multiple choice help (1 Viewer)

jj.oc

HSC
im confident i got the rest of the multiple choice right, but im still confused about these questions. does any one know?

What best explains increasing interfaith dialogue in Australia since 1945?
a) growing secularism
b) increased sectarianism
c)the work of the council for ABoriginal Reconciliation
d) Catholic membership of the NCCA

Which of the following best reflects the reason for ecumenism in Australia's current religious landscape?
a) a shared concern for social justice
b) increased awareness of the potential for interfaith dialogue
c)a decline in the number of Christian adherents
d) the beginning of resource sharing including church buildings in rural australia

Which of the following best expresses the Aboriginal Dreaming
a)smoking ceremony and totems
c)Myths legends and enactment ceremonies
the others were stupid i cant be bothered writing them up

THANKS!

mecramarathon

HSC
1) A
2) C (i'm not sure but textbooks say ecumenism was done due to its declining importance and threat of secularism - but others say it was done to tackle social justice issues)
3) C (sounds more like reenactment of ceremonies than smoking ceremonies)

BUT OMG what was Q6!??
because from 1945 to 2006 there was:
a smaller proportion of anglicans
a greater proportion of catholics
a greater proportion of pentecostals
the proportion of uniting church has remained the same (according to spotlight)
a smaller proportion of presbyterian

and none of A B C or D fitted ...

HSC
It was D. There were a lower amount of Presbytarians due to the formation of the Uniting Church. That's what I put anyway.

jj.oc

HSC
1) A
2) C (i'm not sure but textbooks say ecumenism was done due to its declining importance and threat of secularism - but others say it was done to tackle social justice issues)
3) C (sounds more like reenactment of ceremonies than smoking ceremonies)

BUT OMG what was Q6!??
because from 1945 to 2006 there was:
a smaller proportion of anglicans
a greater proportion of catholics
a greater proportion of pentecostals
the proportion of uniting church has remained the same (according to spotlight)
a smaller proportion of presbyterian

and none of A B C or D fitted ...

i got the same for 1 and 3
question 6 was D, ie there are more uniting church members now then there was in 1945 (because it didnt exist), and presbyterian has obviously decreased since a large majority of them joined the uniting church..

but yer for the second one i thought it was social justice -> only coz the aim of the ecumenical movement is something like "to express Christs vision of the Church more accurately", and Christ=>good works=>tacklig social justice issues....but im probs wrong

ijaz101

Lord
HSC
im confident i got the rest of the multiple choice right, but im still confused about these questions. does any one know?

a) growing secularism

Which of the following best reflects the reason for ecumenism in Australia's current religious landscape?
d) the beginning of resource sharing including church buildings in rural australia

THANKS!
I THINK:
1) C - it cant be A coz secularism is when religion is rejected by society
2) A (gut feeling) and
3) C its definitely c coz B isnt related at all to the Dreaming

jj.oc

HSC
i think the first ones A only by elimination
can be B coz obvs thats between demoninations
cant be C coz thats a legal body and does not involve religious traditions at all
cant be D coz thats about ecumenism

miacarolan

HSC
I put A for the interfaith dialogue question by elimination.

A for the ecumenism question because denominations unite for the benefit of contentious issues in society, at least that's what i thought.

and A for the Dreaming question? i wasn't sure about B because of the phrasing "myths and legends." From what i'd learnt they're referred to as more 'stories' rather than 'myths'

Woteva636

HSC
Q 9(interfaith)- A (a secular society threatens the religions)
Q 10(ecumenisism) - C
Q 3( i think it was)(Aboriginies)- C (I think)
Q 6 (proportions of members)- D (Presbyterians dropped and uniting rose because the unitings formed from the presbyterians after 45)

HSC
hmm question 10. i dont think its C because the question says what BEST explains.

interfaith hasnt increased in all areas of society just cause of one council.

but rather, secularism has caused many to come together to show the importance of faith, and spirtuality in society.

ilinh

HSC
a) growing secularism

-Process of elimination but I remember in my notes saying that one of the reasons for Interfaith Dialogue is because there is the in increasing secular society, Interfaith Dialogues helps brings out the importance of faith.

d) the beginning of resource sharing including church buildings in rural australia.

I'm am really confident it is answer A but this might be one of those trick questions. By process of elimination, it cant be B (Because Interfaith Dialogue has nothing to do with ecumenism) and it can't be D (Possibly sounds more like the work of ecumenism not the reason for it) so it is either A or C.

But what put me off about C is the fact that it said a decline in the 'NUMBER'of christian adherants. This means that there that there is a decline of Christians in the population. Not possible because there is still a growth of Christian adherants but it is not as much as the the other religious populations such is Buddhism and Islam. If the wording of that answer was changed to "A decline in the proportion of Christian adherants" only then I would have reconsidered picking A. Therefore, I think A has to be the correct answer because ecumenism does not only promote Christian unity but largely aims bring Churches to work together for a better justice and peace and so forth.

Myth and Legends DO NOT express aboriginal dreaming! THE DREAMING is integral in an Aborigines' spirituality and their sense of identity. If myths and legends express the the dreaming then myths and legends express their spirituality and identity? I don't think so.

STARLCKS - Stories, Totesm, Artwork, Rituals, Land, Ceremonties, Kinship and Sacred sites all determine and express the dreaming.

M/C is a blessing to this awful exam.

mecramarathon

HSC
But i insist for ecumenism the answer is decline in number of christian adherents (it is true that the number of chrisitan adherents are increasing...)cause they were becoming less influential in an increasingly pluralistic and materialisitc and secularisitc society during the 60s - 90sand the biggest major reason was to stop sectarianism between rivalry denominations and to understand each others belief - they weren't like 'oh lets join up so we can tackle the injustice of aboriginal people'
and some textbooks do acknowledge aboriginal myths and legends (+ i studied myths and legends in english extension)oh well multiple choice always kills before we died in section 3

Last edited:

.N.

HSC
But i insist for ecumenism the answer is decline in number of christian adherents (it is true that the number of chrisitan adherents are increasing...)cause they were becoming less influential in an increasingly pluralistic and materialisitc and secularisitc society during the 60s - 90sand the biggest major reason was to stop sectarianism between rivalry denominations and to understand each others belief - they weren't like 'oh lets join up so we can tackle the injustice of aboriginal people'
and some textbooks do acknowledge aboriginal myths and legends (+ i studied myths and legends in english extension)oh well multiple choice always kills before we died in section 3
I just looked at my textbook... and for the increasing interfaith dialgoue.... it Has stated that one reason was the NCCA... so now im thinking itts d.... however I put c because Aboriginal reconciliation involves different faiths in a way so i thought that matches with interfaith dialogue. also for question 2 i put smoking ceremonies and totems.... but wen i came out of the exam i thought ohh no its c) myths legends and enactment cermonies... but some students were saying it cant be that coz the dreaming is about legends and not myths! soo i dunno I feel like i got soooo many multiple choice questions wrong... its quite concerning=/

Baggygreen408

HSC
For the interfaith dialogue question... i thought what was interfaith dialogue about- at its core- its about understanding each other- community, tolerance, mutual respect and appreciation- breaking down stereotypes and differences to work for a common set of Austra;lian ideals/vlaues in a mutlifaith country. I put B- beacuse although many people would refer to sectarianism as the tension between Anglicans and Catholics prior to 1945, it refers to any lack of cooperation and tolerance, where people just remain in their own set of beliefs and ideals in a particular religion... if you also look at the Living Relligion text book, it says it there as well- that the need to overcome sectarianism has been a defining element of interfaith dialogue... i don't see how secularism is applicable, ebcause different religions don't want people to follow another religion, they wuld prefer them to follow theirs... so, i thought it wasn't an answer straight away

.N.

HSC
For the interfaith dialogue question... i thought what was interfaith dialogue about- at its core- its about understanding each other- community, tolerance, mutual respect and appreciation- breaking down stereotypes and differences to work for a common set of Austra;lian ideals/vlaues in a mutlifaith country. I put B- beacuse although many people would refer to sectarianism as the tension between Anglicans and Catholics prior to 1945, it refers to any lack of cooperation and tolerance, where people just remain in their own set of beliefs and ideals in a particular religion... if you also look at the Living Relligion text book, it says it there as well- that the need to overcome sectarianism has been a defining element of interfaith dialogue... i don't see how secularism is applicable, ebcause different religions don't want people to follow another religion, they wuld prefer them to follow theirs... so, i thought it wasn't an answer straight away
Yes living religion does say something about sectarianism. However, wen i looked at the q... i eliminated that as my first because I thought sectarianism is about rivalry between denominations in a particular religion tradition, where as interfaith dialgoue is between different religious traditions.... so i dont understand how that would correlate. I thought it must be aboriginal reconcilation... coz that involves Christians as well as Aboriginals and I'm not sure about other faiths... trying to reconcile.... which in a way does promote inter-faith dialogue. Also is q 4 a or b?which statement best expresses basis of Aboriginal lands rights claims? a) a formal legal relationship based on title deedsb) a spiritual relationship of the people to country

Aeriff

HSC
I THINK:
1) C - it cant be A coz secularism is when religion is rejected by society
2) A (gut feeling) and
3) C its definitely c coz B isnt related at all to the Dreaming
This is exactly what I did. Seemed logical to me.

TaraBella

HSC
Also is q 4 a or b?which statement best expresses basis of Aboriginal lands rights claims? a) a formal legal relationship based on title deedsb) a spiritual relationship of the people to country
b) Aboriginals didn't have a legal system. Their claim for land rights was purely spiritual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)