Musicology Viva Voce (1 Viewer)

mztegz

HSC
I`m doing two musicology as my electives, in the topics
- The Instrument and its Reperitoure
- & Music of the 20th and 21st century.

If anyone could help with examples they did from experience, or other people have done; would be GREATLY appreciated.
I have absolutely no idea what I want to base my viva on, and the final 'thinking' time is looming near.

Thankss!

jackjackjackie

HSC
hey im also doing a musicology for one of my electives this year

i've been playing piano for 13 years now.. so i was thinking i might narrow my topic down to something contemporary like coldplay and focus on that

During music class, we actually had a look at some sample musicologies that the board of studies released. It's really easy to scab marks if you're confident in your topic and the fact that your summary sheet is clear and direct. Practise your speech before and time your speech because in most cases they will stop you even before you finish

I think maybe you should start by writing a list of interests that you would WANT to research on. There's no point in picking something that you know you wont be motivated to conduct extensive research on

i hope that helps... goodluck!

cameronbond

HSC
^^^ Exactly.

I'm doing 2 Viva voce's as well.

Led Zeppelin's musical influences

Tom Morello's guitar effects.

2 topics that i KNOW i can talk about, because i can do it normally off the top of my head.

Definetly pick topics that you like.

cameronbond

HSC
LanaAustralia said:
Thats the best topic ever :)
You'd talk about their blues influences yeah?

Eg. Black Dog opening riff; A minor Blues Scale. etc etc.

LanaAustralia

HSC
cameronbond said:
You'd talk about their blues influences yeah?

Eg. Black Dog opening riff; A minor Blues Scale. etc etc.
Yeah. I also have heard that when John Paul Jones wrote that riff he had been listening to a muddy waters album and it was influenced by one of his songs.

I found where i got that info from, heres the quote: "when I wrote "Black Dog". There was a track on Muddy Waters album, "Electric Mud". "That's a really nice construction", I thought. In that way I was inspired by that, but "Black Dog" sounds nothing like it."

even though he says at the end it sounds nothing like it lol. the page is here http://www.expose.org/jpjint.html

Just thought that may be of some use?

I also have this little book of like every led zeppelin album and it kind of gives you info about each song, its very interesting, if i can find it i'll tell you the name of it

Last edited:

cameronbond

HSC
Wow. That didn't really offer help, but thanks anyways. =D

I recently made the plan of i'm going to get a tattoo of the Jimmy Page Zoso symbol over my right pectoral. Would look sweet.

w-tian

HSC
i'm not much of a music expert myself, seeing as i only just started doing music 1 in year 11, but i think for the 20th and 21st century music, you should do a contrast of them and state the changes made to music as time progresses/ed

good luck ;)

ZaraKu

HSC
I did a contrast between Early Beatles (Help!) and Late Beatles (Lucy In The Sky...) for 20th and 21st century and focused on how they used ethnic instruments and new technology (for their time) to develop their sound and how that influenced further genres and bands in the future... Techer said I just needed a good conclusion and to use the scores as aids and i'd be band 6 easy.

My second viva is instrument and it's repertoire with a focus on Delta Goodrem and her vocal techniques and how her style and sound has matured from Not Me, Not I (Innocent Eyes) to In This Life (Delta). Hope it's all good!!

NickyFM

HSC
i know it's probably a bit too late to be posting this seeing as everyone has probably already chosen their viva topics, but my music teacher advised me to be very specific in my viva question because it gives you the ability to go indepth and also gives the examiner a limited list of questions to ask, thus eliminating the situation of you staring blanky at them when they ask something that you have no idea about!

~untitled~

HSC
For music of the 20th and 21st centuries in my hsc last year i did the contrasting styles of Emilie Autumn in "On a Day" and "Opheliac".

I dont think the examiners had heard of by the looks on their faces when i played examples :p. On a day is baroque, and opheliac is industrial rock (and also the most disgusting piece of music ive ever listened to in my life), and i could have gone on for a month about the differences between the two pieces.

chelc

HSC
hey,

im doing 3 vivas for my hsc this year topics are as follows;
1) An instrument and its reportiore - reasons why Ravel decided to arrange mussorgsky's ld castle from piano to saxophone
2) film music - how the feather theme from forrest gump is used to portray the title character.
3) baroque music - compositional techniques.

you want to be careful that you haven't got a complete speech prepared as it is meant to be a disscussion not a speech, so know your stuff but dont have it written as a speech, be prepared to jump around, depending on the questions asked. also make sure you have an angle to to your viva, not just going in with the purpose of analysisng the score. INCLUDE CONCEPTS!!!!!

have recently done my trial vivas and got 20/20 for all of them:eek:

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
cameronbond said:
^^^ Exactly.

I'm doing 2 Viva voce's as well.

Led Zeppelin's musical influences

Tom Morello's guitar effects.

2 topics that i KNOW i can talk about, because i can do it normally off the top of my head.

Definetly pick topics that you like.

jimmy page was HEAVILY influenced by english folk music and celtic music.
guys like davey graham and bert jansh

henderific

Freakin' Awesome.
HSC
eep.

doing the use of synthesizer in 20th and 21st century music O_O
need help? i have motion city soundtrack as a major focus, with texture and tone colour as minor focuses.

anybody have thoughts on the matter? :uhoh:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
henderific said:
eep.

doing the use of synthesizer in 20th and 21st century music O_O
need help? i have motion city soundtrack as a major focus, with texture and tone colour as minor focuses.

anybody have thoughts on the matter? :uhoh:
:bomb:when is your hsc??

henderific

Freakin' Awesome.
HSC
wixxy2348 said:
:bomb:when is your hsc??
nah its cool, did it on thursday, but lol...

i was talking about modern synthesizers and i said, "the oberheim four voice is a common synthesizer...", and the examiner right, hes like "OMG I GOT ONE OF THEM!!!!11!" and me, being lazy, had sorta gotten that of wiki... ><, so he was askin all this shit... lol. so its nothin like a prepared speech, but you need to learn all about the topic :):read: :read: :read:

BROCK-08

HSC
Does anyone know what the best way to do a viva voce thats due tomorrow on the 20th and 21st century music???

I AM STUCKK AND I NEED HELP.

PLEEEEEEAAAASSSSE

henderific

Freakin' Awesome.
HSC
hey, this was mine...

VIVA

Topic: Music of the 20th and 21st century

Focus: use of synth in contemporary music

Concepts: Tone colour, Texture

Examples: Capital H - mcs, Cars - gary n, time turned fragile - mcs

Aspects for Discussion:
1. Background:
- usually keyboard style look
- produces sound by combining different frequencies
- analog synth, digital, software-based
- The first electric synthesizer was invented in 1876 by Elisha Gray
-

2. How synth is used:
- effect in ensemble
- use of synth as principal instrument

3. Range of sounds synth can create

4. Layers of sound

Tone Colour in relation to synth in ensembles
- Synth provides a bright tone to each example except cars, in which it creates a futuristic feel to the song.
- TTF - introduction sets a base for chorus, progresses straight into verse, using no synth, build up to chorus, synth enters, plays same riff as intro

Madge10

HSC
need help with a viva voce in general!! who can help mee?
:eek:

iateaworm

HSC
im doing 2 vivas as well

my first is on the band muse.

and my topic is realy indepth.

"How Matthew Bellamys personal influences have influenced the music of the band pushing the musical boundaries of the Rock genre"

and i digging my own grave by having this as a topic?

if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)