My Sister's Keeper (1 Viewer)

cassieagill

HSC
ooo the book was so sad, i cried through most of it...it was still good tho, i will definitely see the movie :)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
i saw the trailer for this last night. looks very interesting..but by the end of the trailer i was prettyteary. blah. am looking forward to seeing this though, and just might grab the book when i can. anyone heard anything about it?
didnt read the thread
but worst movie ever

read the book first
the ending is completely different to the book and fucking retarded. if you read the book first, it's much better and the ending is much better.

the movie fucked it up

Duffman0

Kick ass, chew bubblegum.
HSC
Saw the movie with the girlfriend, and for those of you who are chick-flick lovers, you'll likely love this movie. Regardles of whether or not those wielding Picoult's book as cannon get to you - this is definitely a well written movie. For those of you considering reading the book before watching the movie, don't. Enjoy the movie first as an an appropriation of the book.

Little do people realise that what takes several hours or days to read must be fit into a two hour block, which often means stuff has to get cut out. Please leave the crying about changes to a minimum because really - how much better could you have done?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Saw the movie with the girlfriend, and for those of you who are chick-flick lovers, you'll likely love this movie. Regardles of whether or not those wielding Picoult's book as cannon get to you - this is definitely a well written movie. For those of you considering reading the book before watching the movie, don't. Enjoy the movie first as an an appropriation of the book.

Little do people realise that what takes several hours or days to read must be fit into a two hour block, which often means stuff has to get cut out. Please leave the crying about changes to a minimum because really - how much better could you have done?
It's not an issue of whether they had to cut things out to make the book fit into the movie you dick.

The issue is, they have completely changed the ending to the point where they've basically rewritten it, not omitted parts. They've fucked the ending, in my opinion, and the ending in the book was far more poignant. The ending in the movie is just some bullshit Hollywood spin.

I could have done a shit load better, thanks for asking. My first port of call would have been to LEAVE THE ENDING ALONE.

clo-ree

HSC
Loved the book - love the movie - was devo how it ended tho.

kaitmaree77

HSC
N/A
I thought as a standalone film, it was pretty decent. Some of the casting was very poor. I thought Sofia Vassilieva was very good casting for Kate, Abigail Breslin not so much for Anna, but she did a job. Don't get me start on Cameron Diaz...

A lot of the changes were totally unneccessary. For example, the aunt. Judge Desalvo being a woman, and things like that.

The ending...well, the ending was what made the book as profound and stunning as it was for me. I'm a huge Picoult fan, I live for these risks, these twists, and I'm frustrated that hollywood felt that the public couldn't handle it. Yes, it was sad, but so was what the showed in the film. I just think it would have stood out more if they'd stuck to the storyline, instead of the close to generic tale.

I actually found the parts that made me cry in the movie were long before the ending, ha.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought as a standalone film, it was pretty decent. Some of the casting was very poor. I thought Sofia Vassilieva was very good casting for Kate, Abigail Breslin not so much for Anna, but she did a job. Don't get me start on Cameron Diaz...

A lot of the changes were totally unneccessary. For example, the aunt. Judge Desalvo being a woman, and things like that.

The ending...well, the ending was what made the book as profound and stunning as it was for me. I'm a huge Picoult fan, I live for these risks, these twists, and I'm frustrated that hollywood felt that the public couldn't handle it. Yes, it was sad, but so was what the showed in the film. I just think it would have stood out more if they'd stuck to the storyline, instead of the close to generic tale.

I actually found the parts that made me cry in the movie were long before the ending, ha.
That was an awesome post lol
I can't wait to see the movie

klaris

HSC
I saw the trailer when I was at the movies, waiting. It was sad, lol. I was actually getting a bit teary near the end but I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie, even though a lot of people say Piccoult's books are trash?

Are they? Aren't they? Someone told me about 19 Minutes written by her and it is about a school shooting and the ramifications of that so it sparked my interest but I also hesitated to read it.

Should I?

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I saw the trailer when I was at the movies, waiting. It was sad, lol. I was actually getting a bit teary near the end but I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie, even though a lot of people say Piccoult's books are trash?

Are they? Aren't they? Someone told me about 19 Minutes written by her and it is about a school shooting and the ramifications of that so it sparked my interest but I also hesitated to read it.

Should I?
well she isn't exactly high culture - as far as i can tell (i read about 60 pages of the tenth circle before i had to delete it from my computer) it's sappy trash churned out for a young through to middle aged female target . it sells but it's not anything close to brilliant writing. if you like cliched teary rubbish then you will probably enjoy it. that being said, it is definitely not for me and i have absolutely no intention of seeing what looks like a terrible film

kaitmaree77

HSC
N/A
well she isn't exactly high culture - as far as i can tell (i read about 60 pages of the tenth circle before i had to delete it from my computer) it's sappy trash churned out for a young through to middle aged female target . it sells but it's not anything close to brilliant writing. if you like cliched teary rubbish then you will probably enjoy it. that being said, it is definitely not for me and i have absolutely no intention of seeing what looks like a terrible film
Respecting your opinion, and I do agree that a lot of the books can be pretty generic and "sappy", but I think you'd find a lot of those are the ones that are actually those that appeal more to a wider public, are sold better, and therefore are made into movies such as the one we're posting about.

The lesser known ones by Jodi are actually my favourites, Such as Mercy, Harvesting the Heart, and Salem Falls. I don't think that it's fair to call her writing cliche, as she's gone where a lot of writers wouldn't dare to and it's a lot higher calibre than what sells today.

I also don't think that My Sister's Keeper as a tale can be judged by the movie, or the preview, because it's a lot deeper a concept on paper, and explores so many fascinating aspects of human nature and relationships. I think it's a beautiful tale.

But again, each to his or her own! :)

Last edited:

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Respecting your opinion, and I do agree that a lot of the books can be pretty generic and "sappy", but I think you'd find a lot of those are the ones that are actually those that appeal more to a wider public, are sold better, and therefore are made into movies such as the one we're posting about.

The lesser known ones by Jodi are actually my favourites, Such as Mercy, Harvesting the Heart, and Salem Falls. I don't think that it's fair to call her writing cliche, as she's gone where a lot of writers wouldn't dare to and it's a lot higher calibre than what sells today.

I also don't think that My Sister's Keeper as a tale can be judged by the movie, or the preview, because it's a lot deeper a concept on paper, and explores so many fascinating aspects of human nature and relationships. I think it's a beautiful tale.

But again, each to his or her own! :)
higher calibre? you've got to be kidding. just because something sells a lot of copies does not mean it is actually worthy of any literary praise. like i said, piccoult writes for a target and churns out the fiction with an audience in mind with the intent to sell. im not saying that necessarily is bad, i recognise that writing is a hard thing to be financially successful at, but at the cost of retaining any sort of flair or creativity?

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Cameron Diaz was a bad casting choice.
She is too well known and too annoying ay.

HSC
It's not an issue of whether they had to cut things out to make the book fit into the movie you dick.

The issue is, they have completely changed the ending to the point where they've basically rewritten it, not omitted parts. They've fucked the ending, in my opinion, and the ending in the book was far more poignant. The ending in the movie is just some bullshit Hollywood spin.

I could have done a shit load better, thanks for asking. My first port of call would have been to LEAVE THE ENDING ALONE.
Agree, the ending should have been left as is.

ALTHOUGH, you can argue that the ending in the book is very abrupt. I'd agree that it should have been left alone, however the whole movie was 'softened out', and as a result the ending needed to be as well.

kaitmaree77

HSC
N/A
higher calibre? you've got to be kidding. just because something sells a lot of copies does not mean it is actually worthy of any literary praise. like i said, piccoult writes for a target and churns out the fiction with an audience in mind with the intent to sell. im not saying that necessarily is bad, i recognise that writing is a hard thing to be financially successful at, but at the cost of retaining any sort of flair or creativity?
Woah, okay, in my reply I stated that I thought that the bestsellers were probably the lower quality - to appeal to a wider audience.

If you read her earlier works, as I have, there's a pretty big difference in quality. I don't know, I think she's pretty decent in general and she is one of my favourite authors. I don't consider myself someone that's easily impressed by a novel, or an author, I think that Picoult's latest are pretty average but her earlier works are pretty amazing books.

I do know what you mean about writing for a specific audience, but I honestly don't believe that she's neccessarily brought her writing down to a lower level for the sake of selling copies. Maybe a few plotlines, a few endings (Handle With Care is the first one I'm ready to admit was totally unlike her) but I think that the overall literary quality is pretty damn good.

doopsta786

HSC
i cried through he book really sad can't wait though will be going t osee it straight after trials YAH can't wait:)

spiny norman

HSC
Woah, okay, in my reply I stated that I thought that the bestsellers were probably the lower quality - to appeal to a wider audience.

If you read her earlier works, as I have, there's a pretty big difference in quality. I don't know, I think she's pretty decent in general and she is one of my favourite authors. I don't consider myself someone that's easily impressed by a novel, or an author, I think that Picoult's latest are pretty average but her earlier works are pretty amazing books.
Nah, she's right. For some real amazing books of modern times (and books that actually do push the boundaries), check out the works of Cormac McCarthy or Don DeLillo or Philip Roth. Picoult is trite, no better than Twilight for adults.

That said, the movie actually looks kinda okay. Nick Cassavettes is a decent director (not his father or anything, but he does sappiness well). I might watch it on DVD.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Out of curiosity for those of us who haven't read the book, can someone post its ending in spoiler tags?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)