13. D
14. B
15. C
16. B
17. B
18. D
19. A
20. D
Also, for Q13, if you use the argument that polyethylene can be made from plant material, you can use a similar argument for the others.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Final answers, I just did them all.

Also, for Q13, if you use the argument that polyethylene can be made from plant material, you can use a similar argument for the others.

How can you use similar arguments for others..?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Because you can make styrene and things like that from plants - in theory, if you have the atoms that constitute something, you can make that, given enough reactions.

And really, it's like arguing that you can perform a series to nuclear bombardments to produce chlorine to make chloroethylene and thence, PVC.

So logically, 13A is just wrong.

bangladesh

HSC
Because you can make styrene and things like that from plants - in theory, if you have the atoms that constitute something, you can make that, given enough reactions.

And really, it's like arguing that you can perform a series to nuclear bombardments to produce chlorine to make chloroethylene and thence, PVC.

So logically, 13A is just wrong.

Yeah.. Except making ethanol/ethylene is actually a well known process which is used widely in the industry.... I normally agree with the stuff you say, however i don't agree with you here. My answer might be wrong but your justification does not make so much sense. Yes, you can get PVC and Polystyrene from a series of reactions from plant material but the process would be extremely lengthy and inefficient.

KoshX87

HSC
Zz only got 19/20... But omg the one i got wrong... q11... accidentally multiplied by molar mass woooooooooow would've been 20 god damnit

I even looked back at the question and i thought, something's wrong. But then I'm like nah.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah.. Except making ethanol/ethylene is actually a well known process which is used widely in the industry.... I normally agree with the stuff you say, however i don't agree with you here. My answer might be wrong but your justification does not make so much sense. Yes, you can get PVC and Polystyrene from a series of reactions from plant material but the process would be extremely lengthy and inefficient.
You can disagree as much as you want but seriously, if you actually believe that a plastic cup would have "made from plants" on it...you are delusional.

Your answer is wrong, plain and simple. Not to mention the fact that it says "most likely" - blatantly cellulose.

And really, you're assuming that the process from cellulose to plastic is actually efficient - it really isn't.

bangladesh

HSC
You can disagree as much as you want but seriously, if you actually believe that a plastic cup would have "made from plants" on it...you are delusional.

Your answer is wrong, plain and simple. Not to mention the fact that it says "most likely" - blatantly cellulose.

And really, you're assuming that the process from cellulose to plastic is actually efficient - it really isn't.
The process from cellulose to ethene might not be efficient but it is widely used. The polymerisation step is the same anyway. On the label it says that the plastic cups were made from plants so maybe the board of studies is delusional...

KoshX87

HSC
In the question it says nothing about plastic. It says:
"What is the structure of the polymer most likely to have been used in the manufacture of the cup shown?"

That is all. There is a pic of a cup with a lid and it is labelled "Renewable Creations". It has a tree on it and says "Made from plants"

EDIT: Cellulose is renewable. It is made from plants (it is literally in plants). and you don't get ethylene from a tree, unless you want to pay 1000x more money for your cup,

Makematics

HSC
The process from cellulose to ethene might not be efficient but it is widely used. The polymerisation step is the same anyway. On the label it says that the plastic cups were made from plants so maybe the board of studies is delusional...
what is your point bro? the answer is D. What more is there to discuss?

thebaase

HSC
Guys pls, Renewable creations is the drink band, the drink is made from plants. Answer is polystyrene kthx

KoshX87

HSC
lols i was about to inbox you to tell you to update your sig.
And meh. I still think A could be right.
Its really ambiguous anyways. the labelling on the cup could just be referring to whats inside lol. And it could be a pure trick question, who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)