MQ Sem 1 Results Thread (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
In an attempt to revive this dead forum... How did everyone do?

Due to a massive shitfight with fines i only got my results yesterday, 2 HD's and a C. So incredibly disappointed with the credit, though it was the hardest unit i've taken to date... still, could have really used that distinction =/

powlmao

Banned
HSC
In an attempt to revive this dead forum... How did everyone do?

Due to a massive shitfight with fines i only got my results yesterday, 2 HD's and a C. So incredibly disappointed with the credit, though it was the hardest unit i've taken to date... still, could have really used that distinction =/
Curious, which course do you take?? Was it hard to achieve the HD/C

Blizane

HSC
2 HD's and 2 D's for me.

Pretty happy with one of the D's since going into the final I was only on a P, so that turned out good.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
3 Crs and one D - finally pulled my law WAM to non-embarrassing range, huzzah! this is what happens when you nearly fail a subject kids...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Curious, which course do you take?? Was it hard to achieve the HD/C
I do a B. Ancient History. One of the HD's was a 100 lvl AHIS unit that i was already quite familiar with so it really wasn't that difficult. The second HD was 300 lvl AHIS and required a fuckton of research so wasn't really easy. The credit was a new 300 lvl AHIS unit and i had to work my ass off to get anything even approaching decent marks, mind you it was probably the most rewarding and useful unit i've taken so far.

Snooty

HSC
2 D's, 1 Cr and a P. Must've screwed up the IT Law take-home exam hard.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey snooty, what other law electives did you choose? i'm still trying to figure out what im going to choose for summer school / sem 1 2012 but handbook gives very little guidance :(

Atlas

HSC
N/A
hey snooty, what other law electives did you choose? i'm still trying to figure out what im going to choose for summer school / sem 1 2012 but handbook gives very little guidance :(
Which law electives are you interested in? Which ones are available through summer school?

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey Atlas,
well i'm looking for research based law electives ... in the past i've enjoyed constitutional law and international law so i'm trying to find something as enjoyable as that (im planning on taking advanced constitutional law next year and this semester i'm thinking of taking international trade & finance but idk if it's as enjoyable as international law).
for summer school there's not much choice, you only get health law & ethics and international environmental law. i'm sort of interested in health law & ethics but i heard the lecturer is way too disorganized so i guess the only option left is international environmental law? which i have very little idea about.
is there any law elective that you really recommend? cause atm i feel like im just going to use a random number generator to decide my electives :redface:

Snooty

HSC
Health Law and Ethics, Trade Practices Law and International Law.

Health Law was super relaxed and research based. In tutorials, we just sat around on beanbags for an hour discussing various ethical dilemas. The assessments included a small research essay, a group research task and a research proposal. More of an ethics course than a law one. Should be an easy Distinction though. The average mark was 74 this semester. Also, after about week 6, there didn't seem to be any weekly readings.

Trade Practices is all legislation based. First half of the semester was Competition Law and the second half was Consumer Law. Two in-class tests and a take-home exam. Most of the things you learn are pretty useful so it keeps you interested throughout the semester. Didn't even need to read the textbook for this as the lecture slides were quite detailed.

International Law is a core now I think? It wasn't too bad. Half of the topics were interesting, the other half boring. The assessments were standard - class participation, problem question + essay and a final research essay. No exams.

Hope that helps.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
wow... nearly non-existent reading + 74 average mark? health law is starting to look REALLY attractive now ... minus the group work component. i might even begin to like that George dude if i get to sit on beanbags :D

and damn trade practice sounds really intense, i might stay away from it cause i always screw up in-class tests (*brings up bitter memories from contracts, property and admin law*).

thanks for the info, i wouldn'tve known this much from the handbook alone.

for now my sem 2 units are:
ADR
Family law
Bus Org
International Trade & Finance

I wonder what other people are doing this sem, would be nice to know people doing the same unit(s) as me.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
hey Atlas,
well i'm looking for research based law electives ... in the past i've enjoyed constitutional law and international law so i'm trying to find something as enjoyable as that (im planning on taking advanced constitutional law next year and this semester i'm thinking of taking international trade & finance but idk if it's as enjoyable as international law).
for summer school there's not much choice, you only get health law & ethics and international environmental law. i'm sort of interested in health law & ethics but i heard the lecturer is way too disorganized so i guess the only option left is international environmental law? which i have very little idea about.
is there any law elective that you really recommend? cause atm i feel like im just going to use a random number generator to decide my electives :redface:
Hmmm... research based law electives - I take it, you like writing essays more than doing hypotheticals??

For Family Law - if the structure hasn't changed, then it should have a lot of research in the final assignment.

If you get a chance, try one of the placement programs - you'll have a lot of fun and experience during your placement, and there's a big research component that you should get a freehand to pick a topic in a specific area.

For health law, aside from George and the beanbags - the actual subject is really interesting and the cases will get you thinking, and if he still gets you to read the Euthanasia book, it's actually a good read, if you're interested in the subject.

Hope that helped, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks Atlas,
i'm really, really considering of doing health law now & i never thought of applying for the placement programs - i heard its super competitive? but research component sounds like tons of fun. well ive got nothing to lose so i'll apply it the next time around.

i just saw the unit outline for international trade & finance. all research based assignments but TONS of readings from week 1 ... and as usual 1/3 of the readings are not accessible *annoyed*

Atlas

HSC
N/A
thanks Atlas,
i'm really, really considering of doing health law now & i never thought of applying for the placement programs - i heard its super competitive? but research component sounds like tons of fun. well ive got nothing to lose so i'll apply it the next time around.

i just saw the unit outline for international trade & finance. all research based assignments but TONS of readings from week 1 ... and as usual 1/3 of the readings are not accessible *annoyed*
Some of the placements are very competitive and may depend on your results etc. Try applying for the access to justice units, they seem to be adding some more of these placement units so chances should be improving. Definitely worth giving it a go, best of luck, they really are worthwhile. In the meantime, (if you haven't already done so) you should also try sitting in the courts - great experience and you get to see law "in action".

:D You seem so studious - you have already tried to do readings?!!

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i've been to the drug court once for legal ethics assignment, it was really funny. but i guess thats quite different from proper court experience.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
i've been to the drug court once for legal ethics assignment, it was really funny. but i guess thats quite different from proper court experience.
If you have the time, spend a day in court - you can check the court list online to pick which day you want to go. Some days of the week hear particular types of cases. It depends on your interests, but criminal cases can be really fascinating, as well as family law cases... There's a lot to observe that law textbooks can't tell you about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)