Need help figuring out post-graduate Med pathway (1 Viewer)

zizi2003_

HSC
so initially I had planned on doing psychology (hons) and then GAMSAT in my third year to gain entry into post-graduate medicine. But upon thinking about it a bit more now I feel like it's not a very sustainable career choice and I may end up wasting 3/4 years in psych if I do gain entry into medicine. Also, psychology is ultimately my back-up...and if I end up not passing GAMSAT, i know for sure i won't be happy with doing masters in psych

So another option is for me to do a med sci degree - and I know many people will be against this - but I heard they actually prepare you for GAMSAT as well?

also, is it possible for me to do UCAT in my first year of uni (next year)? if so, then would it be feasible to do UCAT whilst in psych at MQ? and if I pass the UCAT, would I have to transfer unis since MQ doesn't offer undergrad med?

Can someone please suggest a better option or help clear things:)

Leadmen4y

HSC
Strongly against the med sci degree, just read this: https://medstudentsonline.com.au/fo...-other-medicine-applicants.32824/#post-303099

Pre sure it (med sci degree) doesn't prepare you for the gamsat, the best practice is acer's practice questions and papers, no external resources come close. It's a skills test over content I'm pre sure the only content you only need is 1st year uni knowledge on bio + chem and year 12 phys for section 3. ppl literally do art degrees and are still able to do well in the gamsat so.

100% sure there are a few unis that take ucat + gpa/wam: https://medstudentsonline.com.au/fo...-selection-criteria-y12s-non-standards.31845/

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I'm aware, the Bachelor of Medical Science can be utilised to undertake further studies in areas related to this degree. I have a friend who is studying this degree at WSU and is aiming to pursue either a Master of Forensic Science or a Master of Pharmacy after completing his Bachelor's degree.

As established above, I don't believe that the Bachelor of Medical Science path is suitable if your intention is to ultimately study Medicine. Clearly, the purposes of completing a Bachelor of Medical Science are different to those manifested in receiving an offer to study the Doctor of Medicine.

I hope this helps! 😄

icycledough

HSC
so initially I had planned on doing psychology (hons) and then GAMSAT in my third year to gain entry into post-graduate medicine. But upon thinking about it a bit more now I feel like it's not a very sustainable career choice and I may end up wasting 3/4 years in psych if I do gain entry into medicine. Also, psychology is ultimately my back-up...and if I end up not passing GAMSAT, i know for sure i won't be happy with doing masters in psych

So another option is for me to do a med sci degree - and I know many people will be against this - but I heard they actually prepare you for GAMSAT as well?

also, is it possible for me to do UCAT in my first year of uni (next year)? if so, then would it be feasible to do UCAT whilst in psych at MQ? and if I pass the UCAT, would I have to transfer unis since MQ doesn't offer undergrad med?

Can someone please suggest a better option or help clear things:)
You do have a few options;

Macquarie has a post grad medicine pathway, where you do a clinical sciences course for 2 or 3 years, of which the last year consists of GAMSAT preparation, so may better align with your intended pathway.

With regards to reserving medicine spots, ANU has a postgrad pathway, where you do a medical science degree for 2 years (in a cohort of 60) and then 30 students are selected for a 4 year post-graduate medicine degree (of which 10 seats are reserved for rural or Indigenous students; I'm not sure which out of the 2). But the disadvantage would be having to move out for 2 years.

zizi2003_

HSC
Macquarie has a post grad medicine pathway, where you do a clinical sciences course for 2 or 3 years, of which the last year consists of GAMSAT preparation, so may better align with your intended pathway.
how many spots does MQ reserve? i heard it's max top 10 but not too sure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)