Need help (1 Viewer)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I wanna keep this simple, I need to create a hand crank which is going to spin a magnet or 2 in a wire coil which is then going to generate electricity.

I literally have the next 8 hours to do this, strictly everyday homemade items please.

HOMEMADE HANDCRANK!!!

(Please draw and attach pic on here if you can help me with this, thanks in advance!)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Or you could get sick and have 32 hours to do it :p

Damn man!
Tomorrow the head science Teacher is pulling me out class for the whole day along with other students to do this project and present it on a board but I'm stuck with the HAND CRANK PART!!! ARGHHH

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

SO STRESSED ATM!!!

Technoash

HSC
You need to make it so that the magnet spins quickly even when the handcrank itself is moving slowly. Did you see my picture in your other thread?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
You need to make it so that the magnet spins quickly even when the handcrank itself is moving slowly. Did you see my picture in your other thread?
I'll have a look at it now

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
But your hand crank method was abit hard. Keep in mind I'm still I'm high school! I'm no way near as good as an electrical engineer

Technoash

HSC
But your hand crank method was abit hard. Keep in mind I'm still I'm high school! I'm no way near as good as an electrical engineer
i ain't no engineer. the magnet will have to spin pretty fast to even power an LED. i would get the ratios working or think of another idea if i was u.

if you get 2 motors, connect their axels together, power one, and connect an LED to the other you would have a electric -> kenetic -> electric -> light conversion. maybe this is something you could show off?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
i ain't no engineer. the magnet will have to spin pretty fast to even power an LED. i would get the ratios working or think of another idea if i was u.

if you get 2 motors, connect their axels together, power one, and connect an LED to the other you would have a electric -> kenetic -> electric -> light conversion. maybe this is something you could show off?
So even if I do spin the magnet inside the coil it won't even guarantee glowing the led?!?!?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Umm you need a minimum of at least 0.7 V to even light up the LED. Ideally, use something around 3 V.

What I suggest is, glue some magnets to a cage like structure (can be anything cylindrical with your crank on the end of it to spin it) then have about 200 loops of wire that is always stationary, but close and completely around the magnets. These loops of wire will act as an inductor in series with the rest of the circuit.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Umm you need a minimum of at least 0.7 V to even light up the LED. Ideally, use something around 3 V.

What I suggest is, glue some magnets to a cage like structure (can be anything cylindrical with your crank on the end of it to spin it) then have about 200 loops of wire that is always stationary, but close and completely around the magnets. These loops of wire will act as an inductor in series with the rest of the circuit.
I like this idea, can you draw it of you have time today please?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Uhh yeabh I won't get around to draw until later tonight about after 8 pm. On phone now soz. Just try to get at what I am saying though. Get a cylinder tape/attach it to a z shaped metal rod so you can spin it and attach the magnets to the cylinder all around the surface area. You need very strong magnets though otherwise this will not work! Then make a cylindrical housing and wrap at least 200 loops of wire around it. Make sure you use a medium with good permittivity such as an iron laminated frame otherwise this will not work either (unless you can stick the wire on the inside of the housing which is a good idea as now you have an insulator too!!!)

Long story short is that you need good equipment or else you may have to turn to another idea instead.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
So have you decided on a final problem statement?
I have, I'm going with the liquid cells, teacher said that the hand crank generator was abit complicated and that's a project for later on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)