Music 2 thoughts (1 Viewer)

Red-Wine-&-Joni

HSC
sadj89 said:
oh - and for all you guys - the concerto IS originally written in 5/4 time, that was put in there to put you off! =D
Maybe I am misreading what you're saying, but from here it sounds like you said the concerto is in 5/4 time but the Board of Studies wrote it as 4/4 time. Is that correct?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You can't musically change something from 5/4 to 4/4 if you use the same recording. Phrasing and pulses will be out of whack. I doubt that's what happened.

smiley...

HSC
Don't worry guys, I'm a violinist and it didn't help me with the melody dictation at all.

I looked at it in reading time and smiled to myself thinking perhaps I might do alright, but I just couldn't do it. It didn't help that our CD was skipping, but I didn't even think the first note sounded like a crotchet!

Just such a crazy tough melody.

I thought the essay question was ok - I was glad it only focused on one concept because it was easy to know what to focus on, but I did find it hard to write about three pieces in such a short time!!!

Red-Wine-&-Joni

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
You can't musically change something from 5/4 to 4/4 if you use the same recording. Phrasing and pulses will be out of whack. I doubt that's what happened.
Well, I actually think that the phrases and pusles were out of whack in the recording. The first phrase (G, Bb, D Eb C# D) for me ended on the first beat of bar 2, which indicates that it was out.

All in all, I thought it was very unfair, and very confusing. Particularly in relation to last year's 4 bar phrase.

paulpang22288

HSC
Red-Wine-&-Joni said:
Well, I actually think that the phrases and pusles were out of whack in the recording. The first phrase (G, Bb, D Eb C# D) for me ended on the first beat of bar 2, which indicates that it was out.

All in all, I thought it was very unfair, and very confusing. Particularly in relation to last year's 4 bar phrase.
Bullocks. I've seen HEAPS of out-of-phase music that sounds 5/4 but reads 4/4 or other similar way. Listen to the latter part of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture where the strings play the E flat major scale downwards every four notes... That's another typical example. Don't you know what Hemiola is? That's something similar to this as well, though we all know the way BOS did it was a deliberate alternation. Baah~

Shouldn't blame the paper(though i do think it's quite insane for making it relatively hard compared to previous past papers). One should ask oneself, do I have the ability to overcome the infinite varieties of these musicology papers??

loralie

HSC
N/A
:burn: :burn: :burn: everyone get over it.. YOU CANT CHANGE WHATS ALREADY HAPPENED! so hav a nice break and goodluck with the rest of the exams..

PS. people who are all "oh im so great woo woo," good for you! just don't make yourself sound like such a tool when you talk yourself up next time, ok?!

Abhorsen

HSC
N/A
I thought the test was alright, I've had worse - like our trial exam.

I admit the melodic dictation was a little difficult. I managed to get the rhythm by the 4th-5th playing and just tried to get the general direction of pitch in the 6th playing.

Most of it wasn't too bad, they could have been much more nasty with it, but the essay question really sucked. We didn't even do any study of our pieces at school since our teachers were too pre-occupied with other things. I managed to write as much as I could on pitch in all 3 pieces, so i'm expecting at least a 6/10 for it seeing as I made half of it up.

After completing the musicology i'd be hoping for around a 70% in it, I don't think I went any worse. And like the above post says, what's done is done. Complaining about it won't help you get better marks. Just remember that the markers (probably) won't go looking for every single song you wrote about, listen to it and analyse it just to see if you're right or not. They wouldn't have the time IMO or just wouldn't bother. Most Australian songs in the past 25 years are no-name anyway so they'd be pretty hard to get a hold of, which means making half the stuff up could be good for you as they have to take your word for it, lol.

Btw, was it just me or did anyone else like Extract B Making Angels? I thought it was a great piece.

goodomi

HSC
paulpang22288 said:
Bullocks. I've seen HEAPS of out-of-phase music that sounds 5/4 but reads 4/4 or other similar way. Listen to the latter part of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture where the strings play the E flat major scale downwards every four notes... That's another typical example. Don't you know what Hemiola is? That's something similar to this as well, though we all know the way BOS did it was a deliberate alternation. Baah~

Shouldn't blame the paper(though i do think it's quite insane for making it relatively hard compared to previous past papers). One should ask oneself, do I have the ability to overcome the infinite varieties of these musicology papers??
Does Paul Pang Seem like a weener to anyone else? I can tell he's a classical weener and the type of dude who doesn't know how to party without even having met the guy. Thank God I'm a Jazz musician and most Jazz musicians know how to party. Unlike that guy.

I'm not paying out classical people with the weener comment, Just saying he's the stereotype that gives the music and the musicians a bad name. Sorry all Decent Classical people.

Peace out

Last edited:

loralie

HSC
N/A
oh - my - god! hahahaha... :sleep: :sleep: this is for "goodomi" andd "paul pang" - you need to get over yourselves!! wat the hell is a "classical weener"?!? and if you can hav genres of music that are "weeners" then y cant the jazz musicians be "jazz weeners"? haha but dont worry im sure ur heaps good at partying, so dont let this message or wat "paul pang" says burst your massive jazz-style ego :)
oh, and one should ask oneself, do I have the ability to overcome being a freak?! ill blame BOS all i like for that paper!

goodomi

HSC
loralie said:
oh - my - god! hahahaha... :sleep: :sleep: this is for "goodomi" andd "paul pang" - you need to get over yourselves!! wat the hell is a "classical weener"?!? and if you can hav genres of music that are "weeners" then y cant the jazz musicians be "jazz weeners"? haha but dont worry im sure ur heaps good at partying, so dont let this message or wat "paul pang" says burst your massive jazz-style ego :)
oh, and one should ask oneself, do I have the ability to overcome being a freak?! ill blame BOS all i like for that paper!
What can i say, I'm the king. :cool:

jacaroonie

HSC
I thought that paper was the hardest music paper i've ever done, beside the 1997 which was just as nasty. Stupid melody dictation. i was all good for the essay though, so glad i listened to my music teacher.

Mutationis

Jun Ting Chau
HSC
i thought it was such a hard paper. and as for the melody dictation, i saw that it was a violin and being a violinist i thought that was a blessing....HELL NO!!! it was so confusing. i got most but i think the last 3-4 bars were totally wrong. well at least it was hard for everyone...

mpearse

HSC
cello boy said:
... i honestly thought this was the easiest music 2 test i've ever seen....
i mean section 1 was soo very easy, lied is easy to analyse..
totally agree with you there!
the actual piece was just simply beautiful...i almost decided to sit back and listen for one playing...but then thought about it and decided to write my essay!

cello boy said:
GOSH THE MELODY DICTATION WAS HARD!!! i also didnt work out the rhythm till the 6th playing... i dont know why they would give us an exerpt from an impressionist composer... its bull shite!
Number 1: take note of the fact that if its hard fr you it was hard for everyone and the marks will reflect a scale of difficulty....thats what you want...especially if you are good at music...you cna show you are better than others.

Number 2: prokofiev is not impressionist! that movement didnt even happen in russia

vigNETTE

HSC
yeah, im soooo glad everyone else here found the melody dictation hard, (except for the freaks, pfffft) cos normally I'm good at it, but this sucked. Oh well. three works - yeah that sucked too, but thank goodness i knew my performance piece off by heart. woot! the rest of it was killer easy, [heart]ed it. oh well, 6 units over!! have fun everyone else!!!

loralie

HSC
N/A
goodomi, good to see your ego is in tact.. but i truely fail to see how you are "the king"... you're just a jazz weener, whose jealous of the classical weener! :confused:

ps. 2006 meoldy dictation = hard. similarly to others, being a flautist i thought hearing a violinist would make my job a little easy... pff i wish.. essay really turned the heat up too..

absoloodle

HSC
well if most people thought melody dic was hell...and didnt do well in it, let's all feel good about that. most of us are on a similar level then :) (cept all smart ppls & those with perfect pitch..)
as for the essay...i thought it wasnt general enough, pitch is so specific! id rather one of those "composers use innovation but also borrow techniques" questions, coz then you can talk about pitch, rhythm, performing media etc. tho i spose you cud've said sth about pitch being affected by use of a flute (ie high pitch? :S) ...yeh i hav no idea anymore. and it doesnt really matter! coz its done!

yayness :D

paulpang22288

HSC
goodomi said:
Does Paul Pang Seem like a weener to anyone else? I can tell he's a classical weener and the type of dude who doesn't know how to party without even having met the guy. Thank God I'm a Jazz musician and most Jazz musicians know how to party. Unlike that guy.

I'm not paying out classical people with the weener comment, Just saying he's the stereotype that gives the music and the musicians a bad name. Sorry all Decent Classical people.

Peace out
urgh... yea what's a weener~
I thought jazz guys are in Music 1, or at least they are in my school. Argh.. yea and Australia's a free country, we can all blame whatever we want. Duh*

PS: That's the closest word I've got..:bomb:

ween
[ween]
(past weened, past participle weened, present participle ween·ing, 3rd person present singular weens) transitive verb

suppose something: to think, believe, or suppose something (archaic) [Old English wēnan . Ultimately from an Indo-European base meaning “to desire” that is also the ancestor of English wish and venereal.] MicrosoftR EncartaR Reference Library 2005. c 1993-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

ashgabee

HSC
it was a hard melody dictation, hey? what was with the 3/4 time!?! it took me 4 playings to find the rhythm and then i was all frazzled so i only got like 3 bars right i'm sure...
ah well, at least everyone found it hard!
Essay was cool! I liked that it was broad because you can develop a cool argument. I used the thesis that Composers use pitch to create character, explore expressiveness and depict moods and it worked pretty well., It was nasty to have 3 pieces though. We're the first year to have that!

lala2

Banned
HSC
Sounds like your Music 2 paper was really hard! :eek: Last year, our melody dictation and essay question were quite ok, I reckon (but that's from what little memory is left of the HSC). I liked some piece, can't remember what it was but I think it may have been the melody dictation--the one with a very soothing LH accompaniment in the piano or something like that...anyway, I was enjoying it, and then snapped back, and released, oh dear. Luckily I managed to get the answers to whatever question it was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)