MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
ECON111 was one of my favourite units tbh. If you don't have to do econ111 you will just have to do some other mindless elective or business unit. Do you despise economics this much that you would miss out on a whole semester of study? That will make you graduate a semester later and potentially miss out on half a year's worth of salary. Just a few things to think about, even if you dislike economics.
Thanks Zoinked - just to clarify, I like economics and it's kind of nice you can use the free CORE online textbook for the unit. I'll still have to do economics next year, it's just a different unit (Principles of Economics I) and with the 10 cp weighting (and all that new stuff coming in 2020). Hope that clears it up a bit. I just don't want to spend $1,500 on something this year when I can get it better next year (and my question is if anyone knows if it's better/what the differences are). For example, the current Commerce - Professional Accounting requires the management and marketing first year units, but they're not core in the 2020 version - meaning the degrees change a bit more than MQ is advertising. Hence just wanna make sure that what I do in ECON111 will carry over well to the new degree next year.

Any suggestions?

Also, side note - I didn't realise tutorials fill up so quick and an 8 pm Wednesday one was the only one I could do (with full time work + travel). Is it common for teachers to allow working students into full tutorials on special consideration or something of the sort? Or are they likely to create more late tutorials? (For some reason only Wednesday has tutorials later than 6 at the moment). Should I contact someone about this? If so, who?

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Thanks Zoinked - just to clarify, I like economics and it's kind of nice you can use the free CORE online textbook for the unit. I'll still have to do economics next year, it's just a different unit (Principles of Economics I) and with the 10 cp weighting (and all that new stuff coming in 2020). Hope that clears it up a bit. I just don't want to spend $1,500 on something this year when I can get it better next year (and my question is if anyone knows if it's better/what the differences are). For example, the current Commerce - Professional Accounting requires the management and marketing first year units, but they're not core in the 2020 version - meaning the degrees change a bit more than MQ is advertising. Hence just wanna make sure that what I do in ECON111 will carry over well to the new degree next year.

Any suggestions?

Also, side note - I didn't realise tutorials fill up so quick and an 8 pm Wednesday one was the only one I could do (with full time work + travel). Is it common for teachers to allow working students into full tutorials on special consideration or something of the sort? Or are they likely to create more late tutorials? (For some reason only Wednesday has tutorials later than 6 at the moment). Should I contact someone about this? If so, who?
Oh right. Ok yea then I guess you can put it off. About your last point. One of the best things about macquarie is that you can enrol in classes super early, like months in advance. However, that often does mean that all the good classes get taken up early (even on the first enrollment day sometimes). I'm not sure about being able to get special consideration. Maybe try and chase down an email address for the unit convenor of the unit you are trying to get into and see what they can do?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Oh right. Ok yea then I guess you can put it off. About your last point. One of the best things about macquarie is that you can enrol in classes super early, like months in advance. However, that often does mean that all the good classes get taken up early (even on the first enrollment day sometimes). I'm not sure about being able to get special consideration. Maybe try and chase down an email address for the unit convenor of the unit you are trying to get into and see what they can do?
Thanks Zoinked,

I've found an email address - I believe the unit convenor is Paul Crosby. How should you address lecturers/tutors/unit convenors in emails?

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
Any of you have done DMTH137- Discrete Mathematics I ?

Im also doing MATH136- Mathematics 1B this sem but Ive heard that discrete maths is really different and difficult than the usual calculus+linear algebra. Do you guys have any tips I should keep in mind or particular study methods which helped you guys get good marks for this unit.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks Zoinked,

I've found an email address - I believe the unit convenor is Paul Crosby. How should you address lecturers/tutors/unit convenors in emails?
Most of the lecturers/tutors I have had, I have addressed them by their first name, because that is how they introduced themselves in emails/lectures. He's a doctor of philosophy but doesn't appear to use that as part of his "brand". I'd do something formal to begin with, then match his tone if you need to respond. Also, remember to send the email from your student mail.

I.e Dear Doctor Crosby,
Your issue
Thank you,
Your full name (plus student number)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I'm not Ben - but I did PHL137 when I was in year 11 (part of GAT) and most of the stuff I learnt in it stuck with me and all the people I know who did it got HD. Highly recommend if Albert Atkin is still doing it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
how did you find phl137, interested in picking it up as an elect/p&p
MAS214 is a people unit that I found interesting. I did a review here:

Some of my mates have taken PHL137 and have enjoyed it.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
4 from mq, 4 from unsw but they will do it in january cause of trimsters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)