brands. olay/garnier etc are okay, but if you can afford it try check out a higher quality skincare house.
cheaper brand i recommend is SIMPLE (found in priceline)
their cleanser wipes and eye make up remover is the best

and PLEASE if you wear make up, take it off before you go to bed
even if ive had a huge night i always manage to slug to the bathroom for the regular cleanse routine.. its one of the best things you can do for your skin!

drinking water is excellent!

try to get a day cream with spf in it also

for the body i love palmers cocoa mmm yum!

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
I bought Garnier Ambre Solaire protection milk, spf 30+, perfect for my skin. The doctor told me not to use moisturiser on my face, because I have oily sensitive skin.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
even if you have oily skin you should still use some kind of moisturiser, even if its just a light gel/lotion
i fyou dont use moisturiser your skin can become dehydrated and flaky and still be oily at the same time. it can even become more oily becuase your skin is over compensating. you must use moisturiser because while cleansing youre stripping away your skins natural defence against the world, and if you dont replace it with anything (i.e. moisturiser) that your skin can become dry and overcompensates by producing more oil and you end up with worse skin.

those gals with oily/combination/problem skin i feel your pain. my skin is shocking and i still havent found something that works great. its not roaccutane bad or anything (id never consider it anyway) its jsut yuck. soon im going to try the pill i think, as a last resort as my skin problems are mainly hormonal.

damn hormones!! *shakes fist*

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Sometimes simpler, cheaper skincare products are more effective. My mum has a friend who blew tons of money on expensive anti-ageing cremes and found out that the supermarket $5 product worked the best.

It also depends on your skin type. I use Cetaphil facewash and Nivea face+body moisturiser. It makes my skin super-soft and glowy. When I used to have blemishes I used L'Oreal Pure Zone.

CieL

HSC
Emily. said:
you must use moisturiser because while cleansing youre stripping away your skins natural defence against the world, and if you dont replace it with anything (i.e. moisturiser) that your skin can become dry and overcompensates by producing more oil and you end up with worse skin.
What if you don't use cleanser?

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
Emily. said:
even if you have oily skin you should still use some kind of moisturiser, even if its just a light gel/lotion
i fyou dont use moisturiser your skin can become dehydrated and flaky and still be oily at the same time. it can even become more oily becuase your skin is over compensating. you must use moisturiser because while cleansing youre stripping away your skins natural defence against the world, and if you dont replace it with anything (i.e. moisturiser) that your skin can become dry and overcompensates by producing more oil and you end up with worse skin.

those gals with oily/combination/problem skin i feel your pain. my skin is shocking and i still havent found something that works great. its not roaccutane bad or anything (id never consider it anyway) its jsut yuck. soon im going to try the pill i think, as a last resort as my skin problems are mainly hormonal.

damn hormones!! *shakes fist*
Well, the reason the doc told me not to use moisturiser is because it is too oily for me, and because of the medication she prescribed to me. She prescribed this gel called Isotrex, which contains 0.05% isotretinoin. It helps reduce the amount of sebum which the skin produces, unblocks pores, loosens blackheads and whiteheads so they come out more easily and stops new ones from forming. She told me to use Neutrogena oil control cleanser in the morning and at night, and put on the Isotrex gel at night before I go to sleep (then wash it off in the morning). Because this gel causes some redding and flaking of the skin (normal effects) I have to stay out of the sun and as a result use spf 30+ sunblock special for oily sensitive skin. Ask your doctor about Isotrex. It might work for you.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow.. I have a small collection (of cheap ones) which I use.

Nivea Hand Nourishing Cream, Neutrogena Hand/Nail Moisturising Cream (i think that's the title), Dove Body Moisturiser, various brands of Sorbelene Cream, and some cream which the Doc prescribed me when I had dry skin/rash a while ago.

Ranger Stacie said:
i have quite a collection..
cetaphil
palmers cocoa butter
garnier
and a variety of different body shop body butters, as well a jojoba oil from the body shop as well
and they are all pretty good
I thought Cetaphil was a soap for sensitive skin o_O.. *shrugs* I use it in the shower.

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
I thought Cetaphil was a soap for sensitive skin o_O.. *shrugs* I use it in the shower.
No, they have body lotions too

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
Emily. said:
i fyou dont use moisturiser your skin can become dehydrated and flaky and still be oily at the same time.
yep oily skin is from over sebasus (sp?) glands, which means your skin still needs is hydration, using a moisturiser for oily skin, wont make it more oily, but it will help it a bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)