Movies about belonging (1 Viewer)

Thangquangtu

QUANG(*)
HSC
annabackwards said:
Aha, what movie would you be referring to?
Woops, forgot to name the moive I was talknig about lol.

Umm techniques for "Freedom Writers". :eek:

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Fight Club would be soooooo good. BUT so many people do it every year for EVERY AOS. Bloody great movie but.

I really, REALLY hate Peter Skrzynecki. A couple of his poems are alright, but there is a general motif of self-portrayed hardship that gets tiresome. Such a bloody whiner. Annoying as almighty fuck.

Thangquangtu

QUANG(*)
HSC
Tully B. said:
Fight Club would be soooooo good. BUT so many people do it every year for EVERY AOS. Bloody great movie but.

I really, REALLY hate Peter Skrzynecki. A couple of his poems are alright, but there is a general motif of self-portrayed hardship that gets tiresome. Such a bloody whiner. Annoying as almighty fuck.
Lol, I know how you feel. :uhhuh:

We analysed 3-4 Skrzynecki peoms in class.

Same shit all the time lol.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
I was thinking maybe I Am Sam, The Hunchback of Notre Dame (if you can find the 1939 version because I don't think the Disney one would cut it despite how great it is), Little Miss Sunshine, Cry Freedom or Garden State.
The Elephant Man would also be an ideal movie to study too.

Last edited:

tcmonster

HSC
Definitely

The Shawshank Redemption

Soo good,

The prisoner who eventually leaves the prison is associated to the prison so much that when he leaves the prison he commits suicide, there are also other aspects of belonging

Try to look for a book to relate to, it is rated much higher, trust.
:jaw:

simmowrites

HSC
Thangquangtu said:
Woops, forgot to name the moive I was talknig about lol.

Umm techniques for "Freedom Writers". :eek:
Montage is used at the beginning of the film where Eva is recalling her life up until where it is today - growing up, someone getting shot, her father getting taken away. You could relate that beack to belonging and how the latino's dont belong in that society and how they are being alienated by the police taking the father and locking him up.

A CRUCIAL scene is the one where Mrs Gruwell is handing out the prescribed texts and one of the latino boys gets up and although he is not well known in the class, still makes an amazing speech about how he doesnt have a roof over his head yet still feels like he belongs in the class "And when i walked through these gates.... I am home." Kind of like how the minor character of Jacque in as you like it makes the "all the worlds a stage speech." lol, thats my prescribed text. haha

The camera angle goes from showing the close up of the boys face, to a close up of Mrs G and then a wide shot of the class and then to close ups of the different people in the class (a person from each race - latino, asian, etc)
The wide camera angle shows how the class has come together, the different characters have come together and the races are not segregated at the beginning of the scene. Music is also playing, but im not sure what the music is.

Also, the "Line Game" is another crucial scene, showing how the students are from different races yet still have been through the same experiences.

The scene with Anne Franks friend is another good scene.

Also, maybe have a look at the Head Teacher of english and how she is constantly fighting against the class and Mrs Gruwell.

Its been a while since I've seen the film, but its my favourite film ever!

I'm sure theres more scenes and stuff, but like I said, its been a while hahaha.

Hope I've helped and not confused you!

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Dead Poets' Society (much of Robin Williams' serious movies are about belonging - Life According to Garp)
Good Will Hunting
Meet the Robinsons
Edward Scissorhands
Heathers

The list could go forever.

Am I right in thinking that "Belonging" is the new "Journeys" and "Journeys" have taken one? I think that is what an English Teacher friend of mine said.

Thangquangtu

QUANG(*)
HSC
simmowrites said:
Montage is used at the beginning of the film where Eva is recalling her life up until where it is today - growing up, someone getting shot, her father getting taken away. You could relate that beack to belonging and how the latino's dont belong in that society and how they are being alienated by the police taking the father and locking him up.

A CRUCIAL scene is the one where Mrs Gruwell is handing out the prescribed texts and one of the latino boys gets up and although he is not well known in the class, still makes an amazing speech about how he doesnt have a roof over his head yet still feels like he belongs in the class "And when i walked through these gates.... I am home." Kind of like how the minor character of Jacque in as you like it makes the "all the worlds a stage speech." lol, thats my prescribed text. haha

The camera angle goes from showing the close up of the boys face, to a close up of Mrs G and then a wide shot of the class and then to close ups of the different people in the class (a person from each race - latino, asian, etc)
The wide camera angle shows how the class has come together, the different characters have come together and the races are not segregated at the beginning of the scene. Music is also playing, but im not sure what the music is.

Also, the "Line Game" is another crucial scene, showing how the students are from different races yet still have been through the same experiences.

The scene with Anne Franks friend is another good scene.

Also, maybe have a look at the Head Teacher of english and how she is constantly fighting against the class and Mrs Gruwell.

Its been a while since I've seen the film, but its my favourite film ever!

I'm sure theres more scenes and stuff, but like I said, its been a while hahaha.

Hope I've helped and not confused you!
Helped me out heaps. :D

Thanks.

simmowrites

HSC
For something a little bit different, you could try also "August Rush."
Just watched it then. It highlights belonging to love (relationships) as well alienation in family (he is an orphan who has never met his parents. he is alienated in the orphange because he never gave up hope that his parents were looking for him, he had a sense that he belonged with them etc etc). Also belonging to music is in there,

its just an amazing film that has LOADS of techniques.

Zorbini

HSC
I'm doing the movie 'Babel'.

I found lots of concepts and ideas relating to belonging.

Andrei01

HSC
alcalder said:
Dead Poets' Society (much of Robin Williams' serious movies are about belonging - Life According to Garp)
Good Will Hunting
Meet the Robinsons
Edward Scissorhands
Heathers

The list could go forever.

Am I right in thinking that "Belonging" is the new "Journeys" and "Journeys" have taken one? I think that is what an English Teacher friend of mine said.
yeah im going to use "dead Poets Society.

It seems really good for analysing how belonging to can ultimatly lead to confromity (in that it subverts it).
The rebellion that the boys show towards the end when they stand on their desks seems like a really good scene to use in order to show how rejection of belonging can ultimatly lead to something greater (if that makes sense lol)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
"the shawshank redemption"
or "looking for alibrandi"

Stoogey

HSC
Im reading The Crucible at school as my AoS text, and there is also a film on it (with the same name, stars Daniel Day Lewis and Winona Ryder). There is a modern version of it in color, and i also think my teacher told me there is an oldschool black and white version....if your into that kinda thing :)

S.hadow

HSC
the movie "pleasantville" is a good one and not many people know it.
check it out :)

joshoh

HSC
Redemption - Looks at the bloods and the crips, original gangs LA.
Story of Stan Tookie Williams played by Jamie Foxx

Clockwork Orange by Stanley Kubrick

Last edited:

Thangquangtu

QUANG(*)
HSC
joshoh said:
Redemption - Looks at the bloods and the crips, original gangs LA.
Story of Stan Tookie Williams played by Jamie Foxx

Clockwork Orange by Stanley Kubrick
Redemption looks cool.

I'll watch that soon lol.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Andrei01 said:
yeah im going to use "dead Poets Society.

It seems really good for analysing how belonging to can ultimately lead to confromity (in that it subverts it).
The rebellion that the boys show towards the end when they stand on their desks seems like a really good scene to use in order to show how rejection of belonging can ultimatly lead to something greater (if that makes sense lol)
Also, I like the scene where he has the three boys walk around the compound and they end up walking in step. Then he has everyone walk and one guy doesn't because he reserves his right not to walk thus illustrating the point :D

Also, interesting in that last scene is that the teacher is annoyed that they have not studied any of the conformist literature and they have to start over. AND that he picks on one boy to give him answers - the one that is probably seen as the most conformist "goody goody". In fact, the one who really doesn't "belong" because he obeys the teachers more than the others. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)