Myer Group interviews (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey,
I have a group interview with myer coming up soon for christmas casuals, and i was wondering if anyone had been to one and what question they ask you, what they ask you to do etc

what are the chances like of actually getting the job, and also do you think they would have a problem with me not able to start work until late november when uni exams end?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
They start off asking you to introduce yourself to everyone on your table (for me there were 2 tables in the room, and 1 supervisor at each table taking down notes), then they ask you to tell everyone something interesting about yourself.

Then they give you a mock situation, mine was something like "there's gonna be a kids toy sale, how would you set up the kids section of the store" something like that (it was 3 years ago..), then everyone comes up with ideas. Its no turn based thing, so its a very good idea to speak up first off and say as much as you can, so the supervisor person can see that you're saying a lot and know what you're talking about.

I cant remember what else they asked..

HSC
Thanks for the input!

Whats a good reply to the whole toy sale thing it seems like a popular question, im scared im gonna frezze up or someone will be over eager and monopolize the activity and i wont get a chance to speak up.

Also are the people in charge generally nice? Because i've heard stories about some of them being really nasty :(

lil dynamyt

HSC
I got an email today saying to go to a group interview as well. This is my first interview so im kinda nervous.

lil dynamyt

HSC
Probably would also depend on the availability you put down. They said to wear business attire. Would i need to wear a tie or do you reckon pants and a buttoned shirt would be good enough.

JasRulz63

HSC
I had my interview on Friday at Myer Melbourne's Lonsdale Street store. Was my first ever interview, so was as nervous as crazy. But people at my table were quite nice, and the supervisor seemed pretty good too.

You go into a room and are put into tables of around 10-12 other candidates, and there's about 4 tables. Each table has a supervisor that looks over what you do, and assesses whether you'd get job or not basiically. You start with a slideshow about Myer, and the positives about working with Myer, what they look for, and about Myer etc. Before this, you have to fill out forms listing availability and other relevant info. Don't forget to bring the ID.

Then there's three activities. First one involves everyone seperating into two (or three) with the person next to them on table, and talking about who they are, what previous work experience they have had, and why they'd be a good candidate for Myer. Then, you basically sell that person to everyone else at the table.

Next activity involves the group being given a situation (in our case, it your in a busy department, and your being given 5 different scenarios, and what order you'd do them). We had to put in order, a distraught mother, stack of stock on floor which is a safety hazard, long line of customers at checkout, someone on phone for 5 mins waiting, and messy change rooms. Basically in my opinion, safety comes first, then customer service.

The last activity (and the most difficult for me) was that you were given three items to sell (ours was perfume, bed spread and child's t-shirt), and you had to write down a feature, and link a benefit to it. Then you were to choose one of the items, and sell it to the person next to you while everyone else on table watched. I found this task very daunting, and the person next to me was very good at it.

As for dress, everyone there was dressed in business atire, there were a good mix of people in suits, others with shirt and tie, and other ones with just formal shirts or dress. Some came in casual clothing, which I didn't think was too smart. I personally went for black pants, white shirt and a black tie, which is basically Myer's dress code.

Hope this helps :)

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
For those who struggle with feature and benefits, my boss gave me this little tip: "Feature tells, benefit sells".

So, say for example you were selling a backpack. Feature: the backpack has a padded back and straps. Benefit: padded section can be used for storing delicate goods, is comfortable on your back and shoulders because of padding, acts as a reinforcement against outside probes (or protractors sticking out through the fabric etc).

I worked in Myer a few years ago (not employed by Myer, but as a contractor for a promotions company). The atmosphere is nuts, especially around Christmas. In my experience, a lot of permament staff go on ego trips to the Christmas casuals, especially floor managers. So work hard and ignore all the drama and gossip lol.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
my myer group interview last year split us into groups of 4 and each group was given a hypothetical situation and asked what we'd do with it. we had 10 mins to work on it, and then 2 people in the group would present it (helps to be one of the last groups to present as you can incorporate other groups ideas lol) this is then repeated with the other two people presenting second time round.

i was offered the position but had to decline it because they required me to start halfway through october and i still had exams.

HSC
Thanks for the info guys!

hopefully i get the job (and they dont mind that i can start in late november)

Nousiainen

HSC
N/A
OMFG, I can't believe you all managed to get fucking interviews to go to!

Myer decided to reject my application for Christmas casual work with "Oh sozza we have no positions".

WHAT A BUNCH OF LYING FUCKING WANKER DICKHEAD CUNTS!!!!!!!!11111111ELEVENFUCKINGTWELVE11 :burn:

I even applied for every single day, fucking had to call my referees to put their names down, etc

Searching for a job has been the worst experience of the year for me!

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
OMFG, I can't believe you all managed to get fucking interviews to go to!

Myer decided to reject my application for Christmas casual work with "Oh sozza we have no positions".

WHAT A BUNCH OF LYING FUCKING WANKER DICKHEAD CUNTS!!!!!!!!11111111ELEVENFUCKINGTWELVE11 :burn:

I even applied for every single day, fucking had to call my referees to put their names down, etc

Searching for a job has been the worst experience of the year for me!
Have you tried applying for smaller companies? The larger ones are flooded this time of year...I know how you feel, I was unemployed this time last year and it was very stressful. Don't give up though, I was in a shopping centre for 5 mins today and there are signs out there (maybe less than usual, but they are still around).

Frannz

HSC
Is it possible to get rejected after being shortlisted? I got the email about being shortlisted a week or so ago and haven't heard from them since

Nousiainen

HSC
N/A
Have you tried applying for smaller companies? The larger ones are flooded this time of year...I know how you feel, I was unemployed this time last year and it was very stressful. Don't give up though, I was in a shopping centre for 5 mins today and there are signs out there (maybe less than usual, but they are still around).
Thanks for the empathy. It is really really hard for me right now to get a job and I have been trying endlessly for months and months and months, and I keep getting shot in the knees, countless rejections, etc. I've just had enough. I won't give up applying, but I have given up hope at least because it just seems so difficult now. I've applied for both small companies, big ones, and it's always the same result. Even cleaning jobs are so hard to attain!

tau281290

HSC
Oh i got invited for the interview as well, which is giving me a mix of emotions now...i am very happy that i got the interview, but its just the beginning? I am wondering where are your interviews? mine is in Chatswood RSL club...could we be on the same boat?

Well, just a tip here from wise people. Making a new friend/s before the start of the group interview would be soo much an advantage during the interview process. You will feel a lot more confident.

Frannz

HSC
No interview email for me, after 2 weeks now. Most likely rejected after being shortlisted, how sad

tau281290

HSC
oooo..! i booked mine on the 10th thurs 2 pm. What about you?

HSC
castle hill was one of my preferances but i put down for hornsby as my first option and thats the one i got an interview for

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)