NBN worst case cost scenario (without Telstra): $18 billion dollars (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
So much for the $43 billion dollar figure.

A comprehensive study of the infrastructure project concludes that the cost would be between $25 and $35 billion, of which half will be funded by private industry, for a cost of between $13 billion and $18 billion to the government, depending on factors such as whether Telstra is on board or not.

Significantly less than predicted by both government (initially) and critics.

NBN study to be revealed today

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is over 8 years. Up to $18 billion over 8 years, so about $2 billion per year.

Last edited:

aussie-boy

HSC
Thats $857 per person... I'll easily get $857 of value over my life from 100mbps+ internet

HSC
Thats $857 per person... I'll easily get $857 of value over my life from 100mbps+ internet
okay what if you dont want 100mbps internet or cant afford $857 for some internet cos you would rather spend it on medicine (or illegal drugs, it doesnt really matter what, its your money)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I forgot to mention the cost is spread over 8 years of deployment, too, so in effect it's more like $2 billion per budget.

I don't know that I agree with you Dan. First, it's not an either/or scenario, and secondly there's a huge potential for emergent technology in the internet and its evolution - things like telesurgery are a good example.

There's also the more tangible capacity to greatly improve economic productivity for both private and public industry. It's also a largely 'one-off' infrastructure spend with benefits for all that are permanent.

The Coalition has admitted it won't roll back the NBN next time it achieves office.

But hey, I'm a massive Singularity wank. I don't mind a little government spending to get us there.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
okay what if you dont want 100mbps internet or cant afford $857 for some internet cos you would rather spend it on medicine (or illegal drugs, it doesnt really matter what, its your money)
Not wanting to pay tax is really a topic for another thread, sorry. Restrict your argument to why this might be a waste of tax revenue.

aussie-boy

HSC
ugh you fucking idiot look at the opportunity cost of the 18bn you fuckwit

hospitals, transport, reforms etc

I'd rather save lives than have faster internet
If we're talking intangibles, look at the opportunity cost of not spending the $18bn, i.e. massive sacrifices in economic growth. I don't think you understand the potential of 100mbps internet in improving productivity and quality of life.

HSC
aboriginals arent going to utilise 100mbps internet to download petrol are they
(or are they?)

and they are lagging in quality of life, the rest of us are leading the world

HSC
2% of our population are the wrong colour and functionally retarded, they dont even know what computer is

pman

Banned
HSC
I manage fine without 100mbps and so does everyone else...we managed without the net four years...it won't kill us not having it. not having hospitals will

aussie-boy

HSC
Holy fucking shit you idiot why don't we just spend all of our money then 24/7

stop posting
Absolutely shit comeback dude

Your reason for the NBN being bad was that we should spend the money elsewhere... (not not spend it at all)

aussie-boy

HSC
then i'm all for it if its required to run them (and the robots are actually going to be used frequently)
Its a huge misconception that 100mbps is overkill

Not only will hospitals be able to facilitate remote surgery, they will be able to stream full hd video from the bush in order to get expert advice from the city, and they'll be able to develop a database of patient history (one of the biggest obstacles to efficient treatment atm)

And this is just one small area

pman

Banned
HSC
Its a huge misconception that 100mbps is overkill

Not only will hospitals be able to facilitate remote surgery, they will be able to stream full hd video from the bush in order to get expert advice from the city, and they'll be able to develop a database of patient history (one of the biggest obstacles to efficient treatment atm)

And this is just one small area
for most people its overkill though!

EDIT: at the moment

HSC
pman did you stop to think about perhaps that internit speed is the limiting factor and if we had faster internet we could then develop things to utilise it

instead of developing things to utilise 100mbps internet then not having the network to facilitate it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)