• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muslim People in Australia (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Generator said:
1. Don't waste our time with pathetic comparisons.
2. A religion is essentially a conversation between the text and the believers, and any study that ignores the way in which a religion is practiced would be nothing more than a scholarly exercise in theology.
I suppose if i studies KKK i would have a sound understanding of christanity... U really have to look at mainly the religion itself rather how it is practised. Because the religion deems how it is to be practised.

why? religion is the only factor that dictates a person's practice probably of greater significance is his cultural background. I am sure arab muslims and asian muslims would have different methods of practicing the same religion.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I suppose if i studies KKK i would have a sound understanding of christanity... U really have to look at mainly the religion itself rather how it is practised. Because the religion deems how it is to be practised.
Err... no that would obviously be a selective group. If christianity was made up entirely of members of the KKK and they're claiming the KKK is based on christianity, then fine I accept that example.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Err... no that would obviously be a selective group. If christianity was made up entirely of members of the KKK and they're claiming the KKK is based on christianity, then fine I accept that example.
well - unfortunately thats how religion is practicised nowadays - everyone will claim that they follow religion in the right and only way - but really probably none are following in the way it was meant to be. ITs all convience pick and choose.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well depending on how broad/narrow you want to be, I think you can come up with an acceptable operational definition. For example, to study all christianity I would use an operational definition of something like "Belief in Christ / <Insert basic story of christ, resurection and its' general significance". It doesn't matter that none may be practicing it properly as we have no idea how 'practicing it properly is', that's exactly why looking at the text its self to gain such knowledge about the religion is nothing really but a theological excercise.

banco55

HSC
sam04u said:
Re Generator:
You didn't answer the fundamental question which I proposed, and what it was in response to. NTB, suggested that it was the best way to understand a religion well use my example would it be the best way in that case? What make syou think it would be in any other case?

I also never said that studies of the religion should exclude the way it is practiced in modern times, I never said that. What I did say is that the basis of the religion including the guidelines would be the major study of the religion and therefore you couldn't conclude that a religion as a whole is measured by their extremes. Islam is a relatively large religion and is under attack at large, so there would be an understandable ammount of extremists under these condition. (It's just like in the australian legal system, it's obvious that when mitigating circumstances exist that these sorts of 'anomalies' will exist. )

Deny that Islam is under attack in one way, shape or form at large and prove to me that you truly are an imbecile.
It's a bit of a chicken and the egg thing isn't it? Crazed muslim extremists want to take over various governments (ie egypt, syria etc.) meanwhile the Thai and Filipino governments are having serious problems with extremist muslim groups. So Egypt and Syria supress the muslim nutters and Phillipines etc does the same so suddenly Islam is under attack?

Of course Islam is a very big religion the majority of whom are moderates the problem is it is such a big religion that if a small minority are extremists they can cause a lot of trouble. Also as I've suggested previously Islam seems to have proportionately far more nutters than any other major religion. Correct me if I'm wrong but Islamic groups are the only religious groups that have tried and in some cases suceeeded in toppling governments over the past 30 or more years? In Iran you had the Islamic revolution, taliban in afghanistan, muslim brotherhood in middle east, the civil war in algeria etc. I don't remember a buddhist revolution, extremist catholics toppling a government etc.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
sam04u said:
Lol Captain Ghey reads alot about 'Islam' but he reads about what he wants to not what we want him too. It's his way of reassuring his values but what do you expect? he's the captain of GAY (not as in homosexuals cause he's even a disgrace to them) Lawl... Anyways, Screw him he knows Islam isn't truly like that I mean... this fag calls muslims 'mohammedans' lawl... funny bastard...
The trouble is that you use the "believe everything the media tell you" line unless a source is from someone who satisfies all of:

a) Is an Islamic
b) Speaks Arabic (so you can excuse their calls for violence as misinterpretation into English)
c) Is an official spokesperson/mufti/sheik/mullah/scholar...
d) Expresses views that are in line with whatever your particular sect or otherwise point of view on something, is.

So who's really, reassuring their own values?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
The media has a motive behind every news report as has been seen throughout media networks. They're main objective is to target viewers and not to 'bring the viewers the truth', this was seen in the recent article 'Israeli man killed!'. What is the relevance of his 'background', he's australian now right? It's the medias game and I also judge media fairly if you look at my statements I even called bbc slightly biased to the Lebanese side in the latest conflict. So, I suggest you shut your trap and get your facts right,
you 'flyingspaghettian'.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Also, I want you to show me where I said that I would look for that sort of criteria when making an argument about the credibility of the Media? I see fox news but I've never seen a Lebanese correspondent so I say they have no credibility, they interview mainly Israeli citizens and american jews. Ofcourse, I would argue that their credibility is diminished when they only look at one side of the argument by being biased and also only interviewing people with the beliefs which are opposing the other side strongly.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
sam04u said:
Also, I want you to show me where I said that I would look for that sort of criteria when making an argument about the credibility of the Media? I see fox news but I've never seen a Lebanese correspondent so I say they have no credibility, they interview mainly Israeli citizens and american jews. Ofcourse, I would argue that their credibility is diminished when they only look at one side of the argument by being biased and also only interviewing people with the beliefs which are opposing the other side strongly.
what do you expect, the truth?!
good luck ;)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
poor jones:

Dean Jones sacked after 'terrorist' remark

Cricinfo staff

August 7, 2006

'I have no end of respect for the Muslim faith - that's why I'm so sorry at making such a stupid comment' © Getty Images

Dean Jones, the former Australia Test batsman turned TV commentator, has been sacked by his employers, Ten Sports, after being heard calling Hashim Amla a 'terrorist' on live television during the fourth day's play between Sri Lanka and South Africa at Colombo.

When Amla, who is a devout Muslim, took the catch to dismiss Kumar Sangakkara, Jones was heard to say "the terrorist has got another wicket".

"The switchboards of both Cricket South Africa and SuperSport, that takes a feed of the broadcast to South African audiences, have been jammed with calls from some very angry people," Gerald Majola, Cricket South Africa's chief executive, said.

Shortly after Majola's statement was released Jones was spotted at Colombo airport where he made a statement to journalists. "I'm gone, I'm on the 1am flight," he admitted. "It was a silly and completely insensitive thing to say and, obviously, it was never supposed to be heard over the air. I am truly sorry to have caused offence to anybody and the last thing I intended was to be disrespectful.

"Everyone needs to get away from perpetuating the myth, publicly and privately, that beards associated with the Muslim faith are somehow suspicious, and I intend to do exactly that. The irony is that I am great friends with most of the Pakistan team and they are all Muslims.

"I have no end of respect for the Muslim faith - that's why I'm so sorry at making such a stupid comment," he said. "It does not represent who I am, how I think or what I believe. I will be the first person to apologise to Hashim as soon as I get the chance, and I will assure him that prejudice against anybody, on any basis, is unacceptable and not something I will ever condone."

Majola added that "this kind of insulting racial stereotyping has no place in cricket and must be stamped on swiftly. The ICC has strongly condemned racism and we will be discussing the matter with them."

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Generator said:
Link, HotShot?
i did highlight the Cricinfo part.... partly cos there are some nice articles which i wanted ppl to check out. like inzy's dismassal.

And thanz Rama_v for the link.

just a comment - Dean Jones is top bloke must been a slip of tongue its quite understandable but if ur tv commentator more disclipine and control is needed.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Majola added that "this kind of insulting racial stereotyping has no place in cricket and must be stamped on swiftly. The ICC has strongly condemned racism and we will be discussing the matter with them."
Since when is a religion a race? As far as i know i am within my rights to label, condemn and point out the flaws in any religion. The day Australia becomes so PC that i am not allowed to do this is the day we lose our free speech.

Why should i respect other peoples beleifs anyways? to me they are mostly foolish unfounded assumptions that are taken as a mandate to persecute, kill and humiliate those who do not hold similar beleifs.

If i beleived that everything i saw was false and we are actually living in the matrix, who could prove me wrong? just because it is a beleif does not mean you have to respect it.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
If we are living in the matrix then wouldn't some 1337 haxxor would've already haxxed teh code?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Serius said:
Since when is a religion a race? As far as i know i am within my rights to label, condemn and point out the flaws in any religion. The day Australia becomes so PC that i am not allowed to do this is the day we lose our free speech.
I agree, but I don't think that's what happened. It is racist because he implied that because someone is of race X, they belong to fundamentalist religious group Y, with no other knowledge (as far as I know).

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I agree, but I don't think that's what happened. It is racist because he implied that because someone is of race X, they belong to fundamentalist religious group Y, with no other knowledge (as far as I know).

he saw the beard...and thus triggered.. typically as it would.. to be muslim and then took the next step forward to call him a terrorist.

nothing would have gone wrong if he said : "the muslim takes the catch" - well at least i hope not -- it will bring bit of questioning cos u dont see commentators saying :
"the christian scores a century.."- lol/

more to the point: it was a discriminatory comment.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)