Movies about belonging (1 Viewer)

merewether

HSC
N/A
You could always try Eragon...i know the movie sucks and is a piece of crap, but the books are good and in 'Brisingr' there are a number of different points about which you could say he belongs...'Eldest' too, specially with the elves and dwarves surrounding him...he does not 'belong' in alagaesia anymore, he belongs with saphira, he is constantly longing for someone like him, and when he gets it in murtag, its incomplete, coz murtag is on other side of battle, but they still feel like they belong together as brothers (half-brothers) and murtag lets him go free, and Eragon wont kill murtag despite given an opportunity or 2 after overpowering him...
maybe bad idea, but i managed to extrtapolate it a bit...though, maybe better for outsider, which you could turn around and say its how he doesnt belong, and there are ample reasons for that in the 2nd chaptyer of the first book when we are introduced to him...

ruchira2122

HSC
'A Beautiful Mind' is a pretty good choice.. deals with the psychological need for belonging

just out of curiosity, is Looking for Alibrandi considered too shallow/basic for year 12?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't do Looking for Alibrandi. Don't do Eragon. And yeah, LFA is considered a bit too basic for Advanced level. Same with the other Melina Marchetta novel, Saving Francesca.

Little Miss Sunshine is good. Kite Runner is good.

Mary_Ela

HSC
what movie relates to 'as you like it?' or book???
please help!!

RockstarUnknown

HSC
Hey people. :)
My prescribed text is Great Expectations (Charles Dickens) and I need 2 related texts.
I was thinking about using Nobody's Home (Lyrics, Avril Lavigne) for my written related text, but I'd need a visual text, and I have no idea, but I'd like it to relate some how with the relationship between Pip and Estella where he wants to belong to her "league" (Someone she would date)

Thanks for any help I can get in advance! <3

assiduous

HSC
I'm unclear about the english syllabus. Do we need related texts for modules A,B,C and the Area of Study too??! :confused: Can someone, please clear this up for me.

If so, i think i need related texts for "Immigrant Chronicle"

beth5879

HSC
Hey, would Garden state be a good movie to study for a speech on belonging?
I am totally lost for movies.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm unclear about the english syllabus. Do we need related texts for modules A,B,C and the Area of Study too??! :confused: Can someone, please clear this up for me.

If so, i think i need related texts for "Immigrant Chronicle"
No, you only need related texts for Area of Study and Module C.

xcavars

HSC
Montage is used at the beginning of the film where Eva is recalling her life up until where it is today - growing up, someone getting shot, her father getting taken away. You could relate that beack to belonging and how the latino's dont belong in that society and how they are being alienated by the police taking the father and locking him up.

A CRUCIAL scene is the one where Mrs Gruwell is handing out the prescribed texts and one of the latino boys gets up and although he is not well known in the class, still makes an amazing speech about how he doesnt have a roof over his head yet still feels like he belongs in the class "And when i walked through these gates.... I am home." Kind of like how the minor character of Jacque in as you like it makes the "all the worlds a stage speech." lol, thats my prescribed text. haha

The camera angle goes from showing the close up of the boys face, to a close up of Mrs G and then a wide shot of the class and then to close ups of the different people in the class (a person from each race - latino, asian, etc)
The wide camera angle shows how the class has come together, the different characters have come together and the races are not segregated at the beginning of the scene. Music is also playing, but im not sure what the music is.

Also, the "Line Game" is another crucial scene, showing how the students are from different races yet still have been through the same experiences.

The scene with Anne Franks friend is another good scene.

Also, maybe have a look at the Head Teacher of english and how she is constantly fighting against the class and Mrs Gruwell.

Its been a while since I've seen the film, but its my favourite film ever!

I'm sure theres more scenes and stuff, but like I said, its been a while hahaha.

Hope I've helped and not confused you!

Any tips for 'All the worlds a stage'? :)

vantastic

HSC
at first i used 'sweeney todd' for the assessment, but then changed it to the french-canadian film C.R.A.Z.Y. cos i doubt that many ppl would use it. alot of the texts ppl have mentioned are REALLY common. like mean girls wtf!

beth5879

HSC
I am going to do the movie thirteen for this belonging speech, does anyone have any suggestions or help for techniques used?
Would be very appreciated if you could help.

courtB

HSC
does anyone know any techniques for August Rush?????????????

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I've avoided using a movie this year, instead, I've gone with a television series in particular one episode from the first season of... Glee.

jimmyGo

HSC
District 9,full of recurring motifs & couples with the concepts of belonging very well! + it has the added bonus of being a pretty good movie, if i were anygood with film i would use it as a related text

little leo

HSC
Hey I'm doing little miss sunshine
Does anyone have any help for film techniques in it
and ideas on belonging?
I suck at doing films 9_9
thanks

ashooles

HSC
I'm doing What's Eating Gilbert Grape with Romulus, My Father. So mch can go in there :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)