• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

Kulazzi

HSC
M.I.A-187 said:
Well i dunno where my post is at now since it is buried by that much debates going on o_0.

I think those muslim should learn to chill or draw their funny comic about christian their own so they can enjoy the humor being gained :). After thinking for a while well i am buddist and in truth i wouldn't really like it if some pplz make jokes about religion but the thing is buddist wouldn't go round threataning to chop off pplz's head wu tang clan style.
Well the thing is, the drawings of Muhammad (PBUH), or of any other prophets, whether they depict him as happy or sad or angry etc, is forbidden. Overall, it is forbidden because then the followers will start to stray from the path of religion and worship Muhammad (PBUH) instead of Allah (SWT). :)

I am disappointed and shocked, but I am not violent. It's just the wild ideas by those middle-eastern people and the extremism they go to from the middle east. Generally, Muslims in the west are disappointed and shocked, but not violent.

lilg

HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

GoodSirLancelot said:
Too bad I'm an atheist you dirty muslim bastard.

People should be free to criticise whatever the fuck they want and not have some fascist, crazy fucking retard muslim shithead threaten to kill them.
shame on you sir lancelot.... everything you have said.. your replies are a reflection of only your immaturity and ignorance.

one such as you does not posses the worth to even labell yourself such a noble man as he, (thought fictionary) whom never failed in gentleness, CoURTESY, or good faith.

Hardenne

HSC
Wait, i don't get it, if you say that there is fredom of speech, then what is the difference of saying racists comments about Aboriginies or anything race in that case and mocking a religion? It's obviously wrong to be racist, so why should it be 'freedom of speech' when mocking a religion? If you people are ignorant enough to have no morals or basic logic, to understand the concept of freedom of speech, theres ovbiously no point in arguing, you have no brains to begin with.

Most of you a stuck with sterotypes from media, just dont forget all those countries that have protested, such as Iraq, Afgahnistan or Lebanon, represent a minority of Muslims, and 'coincedently' these are the nations that are either war-torn or in deep poverty, so please don't judge an entire nation or religion, becuase you probably don't have any idea to live in a country where you are surrounded by death. Religion is the only the these guys have left, and by taking this away from them, you leave them with nothing. (In other words, the issue of violent protests, isnt a religious, it is a sturctural/ political issue, and these countries have no power to control, becuase the US has chosen to take it into thier own hands)

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
there's also been protests in places like London....thats a war-torn or poverity-stricken area?

and see, the thing is, freedom of speech is the right to say something wrong. Though the cartoons still are a critique, not a simple attack. But who should decide if something is 'wrong'? There are people here that think all religions are wrong...does that mean we should get rid of them? Freedom is that you can say or do something even if someone else doesn't like it. Doesn't mean other people can't say "hey, i disagree"

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Hardenne said:
Wait, i don't get it, if you say that there is fredom of speech, then what is the difference of saying racists comments about Aboriginies or anything race in that case and mocking a religion? It's obviously wrong to be racist, so why should it be 'freedom of speech' when mocking a religion? If you people are ignorant enough to have no morals or basic logic, to understand the concept of freedom of speech, theres ovbiously no point in arguing, you have no brains to begin with.
Because race/sexuality cannot be changed, religion can. Who bases morals upon what?? Many things that religious leaders say are offensive to people such as gays, etc. and they believe this is justified and no one complains or takes offence, but when a cartoon portrays a Prophet (piss and shit be upon him), Muslims react in anger with violence and take offence and demand that people be subject to their religious law which includes capital punishment.

Kulazzi

HSC
ihavenothing said:
Because race/sexuality cannot be changed, religion can. Who bases morals upon what?? Many things that religious leaders say are offensive to people such as gays, etc. and they believe this is justified and no one complains or takes offence, but when a cartoon portrays a Prophet (piss and shit be upon him), Muslims react in anger with violence and take offence and demand that people be subject to their religious law which includes capital punishment.
Correction, those living in the Middle-East react with much anger and violence.

Religion cannot change - it's already laid down for you, your values, your morals, it's already set as concrete. Sexuality can change. Race change is a possibility as well.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Kulazzi said:
Correction, those living in the Middle-East react with much anger and violence.
Wrong, what about the protests in London and Venezuela that called for people to be beheaded.

Kulazzi said:
Religion cannot change - it's already laid down for you, your values, your morals, it's already set as concrete. Race change is a possibility as well.
Yes you can, people convert to other religions all the time, and morals and values can change with attitudes by living in a certain environment or once that you learn that those things that you learnt in the bible/koran - They ain't neccessarily so (quoting Cole Porter).

Kulazzi said:
Sexuality can change
As someone who is homosexual, I personally know that my sexuality cannot be changed no matter how hard I have tried. I'm pretty sure that most heterosexual people would never be able to feel attracted to the same sex as well.

Kulazzi said:
Race change is a possibility as well.
WTF?? This is still impossible, Even if you are Michael Jackson, your DNA will always be prescribed to your race features.

Last edited:

Kulazzi

HSC
ihavenothing said:
Wrong, what about the protests in London and Venezuela that called for people to be beheaded.
They are protests, you mentioned violence and so did I

ihavenothing said:
Yes you can, people convert to other religions all the time, and morals and values can change with attitudes by living in a certain environment or once that you learn that those things that you learnt in the bible/koran - They ain't neccessarily so (quoting Cole Porter).
yes, people change but most religions are based on the same ground information - religion cannot change, but the individuals themselves can.

ihavenothing said:
As someone who is homosexual, I personally know that my sexuality cannot be changed no matter how hard I have tried. I'm pretty sure that most heterosexual people would never be able to feel attracted to the same sex as well.
I'm not going against homosexual. I'm saying sexuality can change - some people do change into becoming a homosexual. I didn't say you have to change back into heterosexual in order to have a sexuality change

ihavenothing said:
WTF?? This is still impossible, Even if you are Michael Jackson, your DNA will always be prescribed to your race features.
Good point there.

davin

HSC
N/A
how can you say religion is fixed and impossible to change but sexuality is? Religion is simply a belief. Why can't one change that, if one can change sexuality?

and waht do you mean by most religions being based on same ground information?

Kulazzi

HSC
davin said:
how can you say religion is fixed and impossible to change but sexuality is? Religion is simply a belief. Why can't one change that, if one can change sexuality?

and waht do you mean by most religions being based on same ground information?
religion itself is fixed but the individual who believes in religion is the only person who can change in between religions. One can change his/her beliefs, but not the religion. Do you understand what I'm saying? If I'm making you more confused, then say so and I'll try again.

Same ground info - belief in god/gods, there were many prophets/messengers/gospels who passed one the message of religion etcx. etc.

davin

HSC
N/A
ok, if thats what you mean, then how does it become relevant to the matter at hand, and how does that make it worse to criticse religion than race or sexuality?

Kulazzi

HSC
davin said:
ok, if thats what you mean, then how does it become relevant to the matter at hand
maybe you should re-read my posts above (and ihavenothing's)

davin said:
and how does that make it worse to criticse religion than race or sexuality?
when did I say that?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Kulazzi said:
yes, people change but most religions are based on the same ground information - religion cannot change, but the individuals themselves can.

how the hell cant it change? people convert all the time. Everyone is born without a religion, and then they decide with one to follow it already shows yuor talking shit, and trying to defend something with bullshit

Kulazzi

HSC
SashatheMan said:
how the hell cant it change? people convert all the time. Everyone is born without a religion, and then they decide with one to follow it already shows yuor talking shit, and trying to defend something with bullshit
wait waigt wait wait wait....i think we're having a very big misunderstanding here. When someone said that religion can change, I interpreted it as that the actual religion itself can change (hence all my arguments regarding individuals). I agree with what you're saying, but what I'm trying to say is that for example, Islam cannot change, Christianity cannot change, Judaism cannot change but the people who follow them can change their religion, their beliefs. I hope you understand now........

davin

HSC
N/A
well, what was said was:
Because race/sexuality cannot be changed, religion can.
this was after someone saying criticising a group based on religion was the same as criticising the group based on race. in context, how did you view that as talking about the concepts of race, sexuality, and religion when the context of this whole thread has been people choosing to belong to a religion that is being criticised.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I agree with what you're saying, but what I'm trying to say is that for example, Islam cannot change, Christianity cannot change, Judaism cannot change but the people who follow them can change their religion, their beliefs. I hope you understand now........
While it's a bit of a tangent... religions do change ;) look at the inquisition and then the christian church of today.

davin

HSC
N/A
indeed, religions definitly do have the potential to change and evolve over time

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
as long as there is some sort of text
in some sort of language
that is meant to be followed and understood, there will always be interpretations and reinterpretations, and hence religions change.

the written word should always be handled with great suspicion, since the very nature of reading is still, nevertheless up to interpretation.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
davin said:
indeed, religions definitly do have the potential to change and evolve over time
It's true, Christianity especially has changed greatly, particuarly in the reformation and renaissance period. Prior to this it had a lot in common with Islam in terms of backward-ness, unfortunately Islam has not undergone such a change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)