Mounting Major Work? (1 Viewer)

SleepDeprived

HSC
I am doing photography for my major piece, but I am confused with how to display it?
I am wanting to do fairly large prints and my teacher said something about mounting it on boards or something but I don't understand what he means?(he is a tad confusing at times)
Does anyone know what ways I could mount it? ie. What material, where to get it, how to put it on etc.

HSC
it would be cool to mount it on a wood block painted black. the black background emphasises the colours in colour ones and makes black and white ones look classy. you could get wood block from the woorwork rooms at your school, if your teachers are decent it wouldnt be a problem. failing that, anywhere that sells the stuff. bunnings etc. good ol' black acrylic wall paint (but acid free so it doesnt damage your photos) and acid free photo glue.
sweet.

taptaptap

HSC
my friend got her photos printed and then mounted at cofa.
they were big and looked really good. but cost about $30 each for whatever size they were.

i'm thinking of framing mine. does anyone know where i could get that done (as cheaply as possible)?

williamwfan

HSC
Don't worry too much about the mounting.

Just use an incline cutter to cut a nice frame from some white cardboard, and then stick a piece of foam board behind your photo.

It's really your BOW that matters, so don't stress too much time into the framing.

I did a set of 16 drawings for my 07 Art Express art work and it took me literally half an hour to mount everything.

akrinis

HSC
Hmm.. could you put your print onto a large block of wood, or canvas? I'm worried about cost. I mean, I wouldn't want to think my BOW has to be expensive to get good marks. I asked my Photography teacher if it would help printing the photo onto a canvas, and she said it might appeal more. But I intend to hand in at least 6 peices for my BOW and the cost factor scares me a little.

Last edited:

williamwfan

HSC
Definately don't hand in a block of wood. It's TOO heavy and it'll probably cost you time and money.

If you want advice on how to present your artwork, email me on williamwfan@hotmail.com.

I'm an art tutor and was accepted into the 07 Art Express Exhibition.

I am keen to help my students achieve the same.

stillwaters

HSC
akrinis said:
Hmm.. could you put your print onto a large block of wood, or canvas? I'm worried about cost. I mean, I wouldn't want to think my BOW has to be expensive to get good marks. I asked my Photography teacher if it would help printing the photo onto a canvas, and she said it might appeal more. But I intend to hand in at least 6 peices for my BOW and the cost factor scares me a little.
it depends on the concept of your work- if printing onto canvas adds to the concept then go for it ^^ but im sure you want to show off your photography skills so by mounting it properly, printing it on the best paper possible, getting it done professionally- (COFA at unsw is really good and i think its one of thecheapest around if you want professional printing done) . im kinda freaking out about the cost factor of mine... i thought anything over $10 was scary.... and now :::>>><<<:O i think maybe if you think of it in terms of getting the best marks and recognition for your art work... and its just a one off... you never ever do hsc visual arts ever again.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
stillwaters said:
it depends on the concept of your work- if printing onto canvas adds to the concept then go for it ^^ but im sure you want to show off your photography skills so by mounting it properly, printing it on the best paper possible, getting it done professionally- (COFA at unsw is really good and i think its one of thecheapest around if you want professional printing done) . im kinda freaking out about the cost factor of mine... i thought anything over $10 was scary.... and now :::>>><<<:O i think maybe if you think of it in terms of getting the best marks and recognition for your art work... and its just a one off... you never ever do hsc visual arts ever again.
COFA IS NOT CHEAP, DO NOT PRINT AT COFA

seriously, LOOK AROUND cofa is a rip off. most professional printers also do mounting in a variety of materials to suit what your doing.

HSC.is.ass

HSC
where can i get my photographs printed for cheap? cofa is going to be about $200 for all my photographs :(

insomniac90

7/9/08
HSC
I'm doing photography too. Im going to mount mine on i think 1.5cm foam core. Its a faily large work (3xA1) and we're experimenting on the cheapest way to do it. Apparently Kinko's FedEx prints really well but theyre kinda expensive - if i was to print there it would be about $300.
I just skimmed through the other posts and some said to use wood. Be wawry as to how you adhere it as photo paper can warp when wet. If you choose to mount on wood - or any other surface i suggest that you use a spray adhesive. it limits the chance of your paper warping and ruining your masterpiece.

Good luck with all that. (PM me if youve thought of a good way to do it, - im not that keen on forking out $300 for a work i wont hang in my house... its way too freaky. lol kthnx.)

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
You don't get extra marks for the way you're work is presented I dont think. The markers will look more towards how your photographs work together to created your body of work. In frames is dodgey, because I don't think you can have glass...and most other things are really expensive...

I have photo's in mine and my teacher told me to just hand the photo's in as they are. Literally. straight out of the printer.

Don't stress too much.

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
HSC.is.ass said:
where can i get my photographs printed for cheap? cofa is going to be about $200 for all my photographs :(
Harvey Norman. They're cheap...and excellent quality.

tangotrace

SUPER HERO
HSC
yea... i got my prints done at this little random place in brissy... super good quality. they're on canvas... love the painterly texture it adds :D
i'm mounting them on like... 7mm craft board... it's reasonably light... wont warp and it's a good flat surface for the canvas to stick to with acid free spray adhesive. the edges of the canvases are going to be frayed and teased out then stiffened with craft glue (think that's what ill use) then i'm going to use inks to bring the colours right to the edges. i'm also going to have a couple of studs in behind the boards so that the prints sit out off the wall making them kinda float. I'll paint all the stuff behind the prints black.

THE END :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)