• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My school work (1 Viewer)

HSC
During my SC in 2006, it was my best year in exam results. Here my results:

English: 61%
Maths: 86%
Science: 71%
Geography: 85%
History: 73%
Computers: 75%

Now into my year 11 exams:

Standard English: 52%
Mathematics: 51%
Physics: 50%
Biology: 58%
Chemistry: 35%

My half yearly year 12 exams:

English: 60%
Physics: 42%
Biology: 40%
Chemistry: 38%

My point of this thread is why my exams result is going down on those sciences and maths while english rarely to be my best? I am struggling to get better marks for those bloody important sciences and maths. I seriously need these subjects to be at 70-80% range compared to year 10 results!

I didn't have any trouble in studying those subjects. What makes it harder for me when i study and practise those questions for the exams? Seriously how i gotta admit i get better marks for trials and HSC exams? If i don't, my life would be screwed up in answering questions!

Is the trials and HSC exams questions are easier than year 11 and year 12 half yearly?

EDIT: My target UAI mark is 64. What marks range i should be at?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
Is the trials and HSC exams questions are easier than year 11 and year 12 half yearly?
The trials are usually very difficult, HSC questions arnt too bad (judging by past papers) as long as you know your work. Both would be harder than half yearlies as theres a lot more content you have to learn to do them.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
So using past papers and dot point books make it easier?
Past papers are gold, do as many as you possibly can, i never got into the whole dot point studying thing

runnable

HSC
Depending on your school, 64 doesnt look too good atm.

Keep working on past papers and correct everything you don't understand.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
During my SC in 2006, it was my best year in exam results. Here my results:

English: 61%
Maths: 86%
Science: 71%
Geography: 85%
History: 73%
Computers: 75%

Now into my year 11 exams:

Standard English: 52%
Physics: 50%
Biology: 58%
Chemistry: 35%

My half yearly year 12 exams:

English: 60%
Physics: 42%
Biology: 40%
Chemistry: 38%

My point of this thread is why my exams result is going down on those sciences and maths while english rarely to be my best? I am struggling to get better marks for those bloody important sciences and maths. I seriously need these subjects to be at 70-80% range compared to year 10 results!

I didn't have any trouble in studying those subjects. What makes it harder for me when i study and practise those questions for the exams? Seriously how i gotta admit i get better marks for trials and HSC exams? If i don't, my life would be screwed up in answering questions!

EDIT: My target UAI mark is 64. What marks range i should be at?
If your marks are where they are now, it's not very suprising. The school certificate is about as hard as a limp dick. But there's something going wrong if you are actually trying and still getting the marks you are getting. I do biology and the assessment I had to do for BPoL I totally flunked as I got lost in the whole chemical thing and just switched off. My mark was just under 70%.

I seriously doubt you will attain your UAI target unless if you go totally nuts on the study and something (or more likely, everything) clicks.

For the SC I did no study and my marks were:

Geo: 91%
Maths: 89%
Science: 84%
English: 79% (screwed up the extended response section totally)
History: 88%
Computers: 88%

And that's not outstanding natural ability either. I'm ranked about 50/220 in my year group and my school is only about 130th.

I don't even know how to crack games. The SC computing test was the most ridiculously easy thing I have seen in my life, our school just let us do it as quickly as we wanted then leave. I did mine in less than half the time so I could go and play footy with mates. It was asking things like "which is the minimise button". 75%?

[EDIT] -for your subjects to get that UAI you'd probably be looking at:

Std. English: band 5
Maths (general, I assume): band 5
Chemistry: band 3
Biology: band 4
Physics: band 3

Somebody who's better with remembering how scaling for subjects and stuff could probably patch that up.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Why hasn't anyone mentioned that you can't use raw marks as an indicator for anything? especially raw internal marks.

HSC
I'm not doing Maths General (sorry for confusion). I'm doing mathematics (advanced 2 units).

Great explaination !

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
tommykins said:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned that you can't use raw marks as an indicator for anything? especially raw internal marks.
Usually they are a general indicators of how well you are going though. Schools don't (to my knowledge) go off an make ridiculously easy/hard tests... if they did then they owuldn't have a good indicator of how well the student was going. Also it's apparent that if this guy is getting those type of SC marks then his school tests aren't harder, or at least not by much, than other schools.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
I'm not doing Maths General (sorry for confusion). I'm doing mathematics (advanced 2 units).

Great explaination !
Ahh righteo, then 51% is alright.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
tommykins said:
he's right. for all you know, your school could be hard markers. i know at my school some of the faculties deliberately mark hard to scare you into working more. and your assessments might be harder than at other schools. the important thing is your ranking.

HSC
Got my trials HSC timetable today.

4th August: English (paper 1) 8:55-11:05
5th August: English (paper 2) 8:55-11:05
7th August: Chemistry 8:55-12:00
11th August: Mathematics 8:55-12:00
12th August: Physics 12:50-3:55
13th August: Biology 8:55-12:00

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)