Movies about belonging (1 Viewer)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
The Kite Runner - the movie, even though there is a book as well

dangerous11

HSC
thats not true, you know movies for children actually have more evident morals throughout the film..
all you need to do is justify your answer and source your response, regardless of your chosen text

iiinsane02

HSC
The Kite Runner - the movie, even though there is a book as well
The Kite Runner actually conveys the concept of 'Belonging' quite impressively.

Other suggestions:
Rabbit Proof Fence
Freedom Writers
Clueless
The Truman Show
Edward Scissorhands
Billy Elliot
The Castle

There's a fanciful quantity of Belonging-related films. If you're still struggling, find a film which represents Change or Journeys, and try your hardest to link them to the new model. Pay extra attention to what the question(s) ask you though.

I hope that helps.

peeAKAponi

HSC
im planning on doing the movie "edward sissorhand" ><" was wonder can anione provide me sum help wiff the file techniques taht in the film><"
any help would be mucchh appreciated><;)

akadaka22

HSC
ive been told from previous years that cartoon and child movies can be marked down due to limited creativity in the selection of texts.

a few suggestions are:
dances with wolves
coach carter
fight club
power of one
mississippi burning
hotel rwanda
good will hunting
running with scissors

MrDimple

HSC
im doing rabbit proof fence and some text/play rainbows end im just kindastuck on rabbit proofs fence i got a few about the welfare but if anyone remembers any good techniques could you give me a hint to foucus on and stuff like scenes

piegohere

HSC
well thing is, for some reason the hsc markers and teachers cream themselves over australia material, soooo i was thinking romper stomper to some extent, or even the dreaded rabbit proof fence, theres also the wog? and other aussie movies that deal with belonging, and if all else fails, bmx bandits

and well while were on the topic of belonging material, i wanted to suggest, catcher in the rhy as a novel to use, short, to the point and follows the concept of belonging like nothing ive ever read before

mikael.cfc

HSC
'remember the titans' its a great film, because there is more than one sence of belonging in the movie, at first the players feel as they belong to their race (black or white), then after a stage in the movie (the camp) the players belong together as ONE team, they have a SENCE of belonging

eryn

HSC
im doing the simple gift and the movie monster (Starring Charlize Theron and Christina Ricci based on the true story of Aileen Wurnos) but i cant think of 2 other texts
our teacher is saying we should have 2 others for a back up instead of one
what would be 2 texts will relate to the 2 i already have?

min-tee

HSC
Watchmen
Revolutionary Road
Into the Wild
X-Men

Last edited:

kaitlynm

HSC
N/A
thats not true, you know movies for children actually have more evident morals throughout the film..
all you need to do is justify your answer and source your response, regardless of your chosen text
i totally agree its not all about the text its about your ability to relate it to belonging... childrens movies are particularly good for belonging eg shrek which caters for both children and adults.

my advice to people is choose a text you understand and that you can relate to... people go on expansive searches trying to find the 'perfect text' which they don't effectively analyse and hence dont get the mark they wanted.
Find a text that has a good grounding for belonging that you can effectively relate and add your own creativity/ideas, the markers want to see something new that you've come up with yourself.

English is about bullshit- you can say the sky is red as long as you can prove it.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
i usually try to find texts that have a common theme with the prescribed.

since it's as you like it [and i used the shawshank redemption for the half yearly], i was thinking of boys don't cry, but i'm slightly unsure because it's a pretty intense film.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
i usually try to find texts that have a common theme with the prescribed.

since it's as you like it [and i used the shawshank redemption for the half yearly], i was thinking of boys don't cry, but i'm slightly unsure because it's a pretty intense film.
I'm sure it would be okay, as long as you don't mention any graphic or violent scene too explicitly in your essay.
I'm using American History X for my Module C, and my teacher said it should be alright, so Boys Don't Cry should be fine to use.

raniael

HSC
Hello guys,

just wondering if theres any good movies out there that relates to "belonging".

I got an english assessment that I'm stuck with atm. :(

If theres any you guys recommend, post away !

Thanks heaps.

hi i think an excellent movie wolud be "Not without my daughter" where an american women and her daughter are forced to move and stay in iran, and due tradition, and religion, they cant adapt to the country, and noone makes them feel welcome there, so they lose their sense of belonging, security etc. i highly reccommend this one!!!!!goodluck

Viru10

HSC
Hmmmm yeh i was thinking the other day would lord of the rings (prob the first movie the most) be suitable and appropriate to use as a related text for belonging?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
If anyone wants a belonging text that relates to feminism, the unconscious mind and the materialism of modern culture (maybe to contrast to Emily Dickinson's metaphysical nature poems) the film Mulholland Drive is excellent. There are many subtle techniques, and the film encourages you to make a personal interpretation of the plot and characters.

Personally though, I find it hard to find films that don't address belonging as a main theme.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)