Multiple Choice question (1 Viewer)

waller

HSC
In which situation is asexual reproduction most advantageous:

a) When the environment is constantly changing and large numbers of offspring are produced

b) When the environment is stable and benefits the species

Question from my yearly. I reckon b) but teacher says a).

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
from what i know its b), but i'm not 100% sure, there could be a perfectly good reason for a)

waller

HSC
My reasoning is

-asexual means they're all going to be exactly the same
-therefore in a constantly changing environment, if the environment changes and is unsuitable for the species, the ENTIRE species is fucked even with large numbers

-in an environment that is stable and benefits the species, ALL of the offspring will have the favourable characteristics and be able to survive

lolrofllol

HSC
When the environment is stable why would you need asexual reproduction? Sexual reproduction is possible and practical, it also results in genetic variability.

Some Australian tree was an example, I can't remember which one sorry.

When conditions are stable it uses sexual reproduction with birds pollinating seeds and whatnot. When change occurs, it uses asexual reproduction - I think it was the fire activating asexually produced seeds - don't quote me on it though.

Although I have foggy memory about my example, your teacher is definately right.

waller

HSC
When the environment is stable why would you need asexual reproduction? Sexual reproduction is possible and practical, it also results in genetic variability.
The environment is stable AND benefits the species. Therefore with asexual reproduction, ALL the offspring have the favourable characteristics - genetic variability is NOT needed, as the environment is unchanging and already benefits the species.

And your example is good (too bad you don't remember the name), but you refer to a change ocurring. In the question/answer, the environment is stable and therefore unchanging, so it doesn't apply.

B) , you're teacher is wrong. Trust me I've done this MC before.
Haha that's good to know. I was sure I was right, and when I asked her about it she didn't even give me an answer as to why it was right (only "the people who set the paper said it was right so it is") so hopefully people on here may have an idea.

lolrofllol

HSC
In which situation is asexual reproduction most advantageous:

a) When the environment is constantly changing and large numbers of offspring are produced

b) When the environment is stable and benefits the species
Hmm I guess you could try and think about punctuated equilibrium to understand this type of question.

When the environment is stable, species use sexual reproduction, resulting in genetic variability. They do this because inevitable changes do occur (never assume they don't) and the question implies this if you think logically (since when do we get everlasting stability on Earth?). When these changes occur, the 'equilibrium' or stability is 'punctuated' and the most suitable variations are naturally selected. For this reason, sexual reproduction would be most advantageous in stable environments, and not asexual.

The environment is stable AND benefits the species. Therefore with asexual reproduction, ALL the offspring have the favourable characteristics - genetic variability is NOT needed, as the environment is unchanging and already benefits the species.
You assume that once a stable environment is reached, it lasts forever. If it did, then yes, asexual reproduction is advantageous. But if variations did not arise during stability, we would have nothing being naturally selected when, not if, an adverse change comes through.

Moreover, most forms of asexual reproduction are fast methods of reproducing ones self (e.g. binary fission). Since when is fast reproduction to maintain the survival of a species required in a stable state?

Just one final bit of logic. The environment right now is relatively stable. Cloning is essentially asexual reproduction. Since this is so, would we clone (using tissue culturing) all of the species of crops we depend on for survival because, right now, the stable conditions favour them? What if the conditions turn - we are out of vital crops.

In MC you choose the best answer, and in this case, I would agree with your teacher. (by the way, is this prelim? because i remember getting the exact same mc wrong in prelim)

Sorry for the essay, but I hope you will read it and genuinely consider my opinion.

EDIT: I guess you could interpret the question to be a hypothetical situation of perpetual stability... but I would always assume it applies to real life logic so yeah... dunno

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
you're looking too far into the question. Its just a multiple choice question...

waller

HSC
When the environment is stable, species use sexual reproduction, resulting in genetic variability. They do this because inevitable changes do occur (never assume they don't) and the question implies this if you think logically (since when do we get everlasting stability on Earth?). When these changes occur, the 'equilibrium' or stability is 'punctuated' and the most suitable variations are naturally selected. For this reason, sexual reproduction would be most advantageous in stable environments, and not asexual.
I understand this, and agree with you. HOWEVER, the question refers to asexual reproduction only, no mention of sexual reproduction OR the species having the ability to utilise both forms.

It is asexual reproduction ONLY the question is referring to. The species may or may not have the ability to use sexual reproduction (therefore genetic variability), but seeing as the question never mentions this we cannot just assume it does.

Therefore, out of the 2 options, a) is bad for the species as if the environment changes and is unfavourable, the ENTIRE species is wiped out. b) is a stable environment (yes, never completely stable, but obviously better than "constantly changing"), and it even benefits the species, so all the offspring have the favourable characteristics.

Basically what I'm saying is - remove the possibility of sexual reproduction from your statements. The question does not mention it, and we can't assume the species is able to use both forms.

And yeah, I did assume that for the multiple choice question it was a hypothetical state of perpetual stability, because a lot of multiple choice questions are like that. Still doesn't change my points, though.

you're looking too far into the question. Its just a multiple choice question...
lol true, but my teacher offered no explanation at all. "Paper says it's right, so it is". Thanks lolrofllol for providing reasons and thoughts.

lolrofllol

HSC
I'm just trying to give him reasons why it would be correct...

But I guess telling him there "could be" reasons for the correctness of 'a' is much better input. Bravo!

HSC
i think its A but thats just a feeling.
i cant justify my answer lol, sorry!! just gut instinct!

waller

HSC
lol she'd copied down the answers wrong from the master copy of the marking sheet.. so yeah it was b), but I'm not particularly thrilled because she had absolutely no way of explaining why it even could have been a) in the first place.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)